Youtube Videos About Social Security

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Richard Whiting, May 29, 2023.

1. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Of late I have been scanning through Youtube videos and I notice that dozens of them deal with social security AND it particular, alleged "double payments, possible late payments and/or increases in monthly benefits"

After viewing them, I have come to the conclusion that those videos are B.S.
    For example, their titles often say things like " GREAT NEWS. DOUBLE PAYMENTS FOR SOCIAL SECURITY IN JUNE (2023). BUT, when I view the actual video, there is not one single word about double payments.

I must be incredibly naive because I had thought those videos would have some measure of truth in them. WRONG ! In my opinion, they produce those videos NOT TO INFORM PEOPLE , BUT TO MAKE MONEY .

Those videos are not worth watching and are nothing but CLICK BAIT

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Unless the videos are produced by a government agency or other valid source I wouldn't bother opening them at all. As you said, "click bait."

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Pretty much everything you hear about Social Security in an election year is BS. Unless it's an announcement from the Social Security Administration, it's probably nonsense. Nearly every election year, unless they have the ability to do what they want without Republican votes, the Democrats will be screaming about how Republicans don't care about seniors because they won't agree to some spending bill, despite the fact that it generally has nothing to do with Social Security, and the Republicans will be crying about how Social Security is going to go broke because the Democrats are spending money.

They do this because it's effective, as you have shown. Knowing that many seniors are entirely or partly dependent upon Social Security, they both use this as a lever to get seniors to pressure their representatives to vote differently than they might otherwise be inclined, and they assume that there will be enough seniors buying into their BS to make the campaign worthwhile.

Most of the issues that dominate the election cycle are BS, not just Social Security.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

[​IMG]

Richard Whiting likes this.
  5. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Because of all of those youtube videos, I have spent considerable time looking up just exactly how fiscally sound Social Security actually is.

No matter what is said about Social Security solvency , SSA is NOT in any danger of running out of money... at least not for another decade.
    Yes, it is true that in recent years SSA has collected (from FICA) LESS then it spends, but SSA has financial investments from which it can withdraw the shortfall.

6. John Brunner

Foreseen demographics, with a little COVID shutdown and paying people to not work sprinkled into te mix.

Did you see any vids on how the welfare trust fund is doing? Oh, yeah...that's right.

Vada Bloom and Richard Whiting like this.
  7. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

YouTube videos are over flowing with talking heads whose sole purpose is to get views and hopefully monetize their time in front of a camera. They want attention. The majority are definitely all about “look at me” and the more controversial their content, the more gossip about them is generated.

If you want to know how to remove the tail light assembly on a 2008 Audi A4/S4, you can find a nice informative video (yep, did that). If you want to know anything about any socially controversial topic, YouTube is a toilet bowl where nothing gets flushed.

8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Just saw this one with Nikki Haley's bright idea on raising the age we can draw our SS, like because some are living longer, doesn't mean they should have to work longer imo:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1745452030628675704

Link won't work I don't think unless you have Twitter. I'll be back with another link from youtube if I can find one.

Ok got one, but listen to this, and you might agree no one should be allowed to mess with our SS, no matter what age we are. Again I'll say, young folks my live longer these days, but they should have to the right to retire, and, receive their SS as well!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2024
    Ken Anderson and John Brunner like this.
  9. John Brunner

FYI: Anyone can read a Twitter page, they just cannot post on it.

Denise Evans likes this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh thanks John, good news, so I just put in the page link to it?

John Brunner likes this.
  11. John Brunner

Yup. We can see the video on the Twitter page. But there's nothing wrong with embedding a Y.T. vid in your comment. It increases the chances of getting viewed.

I'm on one forum that has the capabilities to embed a Twitter pst with its own link, but they use their own custom forum software.

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

Ok John, thanks again :) I learn something new everyday, if I come here every day ;)

13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny that they are still talking about 65 being full retirement age. From the SSA website... "The full retirement age is 66 if you were born from 1943 to 1954. The full retirement age increases gradually if you were born from 1955 to 1960 until it reaches 67. For anyone born 1960 or later, full retirement benefits are payable at age 67."

I am more concerned about the talk of means testing for social security. :mad:

Hedi Mitchell and Shirley Martin like this.
  14. Denise Evans

Registered

That sounds bad, bad, bad, no matter how much extra a person may have, they still payed into their SS, it's theirs!! I've never looked further into the whole "averaging' thing. Like the only take a certain amount of years of your income tax payed?? I was getting a paycheck, paying my taxes when I got my work-permit!

Jenna Parnellson likes this.
  15. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

This guy covers topics like Social Security, investments, and retirement planning:

Not perfect, "too conservative" for many, and sometimes he goes through modeled examples quickly on his whiteboard, but there is probably some value there.