Atheism And Intelligence

Discussion in 'Atheism & Antitheism' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

You don't need a religion to know right from wrong. Just the opposite in fact. A religion may believe they should kill anyone who doesn't believe the same as them. That, of course is wrong, but followers of that religion may believe it is right. They inherently know it is wrong but the religion has "brainwashed" them into believing it is right.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Truly, this is a valid point, and ever since the dawn of time, men have killed each other (sometimes horribly) and done it in the name of religion, that they were taught they had to do.
    Even without the killing, most religions teach that their religion is the only true one and the only true god; so instead of seeing each other as a fellow human, we tend to see someone of a different religious faith.

That being said, I do believe that we are instilled with the knowledge of right and wrong, and that God puts this in our hearts, no matter what our religious beliefs are.
    However, what we are taught makes a huge difference. As a simple example, I had a relative that would take a handful of the candies out of the bins at the grocery store when we were shopping. I was shocked that an adult person would steal candy like a little kid, and I asked her, “Didn’t your mother ever teach you not to do that ?”
    Her response was , “That is who I learned it from”. So, even though she knew inside that stealing was wrong, she did it anyway because of her upbringing (or lack of it).
    So, even if we have that little voice that tells us right from wrong, some people listen to it, and some do not. But , if our parents (or teachers) teach us to listen to that voice and do the right thing , then it helps for us to not ignore the voice inside.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In following with the chain of posts, there is a definite bit of evidence that does indicate that we humans do know the difference between right and wrong for even in Biblical terms, starting with Deut. 30:13, we are told that we know the difference.

Now, everyone who knows me also knows that I absolutely hate the word, "religion". Anything can be a religion and is directly dependent upon what one is a servant to. Atheism and Christianity are both religions and let's face it, whoever wields the bigger stick makes the rules and can be considered as an authority or God or a god.
    Note: speaking to the Jews Jesus said "ye are gods" (John 10:34)
    Note 2: The above citation has been butchered to death and if any further explanation of it is needed I can start a thread on it.

Pharaohs and Kings throughout history have been called gods (and some believed they were God) and developed their own or rules of conduct and they didn't necessarily stick to any particular written document. The rules were made up as they went and generally went along with whatever [moral failings] the holder of the big baton enjoyed. A religion? Yeah, kinda, sorta but a dictatorship for sure.
    Atilla the Hun could be called an Atheist by today's standards but in truth he and his tribe were subject to the laws laid down by the Shaman but of course, Atilla didn't necessarily abide by those edicts.
    The U.S.S.R. didn't recognize any religion but regularly put people to death or in prison for having a belief system.

What I am trying to convey here is that yes, many do things in the name of a popular and commanding belief system but there are those who claim not to believe in anything other than their own moral ethics and both have destroyed millions upon millions of people in the process. The reasoning for doing so is nearly always contrived by man but blamed on something or someone else such as a law or God. Then there are those who whether labeled as religious or not, live by a moral code befitting that of a higher societal standard which, by the bye, is very plainly laid out in the ten commandments.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

People are always ready to point out the bad things that have resulted from religious belief, but I still stand by the idea that good and bad is determined by religion. In fact, that is why religions were started. Religions can result in bad things, just as Nationalism can be perverted into Imperialism. There are people who are imprisoned (even executed) for crimes they did not commit. Does that mean no one should ever be imprisoned? @Bobby Cole pointed out Deuteronomy above (a religious text) and even the U.S. Supreme Court has the Ten Commandments posted over its door, after hypocritically allowing other displays to be torn down. All legal systems were originally based on religious principals. Every good thing can be used for bad purposes, but the fact that one knows it is evil is somewhere based on a religious idea. A lot of wars have been started over reliugious ideas, but almost all charity is based on religion.

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I strongly disagree Don. People existed tens or hundreds of thousands of years before religions were invented, I can't imagine they didn't know right from wrong.

Monica Rich and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Religions have been around almost as long as mankind, but nature, or stars and Sun were worshipped and admired then. The religions of the time still set the standards of behavior. Japanese Shinto traces origins back to prehistory and is still practiced today. Some of the tribal religions in Africa have histories that go back at least as far. Even the natives here have religious practices that go back at least 10,000 years, although many of the practices are different than modern religions. They still determine the standards as to what is right and what is wrong.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Here is a thought about knowing right from wrong, and learned behavior. A wolf, out in the wild, kills and eats whatever he wants, goes to the bathroom wherever he feels the need to go, and doesn’t give a single thought as to whether any of that is wrong or not.
    Our house dog would do the same, were he not taught differently.
    House dogs LEARN right from wrong, based on what we TEACH them. When we scold them for stealing the hamburger off of the plate we left on the edge of the table where they could reach it, then the dog learns this is wrong, and he knows he should not do this act.
    Same with house training, or maybe sleeping on the furniture, shredding the toilet paper, all of that kind of behavior, the dog learns is bad. When he does this because you are not watching him at that moment, and he wants to do it; he then sits there looking and feeling very bad once you see what he has done.
    So, my conclusion is that even animals (at least some of them) can learn right/wrong as it applies to their behavior.

I also think that humans have considered other people as rulers/gods since the beginning of mankind on this earth, and that they were taught was was right and wrong, but I think that humans also have the capability to discern this within themself, which an animal does not normally do on its own.

Don Alaska and Lulu Moppet like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I wouldn't be too quick to accept the oft-repeated claim that most wars are religious wars. Here's one take on it, that refers to the Encyclopedia of Wars, which attributes only 123 of 1763 wars as being religious in nature. Here's another, God and Science, which gives a similar argument but focuses on US wars.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

It took me about 60 yrs to get off the believing fence. THose born with tapes are so deep...my mother never questioned any of it. Dad on his way out at 95 and I spent 3 months taking care of him, confessed to me he never believed in any god. He kept his feelings inside all his life, he could have never said his truths. We could have had so much to talk about in our lifetimes.

I have many dear friends who are non believers and would give their shirt off their backs to a stranger.

My neighbor has me burning in hell since I don't believe.

Monica Rich and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know of any personally, but I would not forbid having a friend who was an Athiest.

I feel that Athiests are less emotionally trouble-prone and more self-assured and stable than those with a dominating Religion.

Harold

11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, one. Logically it is easy. Bring in faith and its muddled.
    For instance I have read some of Thomas Paine. He was a diest.
    I used to say I was also. Now I'm a duke's mixture.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    Frank Sanoica and Joy Martin like this.
  12. Joy Martin

Registered

Boy after I was leaving catholism I searched and searched, guess that was part of my life plan, but when I finally found SOM (Science of Mind) it's like I arrived. I no longer attend any church or study groups but embrace the SOM principles. Then there are those so devout and never question, I have friends like this and good people but real sheepeople.

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joy Martin
    For that belittling stance, it may just be your neighbor who winds up in hell........
    Frank

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know any atheists that I'm aware of, but I do know several agnostics. (And I am one of those.) I "tried on" a lot of organized religion as a young person but none of it fit. Like Joy, I get to hear how I will suffer hellfire and brimstone from my friends smugly cloaked in their religion. Newsflash: You can't scare me into believing. :D

15. Joy Martin

Registered

Frank, I don't believe in a H or H and I don't wish her bad but feel sorry in some ways for her, she is very unhappy and went thru a hell with her minister father issues that got her to this born again life.

Frank Sanoica likes this.