About Those Apps You Hear About

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Even on TV commercials they urge you to "Download this or that App".

Are these new programs that you run on your computer?

Hal

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What they are, is basically a program/application that you install on your computer, tablet, or phone, and it simplifies doing something for you.
    Instead of having to go to a website for something, you just open the app for the program you want to run.
    It can be for online banking, shopping at Amazon, news, painting pictures,editing photos, or just about ANYTHING that a person does on their computer. There are apps to store your photos, so that you can share them easily with other people, using shared albums.

Instead of having a list of websites that you go to on your device, you just open the app, and everything you need is right there. When I have several apps for the same basic purpose (editing photos, shopping, Etc), then I can group all of those apps into a folder for that type of program.

Here is an example of the desktop of my iPad, and you can see all of the little boxes, which are how I open each app. The ones circled in red are ones that are in folders, grouped for similar apps.
    The bar along the bottom has apps that I use a lot, or ones that I have used recently.

Your new computer should be able to use apps if you wanted to do that, @Hal Pollner .

A494638C-A784-4B01-9215-3F06AF292A0C.jpeg

Hal Pollner and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Yvonne, I clicked on a strange-looking icon on my computer's startup screen that I never paid attention to before, and I was presented with an extended page of 89 APPS!

When I clicked on an App, a screen came up with the App's program!

I never knew I had all this stuff, and I don't remember installing any of 'em...how did they get there?

Anyway, I feel really "well-armed" now!

Thank Ewe!
    Hal

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Most devices (computers, tablets, phones) come “pre-loaded “ with basic apps that are the most used ones. There is a whole online store with all of the apps that you might need or want for any reason.
    Hundreds of them !
    Yours would be at Microsoft.com, @Hal Pollner , since you have a Windows computer operating system. There is also probably an installed app that takes you to the App Store right on your computer, too.

The ones that you found are probably either the ones that come factory-installed in your HP computer, or the Geek Squad might have added some that they thought you might enjoy.
    If you try some of the ones that you have, and decide that you enjoy using apps, then you can go to the Windows App Store and see what other ones you might like to download.
    Some apps are free, and some of the more sophisticated ones will cost money to purchase.

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

I would like to get the card game "Hearts"...do I go to an "App Store" and download it?

Hal

6. Yvonne Smith

Someone who uses Windows can probably be of more help to you than I can at this point, @Hal Pollner ; but I would suggest that you look through the 89 apps you discovered that are already on your computer, and see if Hearts might already be there. It might also have an icon that takes you to the Windows App Store , and if not, the correct icon should be somewhere , maybe in your startup menu ?

Once you get to the App Store, just type in Hearts card game, and all of the apps for that game will show up. Some will be free, and some apps cost money. To get one that costs money, you will have to already have put your credit card information into the computer. (I am guessing on this, but that is how Apple does it.)

Here is how my search results looked from my Apple App Store , and there were probably 9-10 options for the game.
    DFB8034C-4E7E-4216-8412-080C06688C11.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I don't have many apps on my phone...they are too intrusive. Some of them monitor and report your activities. I wanted to download a birdwatching app, and one of the rights it would give itself was to access my Contacts list, so I decided against it.

The only app I have is the Walmart app (I am so ashamed.)

I can search for items on the Walmart app and it will tell me:
    -If Walmart carries it
    -What the price is
    -How many are in stock at my store
    -The product's specific Aisle location

It also has a Scan feature so I can point the phone's camera at any UPC Code regardless of where I am, and it will bring up that product in the Walmart app. So I can Scan a product while I'm in Walmart to see its price, and I can Scan any item while shopping in any store and bring up that product in the Walmart app (so I can see Walmart's price and stock status.)

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

I don't have a Phone, a Laptop, or a Tablet...I only have a Desktop Computer where I do all my operations.

Hal

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Gotcha.

It should be easy enough to open a browser and search for a free downloadable game of hearts, or mostly anything else you want (Scrabble is licensed. You gotta pay to play.)

-Pay attention to the version of Windows it's compatible with.
    -Make sure to read any associated reviews about the game before you install it.
    -Once you find a game you might be interested in, go online and search on that specific "brand" to see what folks say about it (especially important to avoid viruses.)

I did a quick search and found Hearts on Microsoft's website. Since it's from Microsoft, you can generally trust it to not contain viruses, but the game's reviews on Microsoft's site say the game is slow and does not actually follow the rules or logical card selection of Hearts.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.