Coffee

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Bill Boggs, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I really like some of the flavored coffees from Coffee Fools, too ! They have the best variety that I have ever seen, and some flavors that you would never think would be found in coffee. They are pretty expensive (to me); but when I look through the listings, sometimes they have some on cheap closeout, that can be added to an existing Amazon order.
    I used to drink more coffee, although I have never been an all-day coffee drinker; but now I stick to 1-2 of the coffee mugs in the mornings, and either decaf or tea later in the day if I want something hot. My cardiologist said it was bad for my heart to drink more , anyway, and they want me to limit caffeine.
    Bobby only drinks coffee in the morning, too; but he will make two of those 12-cup carafes of coffee just for himself.

Ken Anderson and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  2. Maryt Hope

Maryt Hope Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

We get kcups from Angelino's, the 96 pack auto-delivered.

For me its...Colombian Narino, Kona Blend and Dark Roast
    For the wife...Breakfast Blend, Mocha Java and Italian Roast.

And when winter comes, I'll grab seasonal cups.

Now if I could only get a proper ESB or Bitter auto-delivered, life would be complete!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a Mr. Coffee small coffee maker like that @Yvonne Smith. I ordered it from Walmart to bring to my daughter's when they were living in Texas. I hated the coffee from their Keurig machine...no matter what cup size I pressed the coffee was always way to strong for me. So I brought my own little pot and ground coffee from home and from then on had my coffee "my way." :)

Now my little coffee pot is sitting in the cabinet and if our other maker goes out we have a spare one until I can buy another big one. :)

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I drink a lot of coffee and add a sprinkle of chicory to nearly every pot. A pound of chicory lasts about a year. I just found a K-cup brand that included chicory and ordered that as well.

6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

No fair @Ken Anderson, what’s the name of the K-cups with the chicory? :rolleyes:

7. Ken Anderson

Community Coffee. Here's the Amazon link to it. I probably won't like it though, because it's bold and I usually drink the light roast or medium roast. French Market makes some too, but it's also bold.

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Ken Anderson , That might just be what I want. I do like a bold dark roast coffee. I’ll drink one or two cups a day, but with the lighter coffees, I’ll drink cup after cup all day long. :(

9. Ken Anderson

The chicory tends to smooth it out a bit so I might not mind the bold.

Ina I. Wonder and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson My Maternal Grandma used only chicory as coffee, when I was a kid. I recall my Dad quietly disagreeing, in private, of course. Don't remember when my folks let me drink coffee, but it seems it was pretty early on; don't think I took to it then, and that likely pleased them. She pronounced it in Czech, ..... tsikorkoo phonetically. The real spelling I'd have to "wing", maybe zikorko. I tasted it. UGH! Also tasted my Mother's Instant Postum. Double UGH!!
    Frank

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

From Civil War writings, when real coffee scarce, I gather that chicory alone isn't very good.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Our 12-cup coffeemaker gave up the ghost this last week, and since Bobby drinks at least 1-2 pots full every day, this is a serious catastrophe in this household ! Of course, we have my little 4-cup (translate as 2 mugs full) but that is unusable for Bobby since it has had —- gasp!—— chocolate flavored coffee made in that pot.
    After an Amazon search, we ordered one of the refurbished Flexbrews that does both a pot full of coffee, plus makes single cups with either grounds or k-cups. It arrived, but alas, it was missing the parts that make it usable for k-cups.
    So, it is on its way back to Amazon as I write this.
    We ended up going to Walmart, and got a $10 coffee pot, and one of the single serve brewers that does either grounds or k-cups, and both of those together ended up costing less than what the single Flexbrew coffeemaker had cost.
    Since Robin had given us 2 boxes of k-cup coffee along with the defunct coffeemaker, Bobby can now use those when he wants just one cup more instead of having to brew a whole pot.
    I have been using the little filter that takes regular coffee, and making my chocolate cappuccino coffee a cup at a time, and so this is working great for both of us.
    Now, my little 4-cup coffeemaker can be used for when I want hot tea, so it seems like we are back in the coffee-drinking business again.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  13. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Anyone grind their own coffee. This could have been answered in the thread but I'm not going all the way through. I'm looking at grinders now and plan to buy one and use a pour over coffee maker. I want to get better coffee and move away from the instant.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

I have ground my own for years. For the first few years, I used an inexpensive automatic grinder that would grind enough for a pot of coffee in a second. That worked well, but I have since found that the coffee can be made even better if it is ground more gently, so I use a hand-grinder and I like that better. You'll find a picture of it here. The link simply takes you to an earlier post in this thread; it doesn't send you off-site.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  15. Ken Anderson

As a follow-up to my earlier post with the pictures, the second coffee grinder is the one that I use all the time. I have figured out how to adjust the grind, and find that it makes better coffee if I don't grind it too finely.