Another Hurricane Headed For Florida

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Steven Stanick, Oct 5, 2024 at 2:54 PM.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

What happens to evacuate folks in hospitals, and what about people with no way to travel away from danger areas??

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am more likely to consider cloud seeding than global warming as a cause, although it could also be just another hurricane.

3. Denise Evans

Registered

Funny you mention that because this a.m. I googled "can a hurricane be man-made". The first result was a big NO, but then I didn't dig any deeper into the results. I just think it's creepy that Florida is being hit so hard, I don't remember this in my life-time, but most things that are killing people I never saw so much as now :(

4. Denise Evans

Registered

Flight of the Hurricane Hunters, wow!

5. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Milton is almost a category 5 again but Ryan says it will likely make landfall as a category 3. But, he also says wind speed is not the big concern, storm surge is and it sounds like there is going to be an awful lot of water in Florida. Storm surge is the part that would scare me most.

We have strong downslope winds where I am. In January of 2021 we had winds measured at 92 mph that took down big trees, fences and redistributed trampolines. My wood fence went down and had to be rebuilt. I know that's nothing like Florida hurricanes but it's enough for me.

I don't think anyone caused the hurricane but that's just a guess. Here's a link to the strongest previous storms. Milton will probably be one of them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weat...op-10-most-intense-us-hurricanes/75559371007/

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

This is something I cannot imagine having to do in my little 94 pickup. Leaving things behind, I don't own a home, but what I have would be hard to leave, I can't imagine what this sort of Exodus would be like, :( tears, mixed with prayers for these people,

hurrican milton evacuating Tampa, and other places.JPG

Vada Bloom likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Thing is, these residents who live in "hurricane prone" areas, are just like residents that live in "tornado prone" areas, they make that choice for different reasons. Just like folks that live in areas of America that have blizzards, it's their choice.

The thing is, after a hurricane or tornado demolishes an area, many-to-all of the residents will rebuild and continue to stay. Like those that live in summertime heat of over 100 and those that live in below zero temps, they make that choice.

We made the choice to move to Henderson, NV, with its summertime heat that we can barely handle, but our plans are to move and go back to 4-seasons and move to northwestern Nevada.

Ken Anderson and Denise Evans like this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, that's true Cody, I just think how never pay attention to my area, for example, and the wild-fires, or volcano eruptions, or even earthquakes might happen. I know it's my choice to live here, but I don't think I for one can fully understand what it would be like to lose literally everything because of natural disaster, or other.

I can't help but think when people say "it was their choice" it's somehow that person's fault or punishment for living somewhere they love, or dreamed of. Some folks don't have the choice to move from an area. I think of the little old person that can't even drive, but they have no one to come and get them. I pray for good neighbors for those people, to think about others in these disasters. I live with all older folks/seniors, some can hardly walk to make it to an elevator, let alone make it down a stairwell, if they can still drive away even :(

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Denise, for 4 1/2 years I worked for Senior Healthcare Company in Denver, Colorado. I was amazed at how many seniors were signed up with three Centers where they were picked up by passenger vans in the AM (company owned) and taken home at 3:30PM Monday thru Friday. They could have their health looked at by doctors/nurses, have a nice lunch, play some games and then be taken home. Some of these seniors were very fragile and really had to be "handled with care".

What I was really amazed about was how many seniors live in Colorado and how the winters in Colorado can get. Then again, not everyone, including seniors, can or wants to, live in a non-winter area. Some have family that financially support them.

10. Ken Anderson

In some cases, that's justified. If I grow up in an area routinely plagued by hurricanes and can't afford to move, I might have every right to throw a pity party when a storm destroys my house. However, if I move there for the warm weather and the coastal beaches, it's reasonable for others to consider that I might have added the threat of hurricanes to my moving plans. People who build homes on mountainsides in California should expect them to be washed out in a mudslide during a rainy season, that eventuality being the price to pay for being able to live on a mountainside in a state that generally has good weather. I moved to Maine knowing there would be snow, so while I might complain when my car is buried in the stuff, that's not food for a pity party. Wherever you might move, there are pros and cons. Now, that doesn't mean that they deserve it or that no one should be willing to help when a disaster strikes, particularly a federal government that feels the need to send money we don't have to people who don't even like us. Anyplace where everything is pretty much perfect is likely to be too expensive for most of us.

11. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah I can be a little grumpy. I remember 5 feet of snow in 2 days back in the mid-70s, and like always we barely got anything from the Feds. Maybe loans for those who had a roof cave in. I sure don't remember any road clearing by the National Guard. No food, water, heat, or power brought in. We knew we were on our own.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I just read that Governor DeSantis has authorized free Uber rides to shelters for anyone stranded in their home who needs a ride to a shelter, this is a wonderful idea !
    I also saw where some other people are offering the same thing, so people who can’t drive or don’t have a place to go or way to evacuate can at least get to a shelter.

They are expecting the winds to get better before Milton makes landfall, but they said that the storm surge for this one is going to be the worst thing, so more flooding. And there are still piles of debris and furniture from the cleanup from Helene in Florida, which will be in the flooding, making it even more dangerous.
    DeSantis had the Florida state patrol literally pull open the gates to landfills, so the garbage can be hauled to the landfills ahead of the new storm.

Another interesting thing, as Kamala Harris is saying bad things about DeSantis, Biden is having a news broadcast praising the governor and saying that he is doing everything right.
    And for the second time, Biden scheduled his press conference at the same time as Harris is also making a public appearance, this time on The View.
    She was really mad last time Biden did this, so she is probably extra mad this time because he also contradicted what she was saying.

Someone on X said that Biden is going to vote for Trump, and another person responded that they had never seen Biden in a Harris hat (like we all saw him wearing the Trump hat).

13. Ken Anderson

In 1947, the US Air Force, in partnership with GE, seeded the clouds to turn a hurricane, and it did make an unexpected turn, only to devastate another part of the country. After lawsuits were filed, the government denied that their experiment had done that, while GE insisted that it had worked. Congress passed the National Weather Modification Act in 1976, requiring private companies to notify the government about weather modification experiments. In 2016, then CIA chief John Brennan said the US government has the technology to alter weather patterns. Does that mean that the government produced these hurricanes? Certainly not, but every devastating weather event is used to further the climate change agenda.