Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In a very strange way and stretched to the maximum, Sweet Marias coffee can be associated with American Vets because it’s produced in Oakland, Ca and that’s where thousands of us boarded a plane headed for Viet Nam.
    That sarcasm joint is aching again. Ya know, that joint that connects the facetious bone with the acidulous bone?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeh, I noticed that.

I guess you saw that they have a K-Cup sampler that has 4 different coffees in it. 48 pods for $48. So that's around the same cost as buying 3 different bags of coffee.

I've set a random ceiling of $10/pound, and have yet to pay over $7/pound for any of the coffees I've tested. The 8 O'Clock original in the stores is under $5.00/pound while Hills Brothers online is under $6/pound. The only way I could rationalize a $20/pound price is if the quality caused me to swill less...much less. I just read that you get 47 cups from a pound of coffee (roughly 3 cups per ounce.) By that measure, only 4 cups per day of the $20/pound coffee would still be $50/month. There's no way I could limit myself to that little.

When I first retired and really scrutinized my budget, and was shocked to see me spend $350 a month on groceries while buying no alcohol, I knew my biggest single expense was coffee (even drinking the cheap stuff.)

3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

And just what do you know about veterans? Just something out of your vast personal file?
    No I will not support them because they are full throated supporters of the failed would be dictator trump!
    Just like the my pillow dude and many others.
    Displaying your religious and or political stripes while running a business is a two edged sword.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Gee. how much more off topic can ya get here Pete and how many more threads are ya gonna destroy with your hatred?
    Actually, backing Trump was a great strategic business move. When many conservatives threatened to boycott Starbucks, Black Rifle stepped it up by throwing their favor toward Trump thereby gaining a huge amount of momentum in sales.
    Capitalism at it’s best.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Martin Alonzo likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Now, back to coffee.
    With so much enthusiasm about the Black Rifle brand, I might have to try it. Do they have a medium blend?
    As it is though, I’ve been off the strong stuff for quite a while and have been stuck on the McCafe’ medium roast. It’s smooth, nutty with a hint of something I can’t quite describe but I love it.
    We have 3 coffee grinders and I’ve ground my own coffee for some time but after trying the McCafe’,
    the coffee grinders are getting dusty.

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You know, it would have been easy to skip this thread since you don't actually have any input other than more hate.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

The Black Rifle coffees are more full-bodied as Ken has stated. I have only tried one but I'm curious about other blends.

My favorite coffee is also McCafe, but it's the French roast in k-cups. I ordered a can of McCafe ground coffee from Amazon but it's on the "no rush" shipping so I'm not sure when it will arrive. I hope it will be as good as the k-cups version so I can stop spending money trying out coffee. :D

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s funny now but I felt a little devious when we found the cans of McCafe” medium roast at Walmart for $3.00 per can. Devious because I knew there was no way that it would go from $12.something to $3.00 but we got about 6 cans that trip. And I wrote, “that trip” because a couple days later whilst at Walmart, Yvonne checked and yup, 3 beans so she bought up their last 3 or 4 cans knowing that somebody would eventually catch on and the price would have to go back up.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Wow, score! On Walmart.com the price for the 29 oz can is $8.94. My husband had to go check on his mom's place because we're having a freeze tonight, so on his way home he's going to stop at Walmart and grab a can.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I grabbed a cup of coffee after dinner a bit ago and am sitting on the porch feeling the temperature drop. It’s supposed to be around 20 with a wind chill in the teens tonight. I think if I sit out here much longer it’s going to be nearly frozen coffee instead of the hot stuff.
    Best of luck on that freeze tonight Beth.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, my search is over. The McCafe French Roast dark did not disappoint. I will be stocking up on that for use with the Bunn.

@John Brunner -- there has been no "plastic" taste (or any other off-taste) from the new coffee maker. When does yours arrive?

John Brunner likes this.
  12. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There is a good coffee here called Santo Domingo and visitor usually take it back to Canada. I have the coffee truck that supplies the small country stores stops and sell it to me in runs about $3.43 for 16 oz. bag deliver to my door. Living in paradise

13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Is it grown locally, Martin? I remember the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee from my travels there. (And of course Tim Horton's from CA!!)

Speaking of Tim Horton's.... I found a can of Tim Horton's ground coffee buried in the pantry, probably from our last trip to Canada in 2012 or so. :D I suspect it needs to be discarded.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm happy that I am not so insecure as to allow a political party to determine the coffee that I drink. But then, that's why I'm not a Democrat.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Checked it out on the UPS site today and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow. I downloaded the User Guide to get myself up to speed, and discovered that Bonavita recommends weighing the coffee rather than using a volume measurement...10 grams (a little over 1/3 ounce) per cup.

Per the manual:
    Interesting, huh? From all that I've been reading, I have never seen that bit of advice before, nor have I seen that difference in density pointed out before (one would assume the darker the roast, the less moisture in it.) I checked the coffees I use. The White Monkey "premium" coffee is 5g/tablespoon, while the 8 O'Clock/Hills Bros blend is 4g/tablespoon (on a scale that weighs in whole gram increments.) I put 7 TB in a 6 cup pot of a rather coarse grind.

There's no way I would double that, yet after researching just now, I see the same advice echoed here.
    -1 regulation coffee scoop = 2 TB
    -2 TB coffee = 10 grams (no mention of differences in roasts, and it roughly comports with my weights of 1 TB)
    -Use 10 grams of coffee per 6 oz. cup

Gee, didn't I say "For all the coffee I drink, this is one cooking rabbit hole I'm not interested in going down."???

I'm glad your Bunn does not give an off-taste, but you got with one with the stainless "always ready" tank, no?

I'll check out that McCafe coffee. But based upon my experiences from when I pour hot tea kettle water over the grounds, I should be fine with the coffees I currently buy brewed in this higher-end maker...and they don't sell a whole bean version of McCafe coffee.

I ordered that discontinued Cuisinart grinder. We'll see how much coffee it grinds (in grams) when I set it for 5 cups. It better be 50 grams or I'm giving a bad review ;)

Terry Coywin likes this.