Blood Pressure Medication

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Marie Mallery, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you agree?

Research suggests that ARBs tend to have less side effects compared to ACE inhibitors123. Those taking ARBs tend to have a lower risk of developing a cough, skin swelling, digestive tract bleeding, and pancreas inflammation1. ARBs like losartan may cause fewer side effects than ACE inhibitors3. However, keep in mind that these should not be used during pregnancy1.
    Learn more:

2. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Kate I may change meds, unless doctor thinks I need to stay on this one,I put it up on reply to Don.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

4. Janine Coral

Janine Coral Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've taken Amlodopine for three years now, it seems to suit me ok, no issues I am aware of
    at least yet...

Don Alaska likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was just reading an article about our internal clock, our Circadian Rhythm, and it said that the best time to take blood pressure medication is at night, and not in the morning.

IMG_6359.jpeg

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The same goes with thyroid meds. I have read at least wo studies that show that taking thyroid supplements at night is more effective than in the morning, but most doctors tell their patients to take them in the morning. I don't know why. With the thyroid, I have always assumed it was because the patient's stomach is empty all night and thus allows more complete absorption. I don't know why this is, and I don't know about the BP meds. Perhaps they think people will be more compliant in the morning. Maybe then they don't know and aren't aware of the studies.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

From a post of mine in February - It is no win situation to me, in order to stay well and alive.
    But, over a week ago the one doctor still at the clinic took me off
    amlodipine and has made a Big difference in me all over. No more body swelling especially from waist down, no more sleeping off and on all day, walking sooo much better. The list goes on. This is The only thing I know that has changed for me recently. I have been on that stuff since 2017! I thought all the issues my issues were mainly from all that is wrong- or was with me - until he changed this one medicine. The difference is remarkable. I was telling Julia Curtis about this and she says - mind over matter thing.. Um maybe. All I know is I feel human again! Now to hope the new medicine works for the BP. :p:)

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

What are you switching to @Hedi Mitchell ?

9. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been taking Amalodapine 5 mg daily at night time for years....I'd love to be out of pain or with less pain in my body, could this bbe my problem, wondering now. j m

Mary Stetler and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Don Alaska - he put me on Lorstan 25 mg at night. I took Amlodipine 5 mg twice a day.
    All I know is there is a big difference in me this past week and this is the only thing that has changed. My hubby takes 1 x a day Amlodipine 10mg . He shows no sings of what I went through. Keep in mind, injured my kidney with the CHF back in 2017. My right foot and leg would swell noticeable, so wore compression socks off and on. I have had none -zip nada in the last week. The only medicine I remember ever changing my issues almost over night was Presidone .
    Just hoping this good feelings last and the new meds work on blood pressure.
    Doctor did say to take the Lorstan at night because heart attacks and etc were more prominent at that time.
    P. S. I casually looked at side effects on this drug- so please don't ruin for me :cool:

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

When I started on the long BP path many yrs ago and oh how I tried to NOT take any pharma drugs and then finallly gave into them. I had been seeing a integrative MD at the time and she in her wisdom gave me an old BP med to start and it was Atenanol 25mg in AM, and it just didn't do the job of lowering so she added 5mg Amaladopine at evening time....and I've been on this med and dose for years,,,the aches, pains, fatigue one lady calls it A.G.E. and I do have a pain OTC routine every 6 hrs.....so I manage but the A.G.E. thing for me, I just have to manage it.....with as few drugs as I do.....

All BP meds have side effects...

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

I am glad the change has been for good. I hope it continues.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

I spent half a day in ER yesterday because of BP. BP has been running high and went way up Friday Tried to call the GP I have been seeing but he's out of office until 29th of this month.
    The only reason I went aside from being high was I started sweating a bit - misty like and me legs were a bit weak.
    Lucky for me I was only patient there and had 3 or 4 nurses to attend to me. This was all about 10:30 ish and did not get out until almost 4pm.
    2 EKGS, 2 blood work tests,and a urine test - and monitoring of blood pressure, I was sent home.
    I was put back on the Amlodipine 10mg once a day and stay on the Losartan. I hope this helps.
    So today I am hoping things improve on the BP. I am going to skip ranting about how much I detest the lack of medical doctors here- can not keep any- and everyone wants to change things up. I do like the young doctor I am seeing here, but this is 4th one sense moving here in last 17months.
    My new motto - Try not to die in SW Kansas :eek::p

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh my goodness, G! I hope you are doing much better now. Keep us updated.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Alabama is not really close to Texas either, but it is a fairly low cost state to live in, and we have some really good doctors here in Huntsville, if you do start thinking about another move, @Hedi Mitchell .
    It sounds like they didn’t find anything new or serious when you were at the ER, or are you still waiting for more test results ? Hoping the medicine change does what they expect it to, and you start feeling better again.