Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Community coffee is available most places now. I remember back in the early 1990s when I lived in Baton Rouge, I'd mail packages of Community Coffee to my sister in south GA. A few years later it was available in her local stores so I didn't need to send it to her. Regular grind Community is no stronger than other coffee brands and actually a disappointment when expecting that typical Cajun coffee experience.

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  2. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was driving 35 miles to work in 84 and always had my morning coffee to take with me. I never bought the community coffee because it was just much too strong for me. I would drink it at the shop because that was the only coffee they would buy, they used that monthly lease deal on the coffee equipment and you had 3 choices of coffee, all of them were community. You heard the expression walk on water, that's how I see that cajun coffee, you could most definitelly walk across it. I remember back in the mid 50s when I would spend the summer at my Aunt and Uncles little farm just on the outskirts of Bayou Jack. They never bought that strong coffee and drank one of the popular brands of the day. They had a neighbor that had two young boys my age and I would have lunch with them at times and their Mother and Father was 100 percent La French. She would make up a quart of fresh milk and put vanilla and sugar in the milk. The lunch was baked chicken with dirty rice and gravy. Cooked the old fashioned way with the liver and not hamburger. It sure was good. :D Now at the closing of my lifespan I have a daily dose of garbage for my lunch and supper. It is hard to find anything in the store that I truly like or would spend the money they wanted. For several years I was buying a certain brand of Red Beans and Rice with Sausage and it was a nice decent helping in a plastic bowl. I think it was like 3.50 per bowl , along came the virus and opportunity to steal and last month that same little bowl was a bit above 5 dollars. When I saw that I had to chuckle because I knew not many people would throw down that kind of money for something they could cook themselves and have 10 times the amount. The sausage is still hanging in there with no gouging that I see and probably because that stuff needs to move and not sit in the cooler for a long time. In August I plan on buying a new crock and rice cooker and start cooking on the weekends, looking forward to that for the winter months. I love to cook a good beef stew. I like to spice it up a bit using just a regular package of Taco Mix, it taste really good ! :)

3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I received the Masontops Cold Brew coffee maker yesterday and got it set up this morning. It's easy to do; just add coffee grounds, room-temp water and shake, then set aside for 12-24 hours. I added the coffee amount to make "concentrate" and will leave it for 24 hours. In the morning I can pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the concentrate into a cup and top it off with boiling water to have a warm cup.

I was surprised to see the color change in the water after simply adding the coffee and giving it a shake. It almost looked like coffee already.

IMG_2692.jpg

4. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

Sounds like an awful lot of work just for a cup of coffee. I get my cup in like 3 minutes each morning and that seem like a long time. I take advantage of the lull and prepare the breakfast for the cats. It all works out

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Actually it was quite simple, but definitely wouldn't work for a "coffee NOW" situation. (Have a Keurig for that. :p ) I'm mostly playing with it because I got it free in return for a product review, so I feel compelled to test it so I can give an honest review and not some made-up hogwash. (I prefer actual hogwash to the made up stuff.)

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've drunk tea from the time I was a wee lad. I had my first cup of coffee when I got my first job out of high school working in a drug store. We had one of those big 50 cup makers in the stock room, and the cream was kept in the fridge behind the pharmacy counter (where the manager and the assistant manager hung out.) At first I took cream my coffee as was my habit with tea, but I was drinking so much coffee that I felt conspicuous going behind the pharmacy counter so frequently for the cream that I started drinking it with just a little sugar.

That was in 1972. I've taken my coffee black (with a little sugar) ever since. And I still take cream in my [British] tea. I drink Asian teas straight.

7. Thomas Stillhere

Registered

At 5 I was hitting that delicious Geritol that had the fruit flavor. It was in the fridge door cold storage shelf easy to reach. I always remember that one skit with Lucille Ball and vitamin commercial filming she was in the process of making. She got drunker than cooter brown after so many cut scenes. Really the Geritol tasted great !

John Brunner likes this.
  8. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Dude!!!! Geritol was 12% alcohol!!!!

"And to this day, I can't watch Lawrence Welk reruns without feeling a little tipsy."

Thomas Stillhere likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

LOL!! My mother used to say "drunker than Cooter Brown." When my oldest grandson was born and just a tiny little fellow, he would bob his head when he turned to look at something. I started calling him "Cooter Brown" and now he's 20 and still my little (6' tall) "Cooter." :D:D:D In fact, he called me a couple of hours ago and made my day.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I'm still happy with my Black Rifle Coffee subscription. I use the option where they pick which coffee brand or flavor to send and, while I have been getting two bags a month for quite a while now, there was only one flavor that I wasn't pleased with, although even that flavor was better than ground coffee that I'd get in a grocery store. There was that one where the beans didn't smell very good, and, although the coffee tasted better than the beans smelled, it wasn't one that I'd like to get often. That may not even have been a flavor problem, though; maybe it was a bad roast or something.

Looking at the Black Rifle site, I see they now have an Exclusive Coffee Subscription option but I think I'm okay with what I have. The flavor they are highlighting in the ECS option mentions pineapple, sugar cane, and citrus as taste notes and I don't think I want any of that stuff in my coffee.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I like coffee to taste like coffee and my whiskey to taste like whiskey. No added flavors please.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Trans men, trans women and now, Trans coffee.

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

My friend and I used to like a cup of cinnamon flavored now and then. That was 50 years ago, time slips away. Another song.:D

14. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I recently tried this coffee as WaWa stores are migrating to North Jersey from the Shore areas, finally. The dark roast is delicious and by far the best coffee I've had in a very long time.

Mary Stetler likes this.