Back In My Day

Discussion in 'Make Me Laugh' started by Nancy Hart, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I lived in Brooklyn till I was 17 or 18 in an apartment building that was owned by my grandmother. The attached adjacent building to us had a ground level Italian Deli store. I would go in there and order a ham sandwich hero on Italian bread with mustard. The bread was crispy, the ham had an edge of white fat that I would peel off but it flavored the ham, I can still taste it. A long wooding dowel dipped into a gallon jug of mustard would be spread on the on the sandwich. Of course I had to have a soda to go with that hero, they had a large metal cooler with no cover, in it was about foot and a half of water with large chunks of ice floating around. At the bottom looking through the water and ice you would try to identify your drink of choice. Since you've done this numerous times you get to know the colors of various drinks. In the summer months it was refreshing putting your arm under the ice water to fetch your drink. In latter years I added Swiss Cheese to the ingredients, but I still enjoy my Ham Sandwiches, however I occasionally crave the original ham taste.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Somehow, I remember the face but not the show. I guess it was just about before my time.

Tony Page likes this.
  3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

When I moved from NY to Wisconsin, Delis were one of the main things I missed and now I can barely remember.
    Subway is not the same thing.

Tony Page likes this.
  4. Tony Page

Tony Page Veteran Member
    Registered

I was always a big fan of western / cowboy TV shows. I looked forward to watching my favorite weekly Cowboy shows on TV, my mom would make a bowl of Jiffy Pop everything was good.
    Wild Bill Hickok, Lone Ranger, Gabby Hayes Show, later Bonanza, Gunsmoke etc.

Photo of more recent cowboys
    upload_2024-9-19_9-25-0.jpeg

Nancy Hart likes this.