Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Haha! A friend of mine bought some and said it is VERY strong coffee. I like strong coffee but it has to be smooth, not burned tasting or bitter. I'll let you know, Jerry.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I got a couple of new coffees today and just made a pot of the Copper Moon Guatemalan Antigua Blend, light roast. It's pretty good. When I opened the bag, I was afraid that it was going to be too strong for me because the aroma of the whole beans was strong. It was a good aroma but I thought the coffee was going to be strong. Only, it's not. It is indeed a light roast. The other one, I haven't tried yet.

copper-moon.jpg faro.jpg

3. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Folger's Decaf, Man!

None of that Llate, Cappicino, Mocha, or Espresso trash for me! Just plain Coffee, dude!

I have 2 cups per week: One cup after Saturday breakfast, and one cup after Sunday breakfast.

Never with my meals!

Hal

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Okay, I am on my second pot of coffee for the day, so I tried the Faro coffee. It's probably a visual thing but I worried that the Copper Moon coffee might be too strong, perhaps because it came in a black container, while I wasn't concerned about the Faro coffee, which is in a white container. The opposite was true. The coffee in the dark container tasted like what I ordered, a light roast, while the coffee in the white container, although a light roast, is a bit harsher than I prefer. It's not bad, just a little stronger than I wish.

I like trying different coffees. Usually what I do is that if I come across a coffee that I like a lot, I will not only remember it and order it again sometime, but I also drink it the way that it came. However, if the coffee is anything less than excellent, I'll mix the beans from one type of coffee with those of another, and this will often produce a better coffee. Even with the coffees that I like a lot, when I buy a 2-pound bag, I sometimes tire of it before it's through, so I might mix it with another type of coffee, producing a third type of coffee that I'm not bored with.

5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Coffee is coffee, some roasted from light to very dark, from course to very fine ground.
    Coffee can be flavored. There is no doubt a coffee for every taste. Now there is a military
    coffee. Before that some few companies had a military coffee, in as much as they would
    donate to the military a unit equal to what you bought, as Community does. So I suspect
    military coffee is more of a marketing approach and chances are pretty good this coffee
    would not satisfy as many people, including veterans and members of the military.
    Just a guess. Will be interested in your evaluation @Beth Gallagher.

6. Ken Anderson

Yes, coffee is coffee but some of it tastes great while other kinds of coffee are awful. Of course, tastes in coffee can change over time or through experience. I was in my thirties before I tried anything other than the stuff that came in cans, like Folgers, Maxwell House, and the like. Up until that time, specialty coffee meant Luzianne with Chicory. I liked that, and I might still, but I haven't tried it lately. Then I was introduced to the fact that there were several kinds of coffee available, that it tasted much better when it was fresh, and that this meant buying whole beans. I soon learned that there weren't very many dark roasted coffees that I liked, and that a lot of the medium roasted coffees tasted like dark roasted coffees, and that the safer choice was a light roast, for my tastes, realizing that some people prefer stronger coffee. After a while, I learned that I could make the coffee taste better if I ground it manually because the electric grinders tended to burn the beans and that a coarser grind produced a coffee that I liked better. At some point in my life, I might try buying a roaster and try my hand at roasting the beans myself, but I haven't committed to that yet.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill--the military coffee is good; very strong but not a bitter blend. I bought it out of curiosity and probably won't buy again since we prefer our old standby brands... Costco Kirkland and McCafe French roast. :D (Disclaimer: I am not a coffee snob; I just know what I like. :D)

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

If you have an air popcorn popper you do not need a roaster. Dog bowl and a heat gun, whirly pop stovetop popper, cast iron pan and a wooden spoon,all will work. Air popper needs to be the style with the vertical vents in the heat chamber for bean circulation.Can often be found at a thrift shop for a couple of bucks. Coffee will ruin it for popcorn so don't use one you love. Fresh Roast is probably the most economical purpose built roaster. Small Batch ¼ lb. for starting at around 150 bucks.
    I've been roasting my own for about 5 or 6 years. I buy about 16 lbs give or take at a time, I end up with artisan quality coffee for 7 or 8 bucks a pound. I know that for you grocery store folks that is outrageous,but for someone that really enjoys the nuances of a good cup, it is cheap.

Bill Boggs and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Folgers Ground Coffee in the Jar is the Best!

Harry

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Oh, my goodness , I am in “Coffee Heaven” this morning !
    Ever since @Ken Anderson mentioned getting the Foolash Goulash coffee on Amazon from Coffee Fools, that is where I get my flavored coffee. They have more varieties than I have ever seen anywhere, and trying out a new flavor is always an exciting adventure.
    This time I ordered the Almond Joy flavor (A.Joy Island) to try out because I love the almond and coconut combination. When the package got here yesterday, I discovered that they had sent me Almond Fudge instead, so I messaged Amazon and let them know it was the wrong flavor. Amazon wrote back and said to keep this one, and my Almond Joy would be shipping out tomorrow.......... so soon I will have that to try , too.
    In the meantime, that almond fudge is incredible !
    It has the aroma of chocolate and amaretto, and tastes like a rich chocolate coffee. I think that it might exceed the Chocolate Raspberry as my favorite flavor.

11. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Last night the replacement package of the Almond Joy coffee arrived, so this morning, I am having a cup (or two) of that , and it is super delicious , and smells just like an Almond Joy candy bar.
    When we order from Amazon, I try to remember to look at the coffee and see which ones are on closeout. Most of the time, the Coffee Fools 12 oz packages of coffee are around $12-15; but when they put it on closeout, then you can get it for under $5 usually, but they only have a few of each kind, so the sale flavors change all of the time.
    If you try to put it on the Amazon standing order, you will be paying full price after the first package, so I just look each time and see what new flavors are available at the sales price.

Bess Barber and Beth Gallagher like this.
  12. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

If you blend the right coffee creamers, either liquid or powder, you can copy a lot of various candy bar flavors. I used to do that before getting stuck with sugar free creamer, but I can still find sugar free chocolate and vanilla.

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I got some more coffee today. It includes another one-pound bag of Coffee Fool's Foolash Goulash, which is a mixture of whole beans that they sell incredibly cheap. It's always good but never tastes the same. Then, for the first time, I am trying a pound of their Fool's African Cinnamon. Lastly, there is Olde Brooklyn Coffee's Brazilian Santos, which I hope I like because I bought five pounds of it.

IMG_0320.jpg

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Cool brand names!! I'm stuck with Folgers Half Caff, but I live vicariously through other people's enjoyment of my beloved coffee.
    Here's a coffee cup for you:
    images - 2019-09-25T165253.022.jpeg

15. Ken Anderson

I made a pot of the Fool's African Cinnamon and it is very good.