Another Question

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, another old thread. :D But I was surprised to see that no one quoted John 3:16...

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Every line is interpreted differently by each and every human to have ever walked this Earth. It is impossible to really know how much has been added, deleted, or altered after it has been re written in numerous languages over the last 2-3000 years.
    Apparently God had a sense of humor:D

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

So God didn't know Jesus was going to be resurrected? if he did then he wasn't giving up his son.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Nowhere is it stated in so many words, but I believe that, while God is capable of knowing whatever He wants to know, He chooses not to. That would be sort of like having the video in front of you but choosing not to watch it so that you can watch it together with someone. If, as we are told, we were created to have fellowship with God, that would make sense. There are several passages in Scripture in which it appears that God was surprised by things that people have done, and usually not in a good way. For that matter, why would He be angered by someone's actions if He knew them in advance?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Joseph Carl

Joseph Carl Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sheldon, you ask a question prompting many interesting and diverse responses. I think Yvonne and Ken both give the best insight to the issue, but for a more complete answer, I offer the link to this brief article. It explains why the mating of angelic beings with humans is most probable.

https://www.gotquestions.org/sons-of-God.html

Determining this however does not answer your question. Christian doctrine teaches that all individuals who accept Christ as their Lord and Savior are children of God. Thus, Christian men are sons of God. No wonder then, that we call him Father. The important distinction then, is what do you mean when you say "son?" Whether all created humans, Christian men, or angels are called sons or not, it is clear that none can be put in the same category as the eternal son/personhood of God named Jesus.

Your second question about angels being considered female is probably attributed largely to Hollywood. The secular industry has a habit of distorting almost every Bible related theme or movie they make. Their image of heaven being all white with clouds, harps, and wings is just one example. You don't want to trust Hollywood, Wiki, or National Geographic for any accurate interpretation of Biblical matters.

Corie, I need to make a correction to your first statement concerning Catholic Church theology. Even though I oppose much of the church's unbiblical doctrines, they do have the trinity view right. I can't speak for all professing Catholics, but the official church belief is in one God exisiting as three persons. Your second sentence implies that the church is teaching a doctrine of 3 separate Gods; such is not the case, though the doctrine of the trinity is admittedly confusing.

Your belief in one God is logical in accordance with the philosophical argument of occam's razor. However, to think that one God would reveal himself throughout a multitude of religions that have critical, opposing beliefs is not logical. You may want to reconsider that idea.

Crissy, it's disheartening to hear your words because it suggests to me that no one taught you the reasons to believe. That's what Christian apologetics is all about, and if one were to spend time delving into it, you would find that the preponderance of evidence for the faith outweighs all of the criticisms and unanswered questions. I encourage you to give Christianity an honest investigation. If you or anyone are interested, I have excellent videos to share on the subject.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I was trying to answer your original question... how many sons did God have? According to John 3:16, he had one.

7. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Good question. Thanks to the internet the work of searching the bible for an answer is already done.

28. How many sons does God have?
    God has only one son (Jesus).
    He that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. John 3:18
    God sent his only begotten son into the world. 1 John 4:9

God has many sons.
    Adam was also God's son.
    Adam, which was the son of God. Luke 3:38

Some of God's sons had sex with women producing a race of giants.
    That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. ... There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them. Genesis 6:2-4

Israel is God's firsborn son.
    Thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the LORD, Israel is my son, even my firstborn. Exodus 4:22

I [God] am a father to Israel. Jeremiah 31:9

Ephraim is (also) God's firstborn son.
    Ephraim is my [God's] firstborn. Jeremiah 31:9

Satan and his companions are sons of God.
    The sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan came also among them. Job 1:6

Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD. Job 2:1

The king that God set on the holy hill of Zion is God's son.
    Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion. I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee. Psalm 2:7-8

Solomon was God's son.
    He [Solomon] shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever. I will be his father, and he shall be my son. 2 Samuel 7:13-14

God's sons were present when the universe was created.
    Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? Job 38:6-7

Male peacemakers are God's sons.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9

Christians are God's sons.
    But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God. John 1:12

That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God. Philippians 2:15

Beloved, now are we the sons of God. 1 John 3:2

Whoever is led by the Spirit of God is a son of God.
    As many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Romans 8:14

https://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/sons.html

The bible presents some nice stories but so did Joanne Rowling

Sheldon Scott likes this.