Are You Envious Of The Joneses

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Susan Paynter, Mar 14, 2021.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Well I imagine that you are just going to have to learn to get along with the idea of supporting other. We in the US graduate just over 80% of our children from High School. Less than 50% of our population has an associates.
    Each year American companies are being encouraged and worst of all being assisted and rewarded by our government in off shoring thousands of low skill jobs.
    Each year we incarcerate thousand for non violent victimless social crimes, therefore rendering them unemployable.
    Each year thousands of newly unemployed are added to to the roles
    Each year the right complains about more and more people being on the government dole.
    Kind of looks like a never ending supply of undesirables. Too bad we couldn't kill them when they do not contribute!

D'Ellyn Dottir likes this.
  2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Strange logic? Liberal means in generous amounts. The Joneses have everything in more generous amounts and I choose not to envy such and depart from my country conservative ways.

Al Amoling likes this.
  3. Joan Kuper

Joan Kuper Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't remember what age it was that I realized envy or jealousy of others is a form of not understanding life. While one may want another's possession or maybe status, would they really trade if they had to also take all their problems? We all have blessings as well as challenges...

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I remember counseling a client that envy is rooted in a resentment that someone has something that -- in your perception -- they didn't have to work for. Or that others have things that you (or your parents) didn't make the choice to have. And under that resentment is usually a core belief that you "deserve" more than you have -- and most people with envy can't tell you why they should deserve more. And that's when a counselor works on uncovering the why, which usually is some idea that is pretty psychologically unhealthy.

That said, envy is a pretty normal emotion. The key is to look under it and know where it's coming from in you, so you can not let it cause acting out behaviors and suffering.

When I was a kid I was rather envious of the 3 families across the street who all had Olympic sized swimming pools. My lawyer-father refused to put one in because in his mind they were ripe for a lawsuit if any one swimming at our pool would get hurt. His primary belief was in risk management. LOL

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have all that I need and have had all that I actually wanted. I am a bum. I do what I do. I don't aspire. That being said, I don't have ambition enough to try to achieve lofty goals and possessions . I did minimal skill work to avoid stress but did a good job. My favorite was farm work and I came home often covered in manure. But I slept/sleep well and have time to study what I like.

Bill Boggs and John Brunner like this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I want a new pair of jeans and a cinnamon roll.

7. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

i don't envy the jones's or anyone like them. the life i have is the one i'm building for myself. it's not made of anything fancy. and i'm ok with that.

Yvonne Smith and Beth Gallagher like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If folks knew the Jones’s like I know the Jones’s you wouldn’t wanna be anything like the Jones’s.

9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I was searching my mind earlier to day to see if I had ever been envious of anybody. I did remember once.

Hubby and I were invited to a gathering at a casual friend's house. It might have been a housewarming. The house was built beside a pond big enough to qualify as a small lake. It was huge and luxurious. It was L shaped and had a porch all around the back of it that faced the pond. Every bedroom opened onto the porch and had French doors. The master bedroom was half as big as my whole house. The husband was incredibly handsome.

The next day, I felt envious of the wife. I looked around my modest home and compared it to hers. I looked at my average looking husband.........

Then I thought about my average looking, dependable husband, my almost paid for modest home, my happy healthy children and it was all good.

I found out later that her husband had a weakness for whiskey, women and gambling. They wound up divorcing and selling the house.

10. Marci Miller

Marci Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Grass isn't always greener on the other side.

11. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I'm not envious of anyone. God has blessed my life with more than I ever dreamed of. My Spouse, children, grandchildren, and siblings, and forever friends are priceless. As for material things they come and go and some are a necessary part of our lives...but things aren't priceless to me... only people.

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Wait! I want to win a huge lottery. Of course, my hubby says he wants his half off the top, after the government's half, because I would give it all away--probably to the Jones'. But it would be fun to help a lot of people. I certainly don't need any more stuff.
    OK, I'll bite, who is Mitakuye Oyasin?

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's not a "who," it's a "What does it translate to in English?"

Check it out here. I just learned something.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Mary Stetler

Registered

Thanks to D'ellyn and you, John. This might be just what I was looking for to get All Lives to Matter. I said Namaste in yoga class (for old people) thinking it meant I SEE you. We just need to spread the understanding around more.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I used to be envious before and during my spiritual journey. I'm not now and I hope I helped my sons and grandbabies not to be.