British Slang Words & Phrases

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Hal Pollner, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Also not true I'm afraid...we say exactly what @Shirley Martin said... '' I need to go to the loo''... . if we're asking for directions to the toilet in public we'll very often ask where the toilet is... but never '' I need to wash my hands''..''or powder my nose'' ... we are fairly direct, we ask where the toilet or the loo is... say we need to go to the toilet or the loo.. ..occasionally we'll say bathroom.

2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, Holly, very insightful. :)
    Incidentally, what about this "never" or "never ever"? I overheard a conversation where one person said: "We never ever use a phrase like 'The penny has dropped.' No one says that. I haven't heard that in all my life and would never ever use that." Is that true? Is this phrase not used?

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Never ever?...yes that's used a lot Thomas....

The ''penny has dropped''?...yes we use that phrase too.... :D

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  4. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I didn't mean the phrase "never (ever)" but wanted to question the validity of "never (ever)" in general by using the phrase "The penny has dropped" and the opinion expressed in the conversation as an example just because I saw it being used here in SOC, too,[sic!] and thought it would run counter to what the speaker in the conversation I mentioned may have thought. Can it be that the usage of language may be highly subjective? :D
    OK, I'm aware that we are getting away from the subject. Sorry for the deviation and sorry to @Shirley Martin and to all of you. :)

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

One thing I have never understood is why the toilet is located in a bathroom. The loo is for one thing and the bathroom is used to take a bath or shower and they are totally differentiated by the use of the individual words.

However it came to pass, I rather like the word loo. It’s easy, direct, less harsh sounding and to tell the truth, I personally hate the word toilet. Toilet or toilette, is indicative of toil but to me, there is no toil but a measure of relief which negates the whole intention of the word. I even like “library” better than the “T” word.
    The use of the word Toilet is also right up there with some colognes which have toilette water plainly printed on them which sends a visual of someone splashing waste water on their face. I am, after all, a very very visual person and such things bring about some imaginations which should not at all be shared with others.

Like it or not, loo is a much better term and completely separates itself from the bath as it should be.

Yvonne Smith and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

I think most houses in the UK have the toilet where the Bath is..hence the request for a Brit when in the USA to use the Bathroom, not for the first time to find themselves, embarrassingly in a room without a toilet..:D...I think the reason initially here in the UK for toilet and bathrooms in the same area was just because our houses are small , generally speaking....and the vast majority don't have more than one bathroom...

I don't have a combined bathroom and toilet in my house ... they are separate!!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

In some of the homes I helped build with my dad, the loo, bath and powder room is all separated into different rooms.
    Even the older restaurants had barriers between the wash area and the loo for the men’s area, and the women had the same barrier but another doorway which led to the powder room (before exiting).

Nope. I can’t disagree with Hal more. I really really like the word loo and to use the term bathroom when clearly I am not going to take a bath seems a little uncivilized and a bit of a lie for I certainly do NOT use the bath for nature’s callings.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

yes I know what you mean Bobby...the toilet cubicles and ''powder'' rooms are all separate in public conveniences, but in homes, no... much as I'd love a separate bathroom, toilet, and Vanity (powder room).. in the house... usually they come with much larger houses than most people have here...

I agree with you...Loo is a good word !! :D

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes I'll say: "I have to use the Bartholomew."

Hal

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Rather than that of the Apostle, perhaps you are relating to this little ditty. The Silent Comedy:)

11. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Never heard of it.

Hal

12. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Much prefer the word BOG instead of LOO

13. Holly Saunders

Registered

oooh dear...lol... haven't heard that word since we used it in school as teens... not heard anyone use that for decades

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My master bedroom bathroom has the toilet separate.

It was also the case in my houses in Hungary.

It's also the case here in all the bathrooms at my daughter's except for two...The one in my bedroom here and also the one downstairs ....

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Loo is better than CAN