China Has A Lot Of Problems

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

6 quakes hit China in 2 days; Three Gorges Dam hit its limit: experts; China lake looks set to spill

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I recall when construction was started. Over 1,000,000 people relocated. Lots of cities, towns & villages destroyed.

That dam sits on a fault, so it's way worse that the dam exceeding capacity.. I imagine the video says that.

Main source of power AND a major shipping lane AND tens of millions downstream, all at once.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Well, that does it. I'm not moving to China after all.

4. John Brunner

I remember people talking about their "good China."
    Must have been some distant dynasty...

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

As World War II was coming to an end, the communists were making their moves in China. The rest of the world was distracted and not in the mood to take on another conflict.

6. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

...and look what that has meant as we look at the China of today. Communism is flourishing when it has all but been eradicated from the rest of the world.

Ken Anderson and Martin Alonzo like this.
  7. Martin Alonzo

Registered

China owes U.S. $1.7T sovereign debt in gold

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It appears that China is having even more problems. After having terrible flooding for most of this summer, and people losing homes and crops, the financial situation is also getting worse.
    The main Chinese company which owns real estate, is about to collapse. Maybe some of that is because of the properties losing value after all of the flooding, and maybe for other reasons.
    China is also having power shortages, which forces manufacturing plants to either cut working hours, or have to close completely; because of no power or coal to run the plant.

All of those cargo ships that are sitting just off-shore here, can’t go back to China for more cargo until they are unloaded here, so that is also affecting the financial situation in China.
    If the factories are having to close, and most crops have been destroyed by the floods, even if the cargo ships get back to China, they might not be able to reload and come back with more cargo.

If any or all of this happens in China, we will certainly be feeling the impact here in our economy, as well as the supply chain.

https://makanany.com/news/chinas-ec...e-u-s-stock-market-could-be-hit-next-barrons/

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. John Brunner

I hadn't thought of the cargo ships being tied up in that context, Yvonne. One talking head said that the Chinese didn't care if the ships got unloaded or not, because those orders were already paid for. That certainly was a short-sighted comment.

Another major issue that hasn't been thrown out there yet is their gender imbalance (I'm not referring to men in dresses.) Generations of One Child policies caused women to abort daughters in favor of having a son. From this article:
    This is the important age range because it foretells of a population decline due to all those men not being able to find a partner. The aggregate Chinese gender imbalance is lower than 120/100 because women live longer than men, so the "surplus" of elderly women skews the totals...but it's the breeding ages that drive the future population.

I wonder if the Chinese planners have considered enticing women from other countries to come marry these men. You gotta think the idea has been kicked around.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

And societies with "excess" men usually start planning wars, as having unoccupied young males can lead to trouble if the ambition is not channeled. I saw that Biden made a statement that "Of course, we will defend Taiwan", and the following day a statement from his handlers at the White house released a statement rescinding that pledge, stating, " We don't want a war with China." Despite the front, China is a very fragile society, and the only way to keep a fragile society under control is to start a war of aggression. (See Germany in the 1930s and the USSR before that).

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

One of Trumps EO was that any country found interfering in the election they would stop trade. Now I wonder why those ships are sitting out there.