Are You Surviving The Government Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Ken Anderson, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And if Trump were on a long-scheduled vacation, it would be plastered over half or more of the newspapers and electronic media that he was lazy and didn't care about the poor government workers unable to pay their bills. Dems can get away with it because they really don't care about the workers (I'm not sure the Reps do either) but the Dems throw their tantrums mostly as a show for the gullible. Obama played golf more than Bush did, but Bush was criticized much more about it. Bush was also badgered to release his military and health record, while Obama kept his health record and academic record sealed, as well as his birth certificate (that is why it engendered so much suspicion) through his entire two-term Presidency and only released a questionable copy of his BC near the end of his service. Double standards almost every time.

2. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

WHAT IF................people lobbied for a law that states during a government shutdown the Legislative Branch and the Executive Branch were not permitted their salaries if government workers on payroll were not paid?

3. Lulu Moppet

Registered

There are other intelligent, clear thinking women who do not prefer his politics. Given that, it points to other factors besides intelligence and clear thinking as the key to this mystery.

4. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Obama didn't need to show his birth certificate. His mother was a native born American citizen. Doesn't matter where on earth he was born, he was entitled through his mother. That is the Law. He always showed Short Form. The whole thing was xenophobic nonsense. Besides he was born in Hawaii.

Where are Trump's tax returns that might possibly show indebtedness to foreign backers? Why is he hiding them? No other modern president has refused to show their income sources.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I just saw a report on something I didn't think of. Eating places located near Fed office buildings are suffering big losses.

Lulu Moppet likes this.
  6. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Yes, Nancy, there is much collateral damage. It's been said that the contractors & subcontractors who do business with the government might Never be paid.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am actually all for the individual states taking the brunt of their own Rep’s and Senator’s salaries, expenses and pension.
    The constituents in each state would then get a lot more involved with what their representatives in congress were doing just like they do with their state government officials.

Barring the above possibility, yeah, I can go with the “shutdown and no pay” thing. As it stands, D. Trump doesn’t take a paycheck anyway and thus far in his two + years of tenure, he hasn’t taken a real vacation either. (Which is something that B.Obama stated that he wouldn’t do but spent millions of dollars doing)

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

My stepdaughter works for a government contractor and is still plugging along 5 days a week and a whole bunch of hours each day.
    Matter of fact, at Redstone Arsenal, we have 42,000 civilians working for the government and I haven’t heard of anyone yet who is hurting.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  9. Lulu Moppet

Registered

No, Trump only vacations at the vacation spots he already owns.

10. Lulu Moppet

Registered

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

That may be for the link you provided but I LIVE right next to the arsenal and no one is saying anything about any shutdown layoffs. Granted there are layoffs but they are seasonal ones such as at the NASA Space Camp but overall, our local talk shows nor news nor the people I personally know have said anything contrary to business as usual.
    A person would think that some janitors or civilian sign painters would be laid off but nope, everybody is working thus far.
    I am giving you the facts as they are right here, right now and I do not have to provide a link because frankly, I know so many people that I AM the link. There are some people who might be a little concerned about what tomorrow might bring, but the lines are just as long going into the Arsenal in the morning as they always are.

Note: Redstone Arsenal only has around 1000 uniformed people but has 42000 civilian workers employed by who? The government.

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What vacation? He doesn’t spend any time at Camp David or running around the country playing golf but yes, he does spend a weekend or two going where it doesn’t cost the American people a dime. Obama spent over 300 million just on his golf trips in 8 years.

Lulu. I get it. You hate D. Trump and there is nothing short of him parting the waves of some remote sea that would change your mind. But, at some point you really do have to look at the real details and not how you see things through those very dark glasses.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Lulu ...

This message was posted by me for YOU .. please read this and think about it.

Your posts are looking a lot like someone trying to force feed and brainwash people to make them think and believe as you do.

This is a discussion .. not a war !

Please ... You are going to give yourself a stroke !

14. Lulu Moppet

Registered

Maggie. I do not think in any way I can convince anyone on this thread. I am not even trying to. For too long, I believe (although as a relative newbie I can't be positive) that some members here have enjoyed a free-for-all with no dissent. Well, I am politically dissenting, for my own peace of mind. I am letting you all know I can't and won't share in your cult of Trump. To ignore you all would be condescending to you. It might give me a stroke.

"Your posts are looking a lot like someone trying to force feed and brainwash people to make them think and believe as you do."
    Right back at ya baby.

Let's agree to disagree without attempts to shut anyone up.

Thank you for your concerns regarding my health.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Or at least a 10% reduction in the pay of Congress and Congressional staff members for every week it continues. I would also think positively about automatic pay for the people mandated to work in fields deemed essential to the welfare of the nation, such as Coast Guard, TSA, ATC, Law Enforcement, etc., but I don't care if the laid-off workers who are not required to work get paid. They could draw unemployment and look for other jobs if they so desired, just like in the private sector. I know you think this is Trump's fault, but as I said above, the shutdown is a tool used by the legislature to control the Executive Branch. Was Bill Clinton responsible for the 1996 shutdown? Nope, Congress did it and Congress is doing it now.