Yogurt

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Beth Gallagher, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you like yogurt? My favorite yogurt is The Greek Gods Honey Vanilla; it is really good... especially with a handful of blueberries tossed in.

Since I have starting watching carbs, it seems that most yogurt (especially the fruit or flavored ones) have too many carbs. A lot of them are made with reduced fat milk or whole milk, so I was wondering if anyone had made yogurt from half-and-half or cream, which have less carbohydrates than milk. I looked online and found that people say it works so I have decided to try it.

I dug around in the Kitchen Overflow cabinet in the garage to find my Salton Yogurt Maker. I have had it since 2006 and couldn't remember whether it had taken the ride to GoodWill, but it was still in the cabinet! Since it takes 8-10 hours to make the yogurt I will wait until tomorrow to test this out.

Do you make homemade yogurt?

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember reading somewhere that you can save the curds from kefir and make something like yogurt with it. That might be low carb.
    @Yvonne Smith might know.

3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to make my own unflavoured youghurt however with the ever increasing prices for milk/ electricity/ yoghurt starter / powdered milk
    I like a nice firm probiotic yoghurt so I used a starter . it’s honestly not worth my while making
    The milk alone costs $3.20 for 1 Ltr …..so I buy ready made plain Greek yoghurt from Aldi 1 kg for $3.79

IMG_6400.jpeg

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You can make either kefir or yogurt using half and half cream if you want to , @Beth Gallagher . The Greek Gods yogurt has a lot of carbs because it is sweetened, but even plain whole milk GG yogurt is good, and much lower carb, and then you can just add the blueberries to that.

5. Kate Ellery

Registered

I add either frozen blueberries or my own home grown stewed or preserved fruit ..I zap any frozen fruit in microwave for 20 seconds
    I got a Aldi Greek yoghurt here in Canberra a few days ago ..I’ll look at nutrition label BRB

This cost $3.99 at Aldi I never have flavoured style it way to sweet for me …

IMG_6401.jpeg IMG_6403.jpeg

John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Or you can take a short cut and just pour heavy whipping cream over a bowl of blueberries sweetened with aspartame. It is sooooo good.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just love that little touch of honey in yogurt... SO good. I had purchased a large size Greek Gods Honey Vanilla before I started cutting carbs so I have been eating very small amounts (1/4 cup or so) just to use it up. For some reason it is really hard to find full-fat yogurt in any of the stores around here. I guess most people are trying to cut calories and want the low fat stuff.

John Brunner and Kate Ellery like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Big "NO" on the aspartame, but I agree about the cream and berries. :D

9. Kate Ellery

Registered

You are far better off adding your own sweetness / fruit @Beth Gallagher then you know exactly what you are eating
    some food labels just add …fruit flavouring…… but exactly what are you consuming ….

We went to a friends for my birthday and she added a tin of diced … “Labeled” pears / peaches ( in same can) to a fruit salad ……and it upset me I stated itching my lips were tingling 1/2 hour after eating some of the “fruit salad “ so I read the cans ingredients in TINY lettering it said
    dried pineapple / pineapple juice ….I'm highly allergic to pineapple so I was itchy for a week after consuming the pineapple laced fruit
    From CHINA….

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    John Brunner and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

I rarely eat ice cream @Shirley Martin but if I do I add cream on top it sets hard like that chocolate topping that sets hard when you add it on top of ice ream

11. Kate Ellery

Registered

I buy the full fat yoghurt as I posted a while ago @Beth Gallagher often the low fat product have more fillers to thicken the watery yoghurt as well as added hidden sugars.

Look at the label and compare to low fat yoghurts it’s not much in the way of difference in calories.

DH likes Aldi blueberry or mixed berry …the blueberry yoghurt contains purple carrot juice …( not an issue but it’s good to know )
    .so unless we are prepared to spend hours online investigating what ingredients are in foods we consume we honestly don’t realise what we are eating at times

John Brunner and Krystal Shay like this.
  12. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I tried it for a while. It was OK but kind of a "so what" thing for me. It's for snacking and I'm not a snacker so it didn't fit my routine.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Beth, I do like yogurt also like Vanilla whole fat. Even when I was at a good weight or even 30lb.x overweight, I try not to use low fat anything.

14. Kate Ellery

Registered

My DH didn’t like yoghurt either …but now that’s all he eats for breakfast ..he likes the mixed berries one from Aldi
    and it’s got the goodies in it the keep for your gut heathy @Ed Wilson

15. Kate Ellery

Registered

This is the one DH likes and eats for breakfast think this is about $4.50 in Aldi
    the unflavoured / plain is lower in carbs which I try to ovoid / keep,a watch on

IMG_6407.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024