2024 R N C

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Beth Gallagher, Jul 15, 2024.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think those were feeds from MSM, not reliable sources.

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"Hillary is a Uniter."

Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Found this, from People magazine...

Vice News asked Vance why he believes "it would be better for children if their parents stayed in violent marriages than if they divorced," according to the outlet's report on his September comments.

"I reject the premise of your bogus question," Vance replied in a statement sent by a campaign staffer. "As anyone who studies these issues knows: domestic violence has skyrocketed in recent years, and is much higher among non-married couples. That's the 'trick' I reference: that domestic violence would somehow go down if progressives got what they want, when in fact modern society's war on families has made our domestic violence situation much worse. Any fair person would recognize I was criticizing the progressive frame on this issue, not embracing it."

"But I can see that you are not a fair person, so rather than answer your loaded and baseless question, let me offer the following: I'm an actual victim of domestic violence," Vance continued. "In my life, I have seen siblings, wives, daughters, and myself abused by men. It's disgusting for you to argue that I was defending those men."

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I'll wait to see if I can hear exactly what Vance has said in the past. I'm mostly sad because what's happened in our country hasn't effected more people in a positive way. Making more people want to lay down their swords so to speak. I didn't really expect it though, I didn't expect it to change the way I feel about bringing America together rather than going to all out war with the Left. If they push us into it though, what else can we do, go hide in a church and pray??

I am not unaware that there are people in this country that are unhinged, in a bad way. More folks like that kid that had to be killed.

Vada Bloom likes this.
  5. Denise Evans

Registered

I know you're kidding, because she is a cry-baby, just think if she'd been elected?? I'll never forget her losing the vote, and leaving her supporters, and sneaking out the back-door, if she ever actually showed up there that is.

I'm glad President Trump picked a man as VP, very glad. He put aside all those saying "you gotta hire a black person, you gotta choose a woman, blah blah blah" He chose a guy that appears to have grit, like himself. But I don't know about his past comments, I know what they supposedly were, but something changed his mind and he seems to have gone MAGA all the way.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Like Glenn Beck, J.D. Vance was a Never-Trumper in 2016. He equated Trump with Hitler. Nevertheless, Trump endorsed him for a Senate seat, and he has been saying the right things and mostly voting right since taking office, but he's only been in office for a year. Be that as it may, I haven't listened to Glenn Beck since 2016 because I figure that any grown adult who thought Hillary was a better choice than Trump in 2016 doesn't have anything to teach me in 2024.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, I'm in good company because I was also a "Never Trumper" in 2016. I actually voted for Hillary but that is old news so don't ban me. :p Honestly I have never cared for Trump the man, but it is so often the lesser of two evils in the voting booth, and I am mostly conservative so there's that. Plus it seems that the libs get crazier by the minute.

Did anyone watch any of the convention tonight? It seemed to me that Trump was tired looking and quite subdued. I wonder if it has hit home that he almost died 2 days ago; that has to be a sobering situation.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

It occurred to me earlier that Vance is younger than my kids. Now I'm depressed.

9. Denise Evans

Registered

I really liked what Amber Rose had to say, and was kind of surprised to be honest. When she came on the stage (I'd never heard of her before) I just had an attitude about the way she looked. She was one of my fave speakers, tells me a lot about myself and how I can look too much at the "cover of the book". My other favorite was the head of the teamster union, I was really moved by what he said. Trump has some good support, I just pray most are not flakey, or just want to fit in somewhere.

I'm glad I got to see President Trump, I tuned in again in time to see his arrival. I knew he'd show, and for what he's been through, he looked damn good to me after the reality of almost losing him.

I gotta say I was glad to find I could view much of the convention yesterday, and seeing/hearing Grand Funk Railroad was a great band to see again.

As far as people changing their minds about who is good for America, I can only hope it's for the right reasons. The lies seem to be easier to believe than the Truth, even when we see it with our own eyes. I know what we're in for, for the next few months, let alone the next 4 years if we win.

Don Alaska and Vada Bloom like this.
  10. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yesterday I said Vance wasn't high on my list but last night after I did a bit of research he moved up. I'm no longer concerned about what he said in 2016. I wasn't for Trump before the last election either. I thought it was ridiculous that he wanted to run for president but by the time of the 2016 election I reluctantly voted for him with a lot of doubt. I will never vote for a Democrat and there is absolutely no good in refusing to vote. I have many times voted for the least bad choice and that's how I felt about Trump at the time.

Last night I heard Vance answer the question of why he was against Trump. He simply said he was wrong and Trump showed him he was wrong, so he changed his mind. Exactly!! That is my answer too.

I signed up on the library list for Vance's book but I see I am #188 in line so I may have to break down and actually buy it. Now that I know something about his background I like him better. He has overcome more than most people have and he has done more with his life than I realized. I was ignorant and I admit it. I wish some liberals would admit how ignorant they are too.

Vance will make mistakes. He is young and inexperienced in politics but he is smart and unlikely to fall down the stairs or have a stroke. So, there's that. If we can prevent any more SS failures maybe, just maybe, we have a chance to get the country back on track.

11. Denise Evans

Registered

Ditto Vada, so well said. I've also been thinking about his book, I don't always go for auto-biographies but I think I'll be getting a hold of it as well.

Vada Bloom likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

I think the saying "if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything". The problem, just one, in America is people don't go into studying candidates with opened minds, they have already made up their minds. A closed mind is a very easy thing to spot, or someone that will always be wishy washy, not trust worthy. Coming here has been good for me, as I have changed my mind about different things when I thought I never would ;)

Don Alaska and Vada Bloom like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I ordered his book for my Kindle so I'll be reading it ASAP. Also, if you have Netflix, the movie based on his book is available to stream. It was directed by Ron Howard and stars Glenn Close and Amy Adams.

14. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I watched the convention coverage last night and liked all the ordinary Americans that spoke, Amber Rose and the Nicaraguan lady who came here legally and spoke about those who have come illegally. I even liked the president of the Teamsters. He was a big surprise and he did not endorse Trump. He thanked him for being open minded enough to invite him and he has some very critical words for the Democrats but I felt sure he will endorse Biden. I hope I'm wrong. But that was new ground for Republicans. Trump is changing the party and it's very interesting. I am not anti-union as long as it's voluntary and NOT government employees. Tonight the theme will be Make America Safe Again. I can't wait. Usually, I watch very little of the convention, not so this time.

Denise, if you try to get a copy from the library please let us know if there is a long wait list. It's good that a lot of people are reading it.

I do have Netflix, Beth. Thanks for link. I'm going to order the Kindle edition of the book now and read it before I watch the movie.

Beth Gallagher and Denise Evans like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Unlike Glenn Beck, you're not a political pundit. He was free to support whoever he wanted to support in 2016, and I never suggested his show be canceled. My point was simply that I don't have anything to learn from him politically. As for Vance, I'll be voting for the Trump/Vance ticket, but not because of Vance.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2024
    Don Alaska likes this.