Anyone Else Want To Rant? Join In

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Von Jones, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

It's amazing. For the first time in months nothing besides wars bothers me. I mean to say, though life not perfect, I have nada to complain about today. Must be some sort of miracle, but I feel okay, so far, so good!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That is wonderful news, @Lulu Moppet ! It does no good to worry about the wars because whatever is going to happen, will happen (or it won’t). I remember way back in the 50-60’s , when I was growing up, all the news was about Russia, and they built bomb shelters everywhere.
    We didn’t have any in our little town that I know of, but larger cities (Spokane in my case) had several designated buildings with the nuclear symbol on them for people to go into in case of a bomb.
    It was in the news almost every day for years.
    Nothing happened. All these years later, and Russia has never attacked us, and in many cases, they have come to our aid, and the US has come to theirs.
    All it does is stress us out. Our member here, @Ed Marsh , always has a good saying, and he says “everything is going to be fine”, and I tend to agree with him.

Lulu Moppet, Tony Page and Vada Bloom like this.
  3. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Glad to hear that, Lulu. Yvonne is right when she says it does no good to worry.

I was happy under my desk when I first learned that Russia might attack us. My teacher told us the desks would protect us and I believed her. Ignorance really was bliss. :D Now, I just don't worry about it. I don't have to be responsible for anyone else anymore and something is going to get me sooner rather than later.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wars are only worth worrying about if there is something you can do about it. Get food and water stores in-house in case cyber warfare closes payment systems and disables utilities. Other than that, there is little one can do. Fortunately, current military strategy, both U.S./NATO and Russia does not seem to include nuclear attacks on cities just military installations. I haven't heard about China, and North Korea...who knows?

Tony Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Synchrony sucks. It took forever to find a general number to call in on. It kept asking for an account number (which no one has when they're applying for an account) and after saying "Agent Agent Agent" over & over, I finally got it to transfer me to an agent...or so it said. The phone rang, another automated attendant answered and said "We cannot find that account number. Goodbye." *click* I never provided an account number. I got no account number.

So a few days later I called Customer Support for my Synchrony Verizon card, and she put me through to a JC Penney human being. It seems that I transposed a couple of numbers in my Social Security Number when I filled out the application. She told me to go ahead and reapply. I gave it a few more days and reapplied...and I was rejected again. I finally got the second rejection email with the second Application Reference Number and link so I could find out where I fell short. "Prior application submitted too recently." By this time, it had been several weeks since my first attempt.

It's really not that big of a deal, and the whole story reeks of "1st World Problem." But I'm gonna send JC Penney an email and let them know that there's some roadblocks to people getting their credit card. Maybe I can get some coupons out of it.

6. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

John glad you got it figured out. About 25 or more yrs ago I consolidated everthing to one MasterCard and back then the offer was for 0% and then I recall it going to 3.49% and that rate hung around for some yrs and now the rate to purchase anything is 8.49% but I never use it as I use my dear debit card and my buying days are far behind me, buy just what I really need today....

I hear there are pretty wild rates for first time card applicants...

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

I've had my cards for years. The interest rate for a couple were just raised to nearly 40%. One of those is a Tractor Supply card, only good at Tractor Supply. The rates are obscene, considering where the Prime Rate is.

I never liked having a lot of credit cards. I got my bank's branded VISA card because the rewards could be converted to cash and I get a 10% bonus for depositing the cash into my checking account. Then I got a Verizon branded VISA card with even better rewards that could be used to pay my cell bill (so it's the same as cash), plus I get $5 every time I pay my cell bill with it, plus they gave me $100 for applying. If I ever switch cell carriers, I'll cancel that card.

I only applied for the Penney's card because I discovered there is a store not too far away from me, I like Penney's, and the credit card gives me discounts. I also got a Sears and a Lowes card for the in-store discounts.

8. Joy Martin

Registered

When I got rid of a bunch of cards way back, it was so FREEING and I have only 1 Credit Card, the one I mentioned and my Debit card....I have no tractor purchases...... Love to keep life light and simple. j

9. John Brunner

I always paid with cash or check. When I bought my new car in 2019 and was at my bank discussing a loan, the manager showed me the rewards card. In that single move, I went from keeping my purchases off everyone's radar screen to charging everything to get the cash back.

I read of one guy whose mortgage company allowed customers to pay with credit cards. The guy racked up thousands of rewards dollars every year.

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We have 3 at the moment. In my name except one. About to be One again. I tried doing like others and charged needed things on card with intent of paying off end of month. Guess what - I forgot to pay off and it has grown. It's for grocery and other need things - not wanted things. Going to go back to my old way of things. Perks or no perks.

11. John Brunner

After a lifetime of resisting credit cards, I sold my privacy for a few pieces of silver.

12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

To your so funny...

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My amazon card kept screwing me up on payment dates. I finally overpaid to get it to stop with whatever late payment/interest they would stick me with. They still have not sent me a refund or a bill showing how much interest I've accrued. I don't use that card. But will keep it in case of problems with my main one.
    I have one since my first husband died, 50 years ago. When I remarried, they put it in my husband's name. I am on my card but the bill comes to him. I guess I am OK with that but it made me mad when they first did it.
    Anyone get cash put away before they force cbdc? I don't intend to wear the mark of the beast. I can always make food which will be a good trade item.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

Cash will be as valueless as Confederate dollars.

Don Alaska and Mary Stetler like this.
  15. Joy Martin

Registered

I often FEEL I could just EXPLODE that our Lives have been so RESET and we are Nothing but APS....

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.