Atheism And Intelligence

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

The problem is posting the 10 commandments on public property opens the door for any religion to post their beliefs there too. By posting the 10 commandments you are pushing your religion on others.

Radicals from all sides are always suing to get something removed or something added.

It's best to leave religion off of public property. If you have trouble remembering the 10 commandments it would be simpler to have them printed on a business card and carry it in your wallet. Much easier than driving to the courthouse to look it up.

Monica Rich and Nancy Hart like this.
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Actually, the 10 commandments are the basis of the laws of the U.S.A. I see them as less religious as a guide by which we all should live regardless of beliefs.

3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

There is no hiding because I think it's OK not to know or think you know for sure all things. I'm content to appreciate human spirituality and human reason simultaneously.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't get worked up over things like the 10 Commandments adorning the walls of a school or government building. The writers of the Constitution freely admitted the role of the Bible in our founding documents and of Christianity in the formation of the nation, so a very good argument exists for the inclusion of these. What upsets me more is when these things are removed after having been there for many years, as does the removal of Confederate statues, as these are a part of our commemoration of the history of our country, and demands for their removal are a result of an agenda that seeks to tear at its fabric.

5. Ken Anderson

I don't often feel agnostic about the existence of God or of the reality of the Bible story any longer, but my personal theology is one of agnosticism as far as the details go. I am sure that, when and if I ever find my way into heaven, I will learn that I had misunderstood a lot of what Jesus was trying to say, as did His very disciples who walked with Him daily.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

You're right, Beth...it's not "middle ground", it's just a different way of addressing the differences, Secular or Pious.

I retract that statement with apologies.

Holy Hal

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

The first 3 are strictly religious. And again I ask. Why do you need to put them on public buildings? The only reason is to push them on others. If an Islamic group wanted to post "death to infidels" on our courthouses would you approve?

Monica Rich likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

"THOU SHALL NOT KILL" huh?
    What a farce!

More people have been killed throughout history because of Religious differences than any other reason.

Harold

Monica Rich likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'm an Atheist...I swear to God I am!
    Hal

Monica Rich likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

That is untrue.

Joseph Carl likes this.
  11. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Are you starting with wiping out all but Noah & his family and the other deaths described in the bible. The crusades did a fair amount of reducing lives. Toss in cults & tribal religious customs. Might not have been more so maybe wrongful based on the "THOU SHALL NOT KILL" teachings.

12. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I really, don't let such things bother me, Sheldon and I do feel sorry for anyone who gets into a dither about what is determined to be a religious symbol, such as crosses on memorials or the Star of David, etc. So be it, we are a nation of differences and I feel that if the 10 commandments were thought by the powers that be to be appropriate for certain public buildings, it is ok by me.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't pay much attention to what's posted in public buildings, but I assume that since our country was established on Christian beliefs that most religious references are there simply because the buildings are older construction. I doubt that newly built buildings have any such religious references. We are all old enough to remember when our nation truly was "One Nation, Under God." Not Allah.

I have more of a problem with people wanting to tear down historical statues and flags. Those are part of our history, and no amount of hysterical idiots crying about them will change my mind.

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

It was a Nehru jacket, after the Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru.

Hal

15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

In the Hebrew this was originally written in, the actual commandment does not say.... Thou shalt not kill.
    It says....Thou shalt not commit murder.
    There is a time to kill, such as war, but murder is not an option.
    This is also Old Testament.
    In the New Testament, Jesus said if a person loves his neighbor as he does himself, then he wouldn't end up breaking any of the commandments.
    So, a Christian doesn't have to agonize over keeping the 10, just strive to do what Jesus said instead.
    If I didn't believe in God, I would probably end up breaking most of them on purpose.....because.....why not?
    Just saying.