Chronic Diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know, everywhere I look I see different numbers, but I just found a US site that agreed with Cody's being T2 diabetes at 6.4%. I think I was a diabetic in 2018 when I was first told, it was in Jan. 2020. I didn't have access, or know about MyChart (where we can get our tests, lab info online) because if I had, shoulda woulda coulda :rolleyes:, I'd got started on the issue right away. Mayo Clinic has what looks to be the right info and agrees with Cody's ;)
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351199

I rely more on my labs every few months, rather than the finger-prick, but it's nice to have if I eat something or drink something I know I shouldn't ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

What I'm saying is, the current number Cody is getting is WITH medication. That number would not be used to determine a diagnosis but to show the "control" with meds. A diagnosis would be determined without any medicines. Hope I'm explaining that correctly. :D

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, John, that is interesting, isn't it? That's why we continue to wonder if the city we live in, and people in it, have something to do with our problem.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Someone mentioned peanuts, they are the Worst nuts, so many are allergic to them and they are grown in the ground so contain fungus/mold. I don't eat any and one time when I did from the planters jar, my joint pain exploded. I don't eat nuts per se.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Perhaps, but I'd sure like to know what possible agent is at work if that's the case. It's not your apartment, because it's not happening all the time.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

I got mixed up Mary as I'm talking on another forum about high cholesterol, I don't need anything for my T2 as I have it under control with nutrition, but thank you for the info, I hope Cody saw it ;)

7. Denise Evans

Registered

Oh, ok, I did think he meant that's when he got diagnosed, but yes, that was for his last A1c, gotcha ;)

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

Hmm, are we talking water-supply?? I don't like to think what is in our water-supply, but I do have a little purifier on my tap and I'm not having any issues, so far ;)

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Chronic diarrhea is not an attractive topic, and not one that I'm inclined to talk about when I actually have it. Some months after radiation therapy for prostate cancer, that was a problem, although not to the point where I needed to wear Depends or anything. I would refer to it if I had to refer to it at all (I didn't) as loose stools, not chronic diarrhea. Imodium kept things in check, but it's been several years since that's been a problem.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2023
    Don Alaska and Denise Evans like this.
  10. Richard Whiting

Richard Whiting Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have found that certain foods with a ton of soluble fiber does help. For me: I eat a lot of refried beans, at least one semi-green banana/day and home-made apple sauce. Insoluble fiber usually makes diarrhea worse: like for example home-made veg soup made with onions, celery, garlic, peas, carrots , cabbage, tomato sauce, and kidney or pinto beans.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we had the Sluggish Bowels topic so I suppose turnabout is fair play. :p

I also had a few "exciting moments" after cancer treatment but that was short-lived, thankfully.

12. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess my point was, the recommended dosage may be a CYA minimum, to avoid liability. Hope you figure out what was causing this.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Ken. Should have titled the thread, "Loose Stools" instead.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Then again, the term "explosive diarrhea" might have brought in the crowds.

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Many knowledgeable health professionals wouldn't consider anything under 7.0 diabetic - especially in someone over 60.
    The risk of treating it is worse than mildly-elevated glucose in older people. We can't expect anything to work as well as when we were young.
    A friend of mine who is now 88 (& still rides a motorcycle) was put on Metformin 6 years ago because his doctor decided that one fasting test showed a blood sugar of 120. After he developed diarrhea & other problems, he stopped taking it & is doing fine.

Mary Stetler likes this.