Amazon Prime

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by K E Gordon, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes as you say @Yvonne Smith you can share it with your family, which I do and feel it's good value for money, I have also been given several free months over the time I have been using it for various mistakes etc. We get the same day delivery option here, order before 3pm in the afternoon and receive in the evening, which I use sometimes when something is needed urgently..

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Has anyone noticed that shipping and delivery dates have really diminished with Amazon Prime lately? I have had Amazon Prime since they started it, I think, and one of the things that I liked most about, besides its good selection and great customer service, is how quickly things arrived. For the past several months, however, that hasn't been the case.

Typically, when I order something now, it will immediately give me what always used to be their standard arrival date, within two or three days. But then, if I check my orders the next day, they will have readjusted them, some showing a range of about two weeks as an estimated arrival date. Others will show that I am supposed to receive it the following day but I know that I won't because they haven't even shipped it yet. The next day, they will have readjusted those dates, pushing them back by a day or two.

I don't think I have received anything within two days in the past several months. The best they have done for me is about four days, and far too many orders don't even ship within four days. The delay seems to be on their end because the orders will show that they haven't even shipped.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

We have noticed that, too, and even with the Prime shipping, orders will arrive late, or we will get a notice that the shipping date has changed.
    Saturday, I was looking at shampoo, and the smaller bottle was prime, but didn’t arrive for a week. The larger size bottle was also Prime, and is supposed to arrive tomorrow, which is a 3 day delivery. I really wanted to try the smaller bottle first and see if I liked that shampoo; but since the larger one came with faster shipping (and was cheaper per ounce), I went ahead and ordered that.
    It seems like the 3 day shipping is about as fast as we get anything nowdays.

Maybe it is because Amazon is doing so much expanding, and they just haven’t gotten everything finished yet, as far as more distribution centers. Even with the slower delivery, it is still about the best deal around when you are ordering online. Walmart offers some things on free delivery, but not as many as Amazon Prime does, and even the free ship-to-store option usually takes 5-7 days to arrive.

Don Alaska likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I rarely order anything that isn't prime but that two-day shipping no longer seems to be the norm.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think you are correct, Yvonne. Amazon is expanding so rapidly they are having trouble keeping up, and I think they are trying to keep the shipping costs down. We are delighted with Amazon. It has been a godsend for us. We have difficulty finding a lot of stuff, and it almost always involves a long drive. Delivery with no additional charges, even if it takes two weeks is still good for us. Many times, especially if the companies have contracts with UPS, the charges exceed the value of the item ordered, often by multiples. I tried to order a watering can from a California company. The item was $18 dollars, but the shipping was $56 dollars for standard shipping, not express. Most things I need are available from Amazon at reasonable prices and no additional shipping costs. Occasionally I run into something that I cannot get because it is not shipped "outside the United States". I ordered a small Ham radio from Amazon, but they wouldn't ship it here for that reason. When visiting our daughters in Seattle, I ordered the same thing and received it overnight. Perhaps when Bezos gets more warehouses in the East, the service will improve for you.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Terry Page Veteran Member
    Registered

The shipping times have been improving over the last year in the UK, there are lot of items on Same Day delivery up until 9pm now, and in the major cities they are offering a 2 hour service, but of course compared to the US we are a tiny island ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I accidently signed up for the Amazon Prime trial when selecting my shipping preference. I have to make sure that I cancel before the trial ends. In the meanwhile I've been watching Amazon Videos.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

We use Amazon so often, I don’t know what we would do without the Prime account ! Bobby watches the prime videos, I use prime reading, and then there is the free book each month. It used to be called Kindle First, because it comes at the first of the month; but they changed the name and I don’t remember what it is called now.
    Amazon also has a low-income plan, that is just $6 a month, about half of the regular price, and with all of the same benefits. All you need to qualify is a medicaid card or an EBT card.
    Between that and our low-income internet ($10), we save quite a bit of money.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Yeah, Amazon Prime is well worth it to me, too.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Jack Knight

Jack Knight Member
    Registered

I don't order from Amazon prime but my wife really enjoys shopping there. It's not funny but she has ordered so many kitchen gadgets it's hard to remember where she put all of them.

Maybe more interesting is that we have Discover card that is some how tied into Amazon so when cash back builds up some my wife has no problem using that to buy something. For the last 3 months that tie is paid 5% into cash back for everything bought on Amazon.

Another feature she uses is Honey. That seeks out cupons, price reductions and can apply the savings to purchases. I'm not promoting anything just passing along some money saving tips.

This might get you to the web site if you want to check it out.

https://www.joinhoney.com/

Ken Anderson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. William DeFox

William DeFox Active Member
    Registered

Whether you'll get your money's worth out of Amazon Prime depends on your interests, needs, and shopping characteristics. I've been a member for a few years now, primarily for the movies, the music, and the occasional purchase. It's marginally worth it for me at present, but if they up the annual fee again, I may reconsider my membership.

12. Jack Knight

Jack Knight Member
    Registered

I think I read that Prime will be going to $117.00 for those renewing.

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It is still worth it for us, as we used to spend over $300 just in shipping Christmas presents to the grandchildren from here. Although it doesn't have as much of "Grandma's Touch" to it now, it is cheaper, easier and more convenient to do shopping for people 2000+ miles away via Amazon. We still do most of the shopping for the Alaska grandchildren locally.

Ron Moody likes this.
  14. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Well-Known Member
    Registered

I currently have Prime but will cancel it when trial period runs out. And then the next time I order I'll take the trial again. I don't order that much but when I do I usually want it NOW!!!!

15. Ron Moody

Ron Moody New Member
    Registered

I've had Prime for 20 years now. Amazon is investing tons into their own trucks and local delivers to get things to customers faster and faster. That cost is passed on to members, and at some point, if a household does not get enough delivered in a year, or does not watch enough Prime series, etc., it comes down to a cost/benefit decision. I worked at Amazon's 2nd Distribution Center in New Castle, DE, back in 1998. They were, and are, amazing!