Youth Crime, Penalties

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Silvia Benoit, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

I try but I fail to understand the reasons most countries don't judge a youth for the crime he / she committed with the same rules as they do the adults.
    If the youth committed murder...why he /she doesn't receive the same sentences as do a criminal over 21 y/o?
    Recently a 16 y/o boy beheaded a 6 y/o kid and instead of the death penalty he "" only"" received 103 years sentence.
    Why we should support him until his death?

Faye Fox and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Are you being satirical?
    As a teacher you must know something about teenagers vs. 21 yr. olds.

3. Silvia Benoit

Registered

No satirical at all...neither talking about a silly crime such as breaking windows
    Why should we incarcerate only until he / she 21 y/o a youth who killed a person? Murder is murder.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I’m a little confused. I can see the Youth thing but there’s also a question of the capital punishment issue.
    In most states, teenagers 16 and older can be tried as an adult if the crime is grievous enough. On the issue of capital punishment, I’m not totally comfortable with it anyway but a 16 year old?
    One other thing concerns me is a 103 year sentence instead of a mental hospital. It seems rather odd to me.
    Plus, I’m trying to wrap my head around a 16 year old in a State prison with a lot of hard core lifers. He won’t last more than a couple weeks.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Bobby,

What concerns me is the fact that a minor killed a person. Mental reclusion? Sure, after few years a shrink says "He / she is cured". The criminal goes free and kills again.
    I don't go for a 103...even a 50 years sentence. I go for the fact a person was killed by a person whom most likely will kill again.

6. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Can you imaging how many silly things done by the kids I saw? Many...but I also know about those kids who beat some classmates to a pulp.

7. Silvia Benoit

Registered

[QUOTE="Bobby Cole,
    Plus, I’m trying to wrap my head around a 16 year old in a State prison with a lot of hard core lifers. He won’t last more than a couple weeks.[/QUOTE]

And I am trying to wrap my head about your worries for the destiny of a youth who committed murder. Would you worry so much if the youth killed / raped one of your relatives?

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Is this a hypothetical situation , or something that actually happened, @Silvia Benoit ? I can’t find anything about this online, so if it is real, can you please provide a link to the news story about it ?
    I am really doubting that this could have happened in the United States, or that it was top a top news story, because I can’t find any information at all.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Children and teenagers don't have fully-developed brains and are often not as capable of making good choices as adults. This doesn't - and shouldn't - excuse the bad choices they make, largely because they'll never learn that actions have consequences unless their own actions have consequences. But, children who commit even horrible crimes are more salvageable than adults who commit the same crimes. That doesn't mean they'll all be salvageable, and it shouldn't mean that they'll be simply set free, but there should be a path leading to a life outside of prison for them if they make the right choices. Generally speaking, prison isn't the best place to learn proper social behaviors. I am not one of those Republicans who think that everyone who commits a crime should be hung high, and I think that mandatory sentencing laws don't allow sensible judges to make reasonable judgments. Rather than enacting mandatory sentencing laws, it would make more sense to make it easier to get rid of judges who don't do their jobs reasonably. I would say that I don't think that children should be sentenced to death under any circumstances, but I'm not so sure that anyone should be sentenced to death.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Yvonne

It did happen in East Kilbride....but the point is mist people refuse to sentence to life in prison / capital punishment to a youth. If the youth committed a horrible crime ( murder, rape...) why no to apply the law according to the crime?
    Several years ago, in Florida, a high schooler named Brasil or Brazil killed a teacher and I believe two other persons "because he was not allowed to enter the classroom where his girlfriend was." Actually, right after the teacher told him "No" the kid went to his home, got a gun and returned to the school where he committed the crimes.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

So, you do have a link to the story that you can post for us, please ?
    I can’t find it in a search for “East Kilbride, child beheaded”. The closest is a 17 year old who killed an older man, 61, by stomping on his neck, and they called it an “internal beheading”.
    I can’t really discuss the topic without more factual information to go on, @Silvia Benoit .

12. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

In this country, those under 18 years old are deemed to lack adult capacity. They cannot form binding contracts because of this lack of capacity. So being "not of the age of majority" has universal applicability, to include not having adult accountability, since they don't have adult capacity or adult rights.

13. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Ken ,

I do know children / teens don't have fully developed brains and are uncapable of measuring the consequences. Believe me, after 26+ years teaching I know this fact very well.
    Now, if a youth -mentally capable or not- kills / rape a person...should pay according to the crime he committed.
    Ask the parents / relatives of a rape victim how they fill about the young rapist.

As usual, it seems the victim and the families are of no importance.

14. Silvia Benoit

Registered

Yvonne

Google "Young given 103 yeas in prison..."that's how I found the info.

15. Silvia Benoit

Registered

1) Please, don't tell me what I already know.
    2) Most countries have the same rule and
    3) Criminals should be judged / sentenced for the crimes they committed...regardless of the " underdeveloped brain of the criminal"

Remember, """" the victims are victims for life""""

Thomas Windom likes this.