Young People Depressed

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Tim Burr, May 11, 2018.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Just read an article, how today's youth are 'Depressed'.

Seems that, in our country, people living in Rhode Island have
    the most problems and those living in Hawaii, the least.

Think about that for a second.

Location?

Are they depressed because 'life' rewards are not as quick as their
    internet connection?

Are we seeing the fruit of the 'everyone gets a trophy' manifest
    laid out a few years ago?

It is sad that so many people feel depressed.

The Drug Companies must be pleased.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

It 'is' very sad
    I would not like to be a teenager today - far too much pressure and not enough sincerity
    Its a worldwide problem

Terry Page and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The first thing that came to mind are the physical activities that kids can be involved with in the various geological areas. While the weather conditions are totally different in the examples given in the OP, are there any vast differences in say, school curriculum regarding gym classes in school?

There are probably hundreds of studies out there focusing on everything from kids coming from divorced families to which style of jeans make kids feel better. I have not performed any studies on the matter so I do wonder if perhaps a comparative graph including the cases of ADD, ADHD would be nearly synonymous with the over all cases of depression. And with that, in a separate graphing, would we find that a lack of exercise to be closely married with the last two?

It is my understanding that today’s public government schools have gym class but only as an elective whereas it used to be mandatory at every school I ever attended. It seemed as though we had less pill popping, less suicide, less obesity and overall healthier kids.

I could be wrong but if a few extra pushups doesn’t work in order to get Johnny out of his depressive state then perhaps he just might need a slap on the back of the head and told to suck it up and get busy.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Here I go again:D, I think this is much more for big city kids/teens/young folks rather than country, farm and ranch types. These young folks have livestock and growing crops responsibilities more than sitting playing games on a tv or computer or hanging out at the nearest McDonalds or 7-11 store. These young folks get into FFA, 4-H, Ag, Little Britches/Jr./High School and College rodeo. I was involved in 4-H and had a great time. Country, farm and ranch living is totally different than being brought up in a "city" environment.

Maryt Hope likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

I agree outside activity is so important, too many stuck in their rooms, schools should encourage bonding too
    as it seems the 'hip' thing to do, is to put others down
    Just glad I was a 60s girl - 50s and 60s :p :cool:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Schools should encourage bonding, but there are students that won’t listen to school officials just like they don’t like to listen to their own parents.

Maryt Hope likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

True - but I've seen perseverance pay off
    Depends on the teacher of course and some have just got the knack

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As a child, I learned never to say, "I'm bored" to my parents because they'd put me to work at something that I didn't want to do. My dad's response would begin with, "Well, I can solve that," and then he'd go on to assign me to clean the barn or milk the damned goat, or something else. Plus, there was rarely any reason to be bored, this despite the fact that the only organized activities we had was Boy Scouts, Little League baseball and an occasional youth activity at church.

Tom Galty, Bobby Cole and Maryt Hope like this.
  9. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

I think growing up the world IN THE EARLY 50S was lovly and the sun always shone.

But as a teenager Rock and roll happened and I have always BEEN HAPPY SINCE

Terry Page, Don Alaska and Maryt Hope like this.
  10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

This study was by Blue Cross Blue Shield.

The States mentioned in the OP, are their stats.

I am sure there is a link to the Opioid Epidemic in America.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'll still stick with the answer of "no" when it comes to country, farm and ranch young folks.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think that a lot of the fault lays on our own shoulders. Are not we the generation which did away with corporal punishment thus allowing a new frame of mind within the student body and future students as well?
    I am not saying that a few whacks was the best remedy in the world for a wayward child but it certainly stood as the Sword of Damocles' over the heads of those who were mindful of the consequences for stupidity.

In years past, when a teacher said something, kids listened or found themselves at the principle's office awaiting a judgment but now the only thing a principle can do is to suspend or expel which gives the student a "nice" vacation.
    There is no sense of accountability nor consequence so why should today's students listen to anyone but some "celebrity musician" on the boom box??

Let's face it; our generation started the ball rolling toward Hades and now, in the future, we are complaining about it.
    It was our generation who started the free love movement, and trust no one over 30, and commune hopping not to mention all of the dope that was smoked in front of the kids so why shouldn't the generation of today be any different or worse.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Girls were never paddled though when I went to school so it wasn't a deterrent for us. :)

Bobby Cole likes this.