Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Interesting @Bobby Cole. I was told by a pediatrician when the mumps vaccine first was released that the mumps vaccine didn't prevent a child from getting mumps; it just suppressed the symptoms so you didn't know you had it. You would still be contagious to the non-immune, similar to what was reported with the Covid shot. That was a conventional vaccine and, according to the pediatrician, still endangered adult males. Don't know if it is true, as I am sure any information on this was suppressed if it existed.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

I am ranting in advance that NYC will most probably get slush, not snow. It hasn't snowed in TWO Years here! My grandson is missing out on sledding and snow people building, not to mention angels. I've had it with the crummy dark skies that offer no beauty. Last year though, his parents took him for the experience to Jersey, where they have an attraction that 'makes' snow, but it is not the same, is it, as it coming from the sky? All I want is one nice snow day, and I'm starting to hear it will pass us by! My rant in advance. Hope rant was for nothing and it does snow here, at last.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Doesn’t West Point have some pretty good areas for public sledding and skiing?
    Yeah, I know it’s about 75 or so miles from NYC and the traffic is terrible and the trees look like skeletons at this time of year, but it’s real snow.

Heck, I don’t even know what I’m telling you for. You’ve lived around there for years whilst I was only at the Point and TDY at Stewart for a few months.

One good way to look at it though.
    By there not being any snow, your grandson won’t have to put on a snow suit.
    Everyone knows that when a kid finally gets his snowsuit on, he’s gonna have to suddenly go to the bathroom and the whole process has to start over again.
    No snow> no snowsuit> no sudden urge to go pee> no extra laundry:)

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We are having pea-soup fog this morning. It's 9:30 and you still can't see the street from our front porch. Currently 46°F but supposed to get to 60 later.

5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We missed our potential for that 1" of snow (of course.) I could have predicted this when I went to bed last night. We still have our "Weather Advisory" until late afternoon because ground temps will be hovering near freezing all day and there's a light misty rain (maybe some sleet) all day.

Just west of here (towards the mountains) it's worse.

Mary Stetler and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Down to 0 F. this morning and it looks like it will be a beautiful day. We have lots of snow @Lulu Moppet but not as much as last year here . Anchorage, however, has a record amount. I wish we could share it with you!

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

That is what I was told after not reacting to tb innoculation. If I had minimal to no reaction, I was probably immune. But I still worry.

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

We had a lovely snow this morning. Great big flakes and no wind. Around 30 degrees. Less than an inch. But the roads were greasy. It looked like someone came by with a bride's basked of salt, tossing handfuls here and there.

9. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

How things change:

1994: Don’t get into a car with a stranger.

2007: Never meet a stranger from the Internet alone.

2024: Uber - Order a stranger from the Internet and pay to get into his car alone.

10. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

11. John Brunner

I still (and shall forever) have issues with that daggone compounding pharmacy. (See prior rant here and here.)

Once again, they failed to put my script on their shuttle to the location that is the least far from me (40 miles versus 70.) And I guess since the new year started, they are back to charging me over $130 when I had them down to $39. *sigh* Their issues caused me to get my monthly dr. appointment out there and my script refills out of synch (requiring 2 trips instead of 1), so I was gonna dump half a month's script to get back in synch and save some gas, but now that would cost me half of $130.

This place is so screwed up. I gotta work on them to get that cost beck down, if I can get anyone to even talk to me. I called them early yesterday morning and got no response to my voice mail, so had to send them an "urgent" email this afternoon to get a reply. These people never answer the phone, and drive you to communicate via text...which they walk away from if you ask a question they don't want to address in mid-conversation.

12. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like "You Want It When Pharmacy"
    Are they the only ones that can handle your prescription?
    I use one of the larger Pharmacy chains and when I can't make it to pick up my prescription they will mail it, is that a possibility for you?

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

The stuff I get is "compounded." They mix the antibiotic with sterile water in a sterile lab, then dispense it in a couple of plastic bottles. Only "compounding pharmacies" with sterile labs can do this, and most of them only compound the antibiotics into ointments for topical use,but not for sterile internal use. Not even the University of Virginia Hospital specialty pharmacy can do this.

These guys will ship the stuff, but it's sent frozen with ice paks and costs $30 for UPS Next Day service. But I'd have no way of knowing if/when it was tendered to UPS, and I would be up a creek if it got lost. Things worked well when I had the availability coordinated with my monthly doctor appointment a mile or so up the road.

This place has a reputation for being an administrative nightmare, as confirmed by the other retail storefront (that does not have a sterile lab.) The folks at the new location are always apologizing for the folks at the sterile lab. When you mention the other place, the staff get "that look."

Mary Stetler likes this.
  14. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

Now I kind of remember you saying it was a special mix I forgot.
    I'm not familiar with all the aspects of this issue, However With the Sterile lab being unresponsive, Can your doctor put the prescription In with the new location store, That will make them responsible for making sure they get your prescription. They will have more pull in dealing with the sterile lab.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  15. John Brunner

It's a weird setup. The sterile lab is the dog, and the new location is the tail. The best the new location can do for me is to roll their eyes and call the lab's secret internal phone number, then hand me the phone so I can talk to a live person rather than email or text.

The real solution might lay in having governments' attempt to vaccinate the world go away. Then the shortage of small vials would ease up and I could get the antibiotic in single-dose vials and mix it myself on a per-dose basis. That would free me from the compounded stuff, but would introduce other supply issues (special catheter syringe with interchangeable catheter tip and hypodermic needle, and sterile water.) Needles require prescriptions, which would be no big deal, but then I'd have those different supplies to keep on hand. And the supply of vials (and therefore single-dose antibiotic) would always at risk of the next "pandemic" suddenly arriving.

Even then, only Walgreens said they thought they could order the antibiotic in the small vials. Walmart said they could get the antibiotic in a larger bottle (2+ month's supply), but there's a short shelf life once the stuff is exposed to air, so that would not work. None of the other major pharmacies thought they could get the stuff at all in any form. I once raised the issue of small vials with the compounding pharmacy, but they freaked out at the thought of the stuff being mixed outside of a sterile lab. My doctor's nurse showed me how to mix it (I had a self-mixed dose in her office), but I didn't get into those details with the pharmacist...I didn't want her to faint. ;)

Tony Page and Don Alaska like this.