Blood Pressure Medication

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

HypoT and High Blood Pressure. So connected and so missed on the HypoT path....

Good Read here:

Hypothyroidism and High Blood Pressure:
    5 Safe Ways to Lower It

Tom Brimeyer
    7–9 minutes
    So, I’ll come right out and say it…

If you’re trying to lower your blood pressure through salt restriction or diuretics, then you’re in for a big surprise.

When working with clients, I see both low and high blood pressure.

It’s all about how YOUR body compensates for YOUR hypothyroidism, which is different from one person to the next.

It’s one of the many things that make understanding hypothyroidism difficult for many.

It’s also one of the many reasons why treating high blood pressure the wrong way can be deadly.

Restricting salt and using diuretics won’t solve the underlying problem.Both work to lower your blood pressure by removing water from your blood.

It’s simple physics…

Reduce your blood volume and the pressure decreases.

But, it’s like being trapped in a sinking boat and bailing water all day every day.

As long as you keep bailing water, you’ll keep your blood pressure lower and your boat afloat.

But it doesn’t do anything to fix the underlying problem.

Plus, salt restriction and diuretics come with some significant risks and can even be deadly.

The research on salt is quite conflicted.

Maintaining a low sodium diet has long been recommended for heart health, yet there is really no evidence supporting salt restriction.

In fact, some studies show that salt restriction increases your risk of early death.

The same goes for diuretics.

There are many studies showing that diuretics increase both hospitalizations and mortality for those with heart conditions.

Since when does it make sense to treat any condition in ways that are known to increase premature death?

The real underlying problem for most is a hormone called aldosterone, which is the hormone that regulates water balance in your body.
    The Hypothyroidism – Aldosterone – High Blood Pressure Connection
    Aldosterone is a hormone that is part of your renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.

In short, the hormone aldosterone is responsible for regulating your sodium levels and blood pressure.

Marie Mallery and John Nopales like this.
  2. John Nopales

John Nopales Well-Known Member
    Registered

Diuretics lower the cardiac output and are dangerous, because blood volume x heart rate = cardiac output.
    Lowering the volume of water and blood in the body, can greatly reduce the cardiac output and cause heart attacks.

High blood pressure is caused by high fat diets, including trans fats, and caffine, which has many negative effects
    including knocking the thyroid hormones out of whack, destroying the adrenals, and causing hardening of the arteries.

The only way to have a healthy blood pressure is by eating healthy food, and by doing regular cardiovascular types of exercise.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

A typical breakfast for me is oatmeal cooked with ground flaxseed and dried cranberries. I stir in half a cup of unsweetened applesauce to round it out.

I don't add milk, sugar, maple syrup, etc. though I'd consider some dried skim milk for a little extra calcium.

Sometimes I'll substitute dried or frozen blueberries (that I washed and froze myself) for the cranberries.

4. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I must have just saw this one, sometimes up and down and miss post.
    I do need to check out the ground flax seeds. I know too that berries both strawberry's and blueberry's work on both BG and BP. I eat them daily. I buy large quantity them clean and freeze. My blackberry bushes here are blooming already so will have them soon too.

5. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used to have some blackcap canes that traveled year by year along my back lot line. When ripe I'd get out each day to beat the birds to them. Eventually they stopped renewing and traveling, I assume they encountered unfriendly tree roots or didn't get enough light.

2013 photo of a few:

P7050002 640.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Maybe you should be more conscientious in taking your BP meds @Marie Mallery. With a systolic of 197 you may be inviting a stroke and we would hate to lose you.

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

It was a shock, its usually ok, but snuck up on me. Scared me big time, I took it with 2 different BP monitors. it ok today,7am today, it was 140-76-75.dianostic is always lower,till yesterday. I instantly took the med.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

That’s still high @Marie Mallery …..now stop nagging Kate :p:p……..

who I’m I .?? ……...oh I hate taking meds of any sort I only take BP and dreaded other stuff the doctors get rich selling to us ….(so I believe ) I’m talkin bout Cholesterol pills.

Well ..I’m back on the subject again bout those BP meds Marie ….Ive had my fair share of high ..nah I mean VERY high bp

and I don’t believe they work instantly:( …..( I was given one once when I had bp of 260+ that worked instantly……well in half hour ) …..
    but it was one that caused nightmares ….if taken all the time ….

I can tell you I’ve tried just about every pill and yet to find one that is just right as far as allergies gos …..but the last 12 months I’ve been on one called Olmasartan something like that …it come in a what id call plain pill and one with a diuretic.

I was taking the 40+ 12.5 diuretic but my BP was way to low ( I was dizzy ) so now I take half of one of the same pill and my BP is still on the low side SOMETIMES ( but I still take it everyday )

SO PLEASE take care …. Marie we don’t want you exploding ( what I was told once you will pop ) having bp readings like that

Always remember sit for 5 mins before taking your BP with your feet flat on the floor …..sigh repeating what I’ve been told prob 1000 times

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  9. Kate Ellery

Registered

OK just took my BP to check, ……it’s 8.15 am here right now

Note the number 1 and 2 up top right …2 different users can use it and have the readings automatically sent to a app on my Apple phone so I can or (we can both ) just grab our phones and show the dr when he asks how’s your BP been ?.

IMG_6521.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  10. Kate Ellery

Registered

IMG_6522.jpeg Here is this mornings reading on my phone …..yep its …. Monday April 1st today :):)

11. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks Kate for concern and I'm about to take it again. I may take it if if is over 120.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  12. Marie Mallery

Registered

I just ate a few of those today and lots of blueberry and strawberry.

@Kate Ellery , @Don Alaska

BP 147-77-73 3 minutes ago.

13. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

14. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Looks good, @Kate Ellery!

15. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Take low doses ever day if you have BP issues.. I had a friend who had those--BP systolic approaching 200 and he died in his sleep shortly after he remarried in his 60s