Canning

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Sheldon Scott, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Some of the vacuumed packs of lemon juice in the freezer

We like nice fresh water with added lemon juice no sugar…. ..just lemon juice / water freshly made as required IMG_6956.jpeg

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We canned 7 pints of salmon and vacuum packed and froze the rest of the 10 salmon. Probably about 35 pounds of fish after they were cleaned and processed.

3. Kate Ellery

Registered

Im just curious how you can salmon @Don Alaska not that id prob ever make any for myself as DH won’t eat salmon
    I buy Atlantic salmon for my self ( fresh) and tiny cans of tuna with chilli for the rare times I feel like a bit of lunch
    I’d imagine it would involve quite a bit of careful preparation / canning

4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

We just pressure can it. It takes an hour and 45 minutes for pints. A long time to watch a canner.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  5. Kate Ellery

Registered

Thanks Don …..yes a long time to keep an eye on the canner while is hisses away ,Aussies used to can rabbit , I’ve actually got a very old Fowlers Vacolla canning book I’m sure it has canned rabbit instructions in it .
    Im sure there are Aussies who still can meats , however it’s advised by most canning outlets when you buy jars NOT to attempt to can any meats …..and I’m not even sure why …maybe it’s because someone didn’t follow instructions and suffered serious illness or maybe died from improper preparation / cooking

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It takes a long time and many are under the mistaken impression that water bath canning for a longer time is the same as pressure canning. That has led to many injuries and deaths over the years from botulism. Meat and fish can be done safely, but it does take patience.

Kate Ellery likes this.
  7. Kate Ellery

Registered

The very old book I have I’d think it would date back to the late 1940’s by it description ( 18th edition )

Mine it getting a little fragile , I’ve had it around 50 years

@Don Alaska

IMG_6961.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2024
    John Brunner and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Kate Ellery

Registered

Inside the cover of the old Fowlers preserving book it states you can’t buy a a Fowlers book unless you prove by adding serial number that you have a canner ….. that was fairly harsh …many would have only used an old wood burning copper if they could afford or had jars to can food .

We never had fruit trees as youngsters as it was to arid with little water to grow much in the way of gardens
    However when my gran made Christmas puddings months before Christmas she would boil them in a old copper out in the unlined tin shed ( her bathroom )

IMG_6964.jpeg

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.