Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I drink about two pots of coffee a day, sometimes more. A few times a year, I'll drink hot tea instead of coffee for a few days at a time.

John Brunner likes this.
  2. Dale Young

Dale Young Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I drink coffee straight up...black. Usually just one cup a day in the morning, and a tea in the afternoon. I used to love cream and sugar in my coffee, but for many years prefer it black, you can really taste the coffee.
    I was in France a few years ago, and I have never tasted coffee so good as they have there, even McDonalds has excellent expresso. I used to always make brewed coffee in a pot, but for one coffee, it seemed a waste, then I used a french press, great coffee, too much work, now I have a keurig and use Tim Hortons brand k-cups, it makes the hottest, perfect coffee!

Nancy Hart and John Brunner like this.
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

This is me. At least 2 pots. I was recently on Amazon to find a temp-controlled tea pot so I can start drinking my Asian teas again.

I've gone without coffee for extended periods of time, and am amazed at how I can wake up and actually be awake and perky, right out of bed. But I always come back to The Joe.

I wish I could find a clip of the Saturday Night Live skit "Java Junkie" to post here. Aykroyd checks himself in to Maxwell House to dry out. Classic stuff.

Joe Riley and Ken Anderson like this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

My father never said anything to me about how to drink coffee. :p He knew I was smart enough to figure it out for myself.

I usually drink 2 cups in the morning and one at night. I'm having one right now.

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  5. John Brunner

Really?
    You never got the talk about The Civets and the Bees?

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

He was busy making me change a tire on the car, which I had to be able to do before I was allowed to drive it alone. (Age 16)

John Brunner likes this.
  7. John Brunner

That's a good dad.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Best ever. And a coffee drinker to boot.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Is this true, @Ken Anderson ?

056F4B68-E565-406E-B599-F4A0EBAAFE7E.jpeg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Ken Anderson

I am thinking no. I don't see it on their website and it wouldn't fit their business model. They do have this one, though.

thinblueline.png

I quit my subscription with them, though. Some of the coffees were too strong for my taste, so I'll just buy the ones that I like best separately.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Just curious Ken. Have you ever tried “Locknload Java”? I’m into a medium blend but by the looks of the site, this stuff looks a little strong. Yvonne’s daughter bought me a locknload mug about 5 years ago and that’s the only mug I use but that’s about as far as I have gone toward trying the coffee.
    https://alpha.coffee/products/lock-n-load-java-special-reserve

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

No, I haven't tried that one.

13. John Brunner

So have any of you coffee hounds invested in a high-end coffee maker?

I recently posted about my desire to buy a Bunn coffee maker in the Online Purchases thread. When I boil water to manually make coffee during power outages, the flavor is near-restaurant quality. Bunn has consumer models that heat the water between 195° and 200° (supposedly the ideal coffee brewing temp.) Most Mr.Coffee-type machines are in the 145°-165° range. Water temp is the main reason restaurant coffee tastes so much better than home-brewed.

The cheapest model is around $100 and takes 10 minutes to brew a pot. It heats the water to the high temp, then a valve opens up (much like a car thermostat) and the water is released. Some folks complain that they cannot get rid of the plastic taste. I gotta think the near-boiling water being held in the plastic reservoir intensifies this effect that you don't see in other makers. Bunn makes other consumer models with stainless steel water chambers where the water heater is always kept on, ready to brew the next 10 cup pot in just 3 minutes (Velocity Brew.) I have no idea how much electricity the thing uses, but it's a forever-on heating element.

I'm sitting on the fence as to whether or not to buy one of these. There are other manufacturers of machines that heat the water to the higher temps, but Bunn has a 3 year warranty rather than a 6 month one. I just can't make myself spend $100 on a coffee maker. But I know how much better my coffee tastes when brewed with hotter water.

Anyone here have a maker or a process they especially like?
    (Sorry if I'm treading over old ground, but there's 30 pages to this thread. I've not read them all.)

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

It's not exactly high end, but it's higher than the Walmart store brand, I think. I have a Ninja coffeemaker which works pretty well. I like the coffee I make here a whole lot better than pretty much anything I have had in a restaurant. Years ago, when we ran an Internet cafe, we bought a Bunn coffeemaker that would do four pots at a time. Actually, I think it would only brew two pots at a time, but it had two other warming plates. Unless my wife gave it away, it's probably packed in a bin somewhere around here

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  15. Ken Anderson

The Ninja must be high-end then because I think I paid more than a hundred for it. A brand-name coffeemaker that we bought for the Internet cafe that I was very disappointed in was a Cuisinart. It looked pretty but it wouldn't keep coffee hot long at all. If I was using it for myself, by the time I drank one cup, the rest of the coffee in the carafe was cold, and we had to dump a lot of it at the cafe.

John Brunner likes this.