Are People Actually Getting Orders From Usps?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Al Amoling, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Well today I got notification from USPS that my wife's gift which has been sitting in Missouri since 12/15 is finally moving again

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe she'll get it for next Christmas. :D

3. Al Amoling

Registered

My gift to myself, supposed to be delivered 12/19, sat in Walmart's warehouse, was never picked up by USPS but appeared at my Post Office 12/26. I don't think she can wait til next Christmas

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've had a couple of deliveries go that way.
    As I've said before, it's not the [understandable] delays, it's the bad info along the way.

But when it just shows up on a random day and she's surprised, you can tell her "No special reason, dear." You'll get way more points than gifting on a holiday.

5. Al Amoling

Registered

When they gave me a credit because they thought it was lost, i ordered some other stuff for her and that's going to be here on Thursday. So she's happy as a clam

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

There you go!

That's all that matters.

7. Al Amoling

Registered

Today I went to the post office to complain that a package that informed delivery said was put in a locker for me on Tuesday was never received and lo and behold the package was there.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Boris Boddenov

Boris Boddenov Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hey Al,
    My USPS service was dreadful but has improved considerably in Feb. Worst service seemed to come from New England area where I order a lot of books and DVDs. Things that took 5 days took 30.

9. John Brunner

A friend told me that there are 5 mail carriers in my county, but 3 of them had been sick with COVID. That's why my service sucked real bad for a while. But the status/notification backend is still way worse than it used to be. Packages were always delivered on the date initially anticipated (when I track online and when I receive my daily Informed Delivery Digest email), but accuracy has degraded and it has not returned.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had a package whose delivery date was "Out For Delivery Today." When the package did not arrive, I went online to get a refreshed status and it showed the package as being on its way to my post office from a central distribution point in another town.

I've said before this makes no sense. These things are physically scanned as they move from location to location...at least, I thought they were. But if the package is in another town or state, there ain't no way it got scanned locally as being on the truck. Either someone is playing games, or (more likely) their systems were never designed for this volume and the databases are having indexing problems...records are not matching up properly.

10. John Brunner

At 7AM I received a USPS status email: Your package is out for delivery.
    At 9AM I received a USPS status email: Your package is ready for pickup at your designated post office.

edit to add: My daily email telling me what's gonna arrive in my mailbox today also shows that package as being on its way to my home.

This is a database issue, I bet. Either that, or the snow & sleet caused the drivers to turn around, and the stuff got scanned back in when it was taken off the trucks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The Biden Administration will be raising prices and slowing the service.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. John Brunner

...and increasing the substantial USPS discounts the U.N. has already given our Chinese competitors.

C'mon, man

13. John Brunner

Well, I figure the weather messed up the mailman today (he likely did not venture out.) But this evening I get a goofy status update that makes no sense in the context of the previous updates:

7:40PM: Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

So it was in the hands of my mail carrier to be delivered today, then it was available at my local post office for me to pick up, and now it's "in transit to the next facility."

This is the crap that I've been seeing from the USPS that makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever, and makes me think it's a database issue. It cannot possibly be from physical package scanning activity.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  14. John Brunner

7:40PM : Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.
    Got another email on this package this afternoon:

Sunday 1:00PM: Your item arrived at our RICHMOND VA DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on February 14, 2021 at 1:01 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Richmond is the main facility about 60 miles away.

This is purely random, out-of-sequence data.

15. Al Amoling

Registered

Well I'm getting a piece of mail today that says the wrong address was used.....It was mailed on 1/21/21 and is just getting back to me

John Brunner likes this.