Chronic Diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 7, 2023.

1. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

As you're probably aware, "Sugar" has many forms. The teaspoon of sugar people put in their coffee or tea is only 4 gms. That's too small an amount to cause a problem. I use 1/2 tsp of sugar in my coffee, along with a couple of tablespoons of sweetened whipped cream - which only has 1 gm per tablespoon.
    All carbohydrates are converted to sugar (glucose) because that's our main energy source. It's not the sugar in coffee that's the problem; it's mainly the carbs in processed food - bread, crackers, chips, pasta, etc. and anything made with flour.
    Sugar is only a problem in soft drinks - one can has 10 teaspoons of sugar - 40 gms.

2. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

When i was told I was diabetic , I was told to check labels on foods for sugar content ,I was horrified to read allot of foods are so high in sugar ,especially sauces/ chutneys / breakfast cereals / even canned vegetables

Faye Fox, Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Tony Nathanson

Tony Nathanson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

^^^^^ That's one of the problems with food labels.
    The FDA allows food companies to deceive consumers by listing the sugar and carbohydrates separately. The sugar is included in the carbohydrates, so the only important thing to look at is the carbohydrates.The reason food companies do that is because the "Sugar" listing only refers to added sugar; not the sugar already in the food. Remember, ALL carbs are converted to sugar when you eat them. You'll notice that the "Carbohydrate" listing is usually much higher than the "Sugar" listing on the label & (of course) companies want you to buy their product, & they hope you won't have that information.

Here is an example: Eziekel Bread. per slice: You may see "0 Sugar." But each slice actually has 15 gms sugar.
    • Calories: 80.
    • Protein: 4 grams.
    • Fat: 0 grams.
    • Carbohydrates: 15 grams.
    • Fiber: 3 grams.
    • Sugar: 0 grams.
    Cookie Label: Note the difference between the Carbohydrate info & the Sugar info.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2023
    Mary Stetler and Kate Ellery like this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I had to get involved with the medical community again recently:mad:
    Just going into out hospital is like going into a luxury hotel. It is big business, not a hospital run by nuns anymore.
    I remember when they lowered blood pressure numbers to increase the number or people with high blood pressure. And yes, they want people our age to have the bp of a 24 year old--with the help of drugs.
    Mine went up to 142 over 76! I found it is actually the span between the numbers that is the issue a lot of the time. Should not be a difference of over 40. Not a problem with me normally. Not taking drugs.
    PRE diabetes can scare a person into some drugs now too. Instead of truly being educated about diet. Of course some people would rather pop pills than eat correctly. Whether the side effects are dangerous or not.

Don Alaska and Tony Nathanson like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was first diagnosed Diabetic II, in late 2008 by non-VA doctor (wife's work insurance), my blood glucose number was 302. He called me immediately and told me to come in to see him. Gave me a Testing Kit and prescribed Metformin 500 twice a day. In 2010, I was having ringing in one ear (Tinnitus) and seen a different non-VA doctor (moved to Florida). He prescribed a medication for me that I shouldn't have gotten, due to being a Diabetic II. Don't know if he ever looked on computer at my Records. The medication ended up raising my blood glucose, so I stopped it. Still have the Tinnitus, but now wear Electronic Ear Protection when we go to Gun Range. The Tinnitus I have doesn't bother me at all. Doesn't keep me awake at all.

Anyway, in January 2011, now with VA Medical again, after give blood tests, was put on Glipizide as well, to reduce blood glucose. Today (June 2023), I take a Glipizide twice a day (AM/PM) and 1 1/2 Metformin (1,500mg). 500mg in AM and 1000mg in PM).

I was taking 2,000mg of Metformin daily, but hospital doctor (my first hospital/2-day stay this past April) told me, after telling him how much Metformin I was taking, Lactic Acidosis could be a problem I was having (concerning kidney function). When I was admitted into hospital, my GFR (kidneys function) was 22. So, after I was released from hospital, I lowered my Metformin dosage to 1,500 (with approval of my VA doctor). I have since (as of now) raised my GFR to 69 due to getting back my taste buds and appetite.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, now, back on why we both get very loose stools so much. I had it last night after having a great breakfast at Waffle House and doing some grocery shopping. We are continuing to research/look for an apartment in southern Nevada/Henderson and that has become pretty stressful. Have no future date to move, due to still packing and waiting for our boat to be summerized at local Marine Dealership/Repair. Have to have it transported and estimate to move our stuff, before giving a date. IOW, plenty of stress sometimes.

Mary Stetler and Faye Fox like this.
  7. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If I may ask ? What was the medication that raised your glucose ?

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

A non-VA doctor prescribed Prednisone for my "ringing in the ears" problem. But, unfortunately, didn't check my health records to see if I was a Diabetic. This prescription significantly increased my blood sugar level, but didn't do a thing to help the ringing in my ears. After I stopped using the Prednisone, another doctor prescribed Glipizide to being my blood sugar back down. The non-VA doctor was not my regular PCP doctor.

9. Ron Beforee

Registered

Thanks ... I have that damn ear ringing as well. I have tried many "cures" ... nothing seems to work.

10. Mary Stetler

Registered

I get ear ringing FROM medications like aspirin.:confused:

11. Ron Beforee

Registered

I have considered giving up aspirin for maybe just a week ... just to [see].

12. Mary Stetler

Registered

Sometimes I just gotta take it.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just seen this thread I done and wondered about your prostate cancer thing. As you know, my last two PSA lab numbers were 18 and I will be seeing a VA approved Urologist the first of October. After my first lab was done, I got a call from my NP's nurse asking me if I had certain symptoms of a Urinary Infection and I had none. Guess my NP thought my PSA number was due to a Urinary Infection.

Anyway, I told her I had no pain or any other symptoms she asked me about. I was prescribed a 500mg Antibiotic (2x daily) for 7 days. However, after that 7 days, I started feeling a little pain on the right/lower side of my stomach. I had another PSA lab done and it's number stayed at 18. That's when I was referred to a Urologist.

Now, whatever it is, even if it is prostate cancer, how did you handle the treatment?

Mary Stetler and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thank you, @Cody Fousnaugh. It's been several years now, yet my numbers remain good. As for the treatment, I chose radiation only since some of the other options were closed to me. While going through the radiation treatment, there were no adverse effects at all, with the painful exception of the one-time urinary catheter insertion. However, about a month afterward, the complications hit, including discomfort while sitting down and diarrhea, both of which have persisted. I can only conclude that the radiation resulted in some irreversible damage. However, while I can't say that the discomfort while sitting down has abated in the sense of going away, I have gotten used to it and pretty much accept that as a regular part of life. I rotate between sitting on a chair like a normal person, using a donut, using a kneeling chair, or using my standup desk, with breaks either lying in bed reading or going for walks. Then again, I do spend a lot of time behind a computer. The diarrhea isn't nearly as bad as it once was, although I have to take Imodium now and then. Usually, I'll take it every day for about a week, and then I'm good for a few months as long as I don't go crazy about what I eat.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thanks, Ken, for the reply! I don't know what is wrong yet, and depending on the time of day, I don't have any pain at all. Found out that having a PSA number of 18 is high, but that being that high could be due to a few different things. Will have to wait and see what the VA Approved Urologist tells us next month.

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.