Are Today's People Becoming Extremely Arrogant?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Silvia Benoit, Jun 16, 2024.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There's a similar site called Next Door. It groups people together who live in the same general region. Yesterday someone was complaining because a loud motorcycle went by her house at 10:30AM...on a weekday (Friday.) She said she called the cops!!!

I remind them that if they can control the behaviour of others as much as they would like to, then others can control their behaviour, and pretty soon no one will be able to breathe without getting called out.

Our sense of Universality is not dead, but it sure seems to be ailing.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

"English" (in its myriad forms) is a very lyrical language. Other languages sound like rat-a-tat-tat machine guns to our ears because of the lilting tones to our phrases. I don't mind that as much as I loathe sentences sounding like questions.

But I don't think this is born of arrogance.

3. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

OMG @John Brunner ….i guess we will get to a stage where we are not shocked anymore

yes I’ve seen that Next door mentioned on another forum

4. Kate Ellery

Registered

A couple of Funnies :):):):)that apparently Aussies have complained about while on holidays

No doubt it would be entitled people

But the last word has to go to the traveller who complained the volcano they stayed near wasn’t active.:eek:

They moaned: “You said the town was next to a volcano, but we went and there was no lava. I’m pretty sure it was just a mountain.”

5. Kate Ellery

Registered

The curry-hating traveller wrote: “On my holiday to go to India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don’t like spicy food at all.”

Another tourist was shocked to discover there were fish in the sea, claiming that the animals startled their kids
    No one told us there would be fish in the sea …..it startled the children

Meanwhile, one disgruntled traveler complained that there wasn’t enough Mexicans — in Rome.

They said: “We went to a Mexican restaurant in Rome and the waiter was Italian. You said Italy was the best place for an authentic food experience.”

It’s normal to miss your usual comforts from home but one British tourist was not happy, insisting: “I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts.”

Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

They both video the entire thing with their phones and post on Tik Tok.

7. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Kate Ellery,

I remember a beach in Sydney where we went often....I don't remember its name but is a nudist one and it has like a natural pool fill by the Pacific Ocean waves.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we live in a very different world than we did in 1970. Then again, there were probably things done back then that annoyed certain people, like today.

What irritates me is seeing someone, and I think it's mainly the young generation, park in a Handicap spot. No Placard or Handicap License Plate. They don't see anywhere else to park, so they take the spot.

IOW, there are way too many young folks that don't respect older seniors at all. Then again, we don't seem to drive fast enough on streets or freeways for them!

9. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

Kate Ellery,

A person....old or young... can be killed when hit by these bikes. Yes, the person can be sent to the floor and hit his/her head on the concrete.

10. Kate Ellery

Registered

Not sure where that is mainly because I’ve never had a real interest in visiting Sydney ,it’s bad enough just driving through Sydney @Silvia Benoit

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There are indeed quite a few people who do have that exaggerated view of self importance but when I look around, I see more people who are completely unsure of their importance; so unsure that they act out so as to make people notice them.

Dunno. People confuse me.
    Is that person a narcissist or possibly someone with a histrionic personality disorder, a deliberate detractor or could it be that that person is really totally arrogant and believes he or she can do no wrong?

There are so many syndromes and personality disorders that it might seem rather divergent not to have one of them.

I think I’ll just sit on my front porch, drink my coffee, try to avoid social contact and watch the circus.

Kate Ellery and John Brunner like this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

In answer to @Silvia Benoit - um I am going to say Yes - for many of the population.

13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think that there are times when certainty is mistaken for arrogance.

Arrogance is founded upon ones unjustified personal view of themselves as being irreplacable and all important even to the point of bullying others.
    To me, arrogance is just a step further than narcissism in that it’s not just “looka me”, it’s looka me I’m better than you.
    One such person, as an example, might be the overly distinguished Dr. Fauci.
    During the Covid debacle, he was wrong, he knew he was wrong but still keeps the facade of being the all knowing greatest virus guy of all time.

On the other side of the spectrum we have the likes of Dr. Ben Carson.
    He may or not be the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to neurosurgery but when one listens to him, we do not get a sense that he believes he’s better than anyone but a total sense that he is certain of what he says.

Now, do I believe that there are more arrogant people flying around?
    Naw, just a bunch of Tic-Tok narcissists who are, like, uh…totally unaware that eventually they’re going to get a reality check.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  14. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Veteran Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-
    And of course, the ultimate example of arrogance- the former occupant of the White House.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Mary Robi likes this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Poor @Ed Marsh. tRump lives rent free in his head. I do so hope there's a treatment for that. ;):)

Bobby Cole likes this.