Bibbi, Diary Of A Blind Amputee

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Bibbi Wright, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher Yes, I think it’s probably very similar to what I experienced in the USA with tough regulations about where smoking is allowed though there aren’t a lot of no smoking campaigns. Smokers are definitely looked down on here too. My parents were also heavy smokers so it’s not surprising that I picked up the habit so early - started sneaking cigarettes when I was 11 and was well and truly hooked by the time I was 12. My husband doesn’t smoke and none of our children either. My daughter in law’s from Syria and she and her three eldest daughters are smokers but I’ve noticed that quite a number of her friends do too so it may be more widespread in their culture.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

As far as I know, only one of our 5 kids is a smoker, and he's off-and-on with it. When I said "everyone in my family" earlier I was referring to my parents and siblings when growing up.

3. Bibbi Wright

Registered

@Beth Gallagher Yes I realised you meant parents and siblings. It was the same with me, I have no siblings but my parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles all smoked. We looked at some old videos DH found when he was clearing out his closet of Christmas when ur two oldest were little and we were all smoking round the kids indoors.

We're off to our son and daughter in law in a little while. I guess nana will be running the battery in her wheelchair down again giving all the little ones rides.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hope you enjoyed your day with the family, Bibbi.

5. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Thanks Beth. Yes we had a lovely afternoon. The little ones enjoyed driving nana round in her power chair, much more fun than their mommy’s and oldest sister’s manual wheelchairs. We got home about 8pm.

During the night we went from Daylight Saving back to Standard Time so we got an extra hour in bed. Not that it made any difference we just got up an hour early. It’ll take a day or two for our biological clocks to adjust. Now it will get dark around 4.30 pm.

DH will be laying the new flooring (recycled laminate from our computer room) in his walk in closet and we’ll be able to start putting stuff back in there.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'm glad you enjoyed the time with your family; I haven't seen my grandchildren in over a year. They are all scattered around the state with the closest one being 3.5 hours away from us. :( Once I get done with treatment things are going to CHANGE around here!

Ugh, Daylight Savings Time is so annoying... I just hate the time change. It takes me at least a month to get used to the change and I wish they'd do away with it altogether.

Have a great Sunday (or what's left of it). Sounds like it will be a busy one.

7. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Guess we’re lucky, the closest - eldest granddaughter and her family 20 minutes away, our son with his tribe 15 minutes and the furthest one hour away. So you’re obviously not going to slow down :D

Daylight saving is standardised in all 26 European Union member nations but they want to do away with the change spring and fall and let each member nation decide if they want standard time or daylight saving permanently. Could cause problems when traveling. If countries had different times you could easily pass four time zones in one day. Best just to have one or the other.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I wish they'd just do away with it. We have a couple of states that don't participate in it and as far as I know it hasn't caused any problem.

Girl, I don't want to slow down. The past few months reminded me that I'm not going to be around forever so I'd better "git crackin'" on things that I want to do while I can.

9. Bibbi Wright

Registered

DH is just now putting the finishing touches to his closet and then we can start putting things back and getting rid of junk. We’ve had fun going through stuff and watching old videos.

10. Bibbi Wright

Registered

It’s 4.30 pm and after going from daylight saving back to standard time it’s now pitch black outside. Can’t go further than the front porch on my own as I’m totally blind when it gets this dark. Need to get some spotlights fitted to my chair.

Almost everything now back in DH’s closet, I can now zoom around upstairs again. Beep beep!

Tested DH’s old reel to reel tape recorder and it still works without any problems after almost sixty years! Couldn’t get it paired with our bluetooth loudspeakets though :( :confused: o_O :eek:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I just realized that my sister is having cataract surgery on the same day you're having surgery, Bibbi. I will be anxious over both of you that day.

12. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Thanks Beth you’re a sweetheart, but you concentrate on yourself and try not to worry too much about us. Cataract surgery and the enucleation are both fairly uncomplicated procedures compared to what you’re going through and we should both be in and out in one day.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i started reading your threads.....you are so positive about the situation you deal with ...i am just ashamed that i don't have your fortitude ...
    i will learn from your words and strength....
    and pray

Ed Wilson and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Bibbi Wright

Registered

In just two weeks I'll have had my surgery and should be home again. My left eye which is the one being removed is completely blind: I see nothing there, no colors, no shapes, no light or dark, just nothing. To give you a rough idea of how much I can actually see with my "good" right eye, which isn't an awful lot actually I've tried to put effects on a couple of pictures. The first one is how you would see this scene with normal vision. The second one is roughly how I see the same scene now as my field of vision gets smaller and smaller. To see anything beyond the doorway I have to turn my head. Luckily I can still see enough to be able to do most things and hopefully the eyedrops will help stabilize things.

0044514C-712F-44DE-B8F8-1665BD911CC3_1_105_c.jpeg 8A393DC5-9D54-49C8-BBEC-C0352430E221_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My father had macular degeneration, so his eyesight was the opposite... nothing in the center of his vision but just peripheral images. He was so frustrated by it. I hope the eye drops are effective for you, Bibbi.

Don Alaska likes this.