B.m.i. Fantasies

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

BMI is "Body Mass Index". Wiki explains it well:

The body mass index (BMI) or Quetelet index is a value derived from the mass (weight) and height of an individual. The BMI is defined as the body mass divided by the square of the body height, and is universally expressed in units of kg/m2, resulting from mass in kilograms and height in metres.

The BMI may also be determined using a table[note 1] or chart which displays BMI as a function of mass and height using contour lines or colours for different BMI categories, and which may use other units of measurement (converted to metric units for the calculation):

[​IMG]
    The BMI is an attempt to quantify the amount of tissue mass (muscle, fat, and bone) in an individual, and then categorize that person as underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese based on that value.
    BMIs under 20.0 and over 25.0 have been associated with higher all-cause mortality, increasing risk with distance from the 20.0-25.0 range.[3] The prevalence of overweight and obesity is the highest in the Americas and lowest in South East Asia. The prevalence of overweight and obesity in high income and upper middle income countries is more than double that of low and lower middle income countries.

Simply stated, BMI outside of the yellow band is associated with higher risk of serious disease. Which ones?
    The BMI ranges are based on the relationship between body weight and disease and death.[26] Overweight and obese individuals are at an increased risk for the following diseases:[27]

Coronary artery disease
    So, check your weight and look at the chart. How's your BMI? Mine hovers around 28.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Body Fat Percentage. Too little means certain death. Too much means that too, but it takes longer. 30% sounds acceptable for me, maybe a little less.

[​IMG]

Think she enjoys her job???

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

A little over weight.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

At our age, I doubt many Seniors watch their BMI. We do, but also don't.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The BMI index is a nice little guide for the normal everyday sit behind a desk or light work individual but it does have it’s downfalls.
    Note, I wrote “normal” because there are some things that the BMI index doesn’t cover such as the muscle versus body fat ratio.

According to the BMI, I am a little over 30 lbs overweight which falls into the obese category but the index doesn’t take into account that muscle is nearly 3 lbs heavier than fat.
    Now, I’m just a comparatively new guy in the bodybuilding arena since I only have about 3 1/2 years into it but whilst the BMI index says I’m in danger, the Body Fat Index indicates that I am pretty much on the money and on the high side of lean. Some of the guys that have been bodybuilding much longer than I have weigh in at around 250-300 lbs but have only about 5% fat on their body. I’m 231 lbs now but I’m shooting for 250 and 10% body fat.
    upload_2019-4-15_7-46-17.jpeg

Now, does this chart mean that we need to throw out the BMI charts? No, it just means that it doesn’t apply to everyone.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Right, @Bobby Cole and that is why BMI is not taken as seriously as it once was. It also doesn't apply to many laborers, farm workers, and, of course, body builders. I have known stone masons who had very high BMIs due to their heavy musculature. Healthcare folks used BMI because it was easy. They use the little Point-of-Care testing devices in the same way. Not very accurate, but easy and billable.

Bobby Cole likes this.