Am I A Racist?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Dwight Ward, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course a higher education does not make one "better." But companies hiring can put any requirements they want/need on job applicants. Attaining a college degree is not necessarily about the learning, but shows that a person is willing to put in the work and time to better themselves.

2. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I may have posted on this before but I can't remember. A team of hired programmer/analysts(us) were working on a project at Polaroid Corp headquarters. MY buddy who only had a hs diploma was asked by Polaroid if he would take a position in their operation, He said sure but when they asked about a college degree and he said he didn't have one they asked if he would bw willing to get one as a requirement for employment. They would pay for him to go to college at night. As a young person he declined. When our project was over he was offered and accepted the position of DP department manager for the City of Boston.

Lois Winters likes this.
  3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Cody, that does not necessarily make him a better person. Just better educated and better paid. There is a difference.

4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Education does not mean very much. On a scuba diving holiday I met a gentleman who was a doctor of mathematics. So I asked him a question what is 30 divided by ½ plus ½ of 30 he reply very rapidly well it is 30 then I told him he was wrong. I explained and his reply was we hate fractions and we both laughed

5. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I am going to ask; what is racism? Is merely recognizing differences between races racism?
    Is being more comfortable with members of your own tribe racist? Time and time again it has been shown that all things being equal people will self segregate.
    If you have been spit upon by a majority of green folks you meet, does your experience and subsequent avoidance of greens make a racist?
    Is there such a thing as benign racism?

6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Thirty divided by a HALF (not by TWO) is 60!

Plus half of thirty (fifteen) is a total of 75.

Hal

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

This has always been my feeling; that we are naturally more comfortable with people who are like us. No matter what ethnicity, that seems to be human nature.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Shirley Martin likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, from a prior post, you know the education my last Supervisor/Director had. He did tell me two things, in his office with door closed, "I don't believe in a college education and I don't believe in hiring someone just because they have military experience in what I'm looking for to hire."

Well, if he didn't believe in a college education and certifications, he wouldn't have gotten the job he was doing. He had both! And, I had previous military experience (Navy), which to him, meant nothing. All I could think of, but not say to him, "Awe, come on dude, you have to be smarter than that!".

Lois Winters likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

And, when it comes to racism, what does anyone here think of "all Black colleges"? There are those in the U.S.. Or, like towns in the U.S., like Little Tokyo, Little Saigon, East L.A., South Central Los Angeles, where the population is all-to-predominately one race.

10. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

I wouldn't say so. It is more than that and often includes a subtle or openly expressed feeling of superiority of one race over another leading to harassment, physical assault or even extinction of the allegedly inferior race at the extreme. Racism takes many, also subtle forms of discrimination, prejudice, exclusion, and marginalization on a personal, economic, or legal level.
    But you're right: If people don't state what they understand by racism or by any other ideologeme, they will be talking at cross-purposes.

Ken Anderson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  11. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew the answer to my own question that opened this topic. I do not feel myself to be a racist. Later in the day I'll post a topic featuring Frederick Douglas, whom, along with Harriet Tubman were from my neck of the woods and both of whom who I admire very much. Of course that does not prove I'm not a racist, but it is some evidence.
    I'd also like to make a distinction, which may be too subtle or obscure, between having a "feeling of superiority" and "finding.evidence of difference". .I don't feel I'm superior to anyone else of any other race.

Beth Gallagher and Al Amoling like this.
  12. Peter Renfro

Registered

Wheres your neck? Rochester, Auburn?

13. Dwight Ward

Registered

I'm not getting your question, Peter. I grew up in Cambridge, Dorchester County, Maryland. Frederick Douglas was a slave in the next county. Harriet Tubman ran the underground railroad from Dorchester County. What do Rochester or Auburn, wherever they are, have to do with anything?

14. Peter Renfro

Registered

15. Dwight Ward

Registered

Thanks for the articles, Peter. I didn't know any of that. I've never read a full biography of either.