Cancer

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If all goes well, just overnight, and if I'm up to it, I'll have at least my Kindle Fire there, and maybe my MacBook.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Wishing you the best, Ken. Will try not to aggravate you til you come back healthy. You don't need any extra stress now.

3. Ken Anderson

Wednesday morning is when I'll have my operation, and they'll be keeping me overnight. However, I am going to try to finish my work hours for the week before then so, while I'll be popping in and out over the next couple of days, I probably won't be spending a lot of time in the forum. Maybe I will. It all depends on how many other things come up.

4. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

My thoughts and prayers are with you Ken.

Bonnie Thomas and Linda Binning like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

So are mine.

Linda Binning likes this.
  6. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Veteran Member
    Registered

Thinking of you, Ken.

7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Tomorrow I will be thinking of you along with everyone else and wishing and praying everything will be well, and you won't be in too much discomfort...best wishes Ken...

8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think you can be human and not be frightened by the things of this world Ken. You are doing the best you can do, and keeping up on the checkups etc. I know a little about the aches and pains that I'm sure are my heart having an attack. It's never been that, so far;) I have a pacemaker due to a 3rd degree av node block. It is the least serious part of the heart to go on the blink, the electrical part. But I know when I feel any odd feelings, anywhere near my heart, I am instantly on edge.

Like I said, you are just a human being with normal fears. I'm surprised we aren't all dead, just from the fear of this crazy ass world we live in. I will say a prayer for you Ken, as well as your wife/family, denise

9. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Thinking positive thoughts for you, Ken.

Bonnie Thomas and Linda Binning like this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry Ken, I'm just seeing this. I'll say a prayer and cross my fingers, as well. My belief is that there are things inside of some of us that are triggered by other things we encounter, whether through work, air, food, etc., that result in cancer. Almost all of my loved ones who've passed have passed due to cancer, so for me, it seems to be only a matter of time. It's good that your issues are being identified in time, and you're getting treatment. Hopefully knowing that, as well as that everyone here is praying and sending positive thoughts, will keep your spirits up, and give you some peace.

12. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Best of wishes Ken. Hope it's all over with before you know it.

angel.gif

Terry Page likes this.
  13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Hope well goes well tomorrow Ken

[​IMG]

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Just to remind you that at 10:00 tomorrow morning, you will be in my thoughts and prayers. {{{Ken}}}

15. Ken Anderson

Thanks everyone. I have finished my work hours for the week, so I have time to sit around worrying about tomorrow. Although everything I read or hear indicates that it's not a major surgery, or at least not one in which there is a high risk of major problems, these do exist. I could lose my beautiful singing voice, but since I'm the only one who thinks that I have a beautiful singing voice as it is, that's probably not a major consideration. I could be hoarse for the rest of my life, which wouldn't be any fun, but there are worse things. For example, I could lose the ability to talk. Or I could bleed to death on the table. When they take the right thyroid out, they will biopsy it and if they find that it's malignant, they'll have to go back in within a week and take the left one out too, which increases the chances of complications, according to my surgeon.

More likely, I'll be put to sleep. I'll wake up several hours later in recovery. My throat will be a sore, and my neck will hurt for a few days, but I'll be okay otherwise. I know that, and I was far more concerned about the radiation therapy that I received for prostate cancer a few years ago. Then I found that, during the course of treatment, I didn't have any side effects at all from the radiation. But I did later. I still haven't gotten over them, and likely never will. Of course, the surgery I'll be having done tomorrow isn't like radiation therapy. The bad effects, if there are any, will be in evidence immediately, not something that gets increasingly worse as the months go by.

It will probably go just fine, but I worry nevertheless. If not for the fact that the thing that's growing in my thyroid is symptomatic, my surgeon says that he wouldn't recommend removing it at all. That type of a tumor is very seldom malignant, he says, and unless they find malignancy during the needle biopsy, they don't remove them unless they are symptomatic. So, while I won't do it because everything is all set to go, and my wife wouldn't leave me alone, I play around with the idea of canceling it.

I also consider things like, if I were single, I would have probably never gone in for the physical that suggested that I had prostate cancer. Would it have gotten worse or would I be blissfully unaware of its existence at this point, free of the complications from the radiation therapy? I might have died of something else at the age of ninety. It's hard to tell.

Anyhow, thanks for your well wishes, and I am fairly certain that I'll be okay. I'll let you know if I survive it; otherwise, of course, you might have to wait until my wife finds her way in here. As it is, I might be able to persuade her to join the forum by telling her that I've been talking bad about her.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Diane Lane, Terry Page and Babs Hunt like this.