Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sheesh. I ordered that stuff yesterday evening and it's here today. (Coffeemaker is coming on Saturday from Walmart.com.)

[​IMG]

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy Thanksgiving!

[​IMG]

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I canceled my subscription to Black Rifle Coffee, not because it wasn't good coffee, but because too much of it was stronger than I liked. In return, they sent me two 12-oz packages of coffee for free, both ones that I haven't tried yet - actually, one looks is a holiday blend, which they probably sent to subscribers as well, because it has a Christmas tree on it, and the other is their Freedom Roast, both medium roasts. It kind of makes me want to rejoin - which, I suppose, was the point of it.

2020-11-27 15.27.25.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Woohoo! New coffeemaker is in da houz. :D The coffeemaker was made in the USA (Iowa) and the carafe was made in Germany. :happydance:

IMG_8819.jpg

IMG_8817.jpg

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I need to try a few more of those. I've only had one and I can't even remember which one I bought, but I think it's in my Amazon order history. I love strong, dark coffee. Let us know what you think of the "gifts."

6. Ken Anderson

It so happens that I just made a pot of the Freedom Roast. It's good. It tastes more like a dark roast than a medium roast to me, but most of the Black Rifle stuff trends upward, I think. Next time, I'll use fewer coffee grounds or I'll mix it with a lighter roast, but it tastes pretty good as it is.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The unpacking of my new Bunn made me realize that they have cheaped out and no longer include the nifty plastic water pitcher or the cone-shaped coffee measure scoop that used to always be included with a Bunn machine. Of course I have a plastic water pitcher from a previous purchase and I'm fairly certain there are a wad of the coffee scoops in the bowels of the "junk drawer" (Lord knows what treasures are to be found in there.) Still irks me that companies find ways to cut a few pennies when most people would pay an additional $2 for the already overpriced thing and Bunn could still provide them.

Anyway, it gave me an excuse to purchase a nifty wooden coffee scoop from Amazon to make myself feel better.

Joe Riley and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I see that they have some light roasts, have you tried any of those? There's one called Silencer Smooth that has excellent reviews. And get yourself this nifty grenade mug. :D

[​IMG]

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Silencer Smooth is my favorite from Black Rifle, although I mix a little bit of a stronger blend into it, usually. Perhaps I'm wrong and it's actually medium roast that I like best. That's a nice mug.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Seems like the prices for the Black Rifle coffees has gotten a bit on the high side; I'm not going to be buying much of that stuff.

And in my typical fashion... now that I have the glass carafe model home I'm thinking I might want the thermal pot after all. o_O I'm going to order that one from Amazon and look at them side-by-side. What else have I got to do?? :p (I won't actually use them until I decide which one stays; then I'll get to play the "How to Fit This Thing Back Into The Box" game.)

11. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

That's not fair.

I ordered my Bonavita before you ordered that Bunn, and I won't see it for another 3 days.

12. John Brunner

It's interesting how some cultures either stretch their coffee with chicory, or they drink 100% brewed chicory. I believe Luzianne may have been one popular blended brand.

ps: This is chicory, too. I put it in my salad when it's available:

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

I use chicory in nearly every pot of coffee I make but just a pinch of it, to smooth the taste of the coffee rather than to stretch it. Chicory is strange in that if you use too much of it, it has the opposite effect. When I try a new blend, I'll make the first pot without chicory and use that to determine whether the second pot needs chicory or not. Before I started grinding my own coffee, I often bought Luzianne, but I've never tried the Cafe Du Mondi brand.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  14. John Brunner

So "chicory" is a very broad term, kind of like "nuts." Exactly what do you buy? Is it a pre-ground hot drink mix, like Postum?

I'll have to try this when I get my new machine and start making special coffee water.

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I lived in Baton Rouge, LA for three years so I know all about coffee and chicory. (Also coffee where your spoon will stand straight up in the cup. :D) I bought the Cafe du Monde because I used to love to go there for the beignets and coffee; I have not tried this ground coffee before so we'll see. I like Luzianne and also the Community coffee brands.

Hey @John Brunner -- wouldn't you know, Amazon has the Breville on sale. Still too rich for my blood, though.

John Brunner likes this.