Coincidences

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Patsy Faye, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I love to hear about them - the one regarding JFK and Lincoln is fascinating ...........
    My Mother went to stay in Canada, whilst there she went into a frith shop and was drawn to a very nice handbag. As she opened the bag, there was a photo inside. It was of her :eek: and a friend, taken 20 years before ! She asked about the bag and the lady that brought it into the shop. Yes she was a frequent visitor
    and they did meet up - good eh ...........:)

2. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

That is amazing - the story of that handbag and how it ended up in a thrift shop on another continent with that photograph ...... wow! What a great story - if only handbags could talk ....

Holly Saunders and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Would love to hear of any coincidences that have happened to you all ...........

4. Julie Stewart

Registered

I can't think of any. Other than things that aren't true coincidences - such as bumping into somebody in a public place (theatre, cinema) and you say" Well fancy seeing you here" or "What a coincidence seeing you here" .... but they aren't really coincidences - certainly not like your story.

Joe Riley and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting story, Patsy. I've never had anything like that happen to me but I have had many things show up just when I need them. Way too many to be just coincidence.

Joe Riley and Patsy Faye like this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Before I married my husband the Holy Spirit clearly told me that the man I was going to marry had a ring just like the ring I wore. It was a silver band with a cross in the center of it. A couple of years later, I met the man with that ring and married him without a doubt in my mind that he was meant to be my husband. :) Some might call it coincidence, but I call it destiny.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Well Babs, I always associated my Paul with the Jack of Diamonds, and it amazed me how many times I saw this card that was of relevance
    For instance, we had a lot of issues to overcome in our courting years, at this time we had split up, I was walking home from work and there in front of me on the pavement was the Jack of Diamonds, I smiled and thought to meself he will come over tonight, the thing is, he had to come to my sister's
    place which he didn't like to do, but sure enough - he came :D
    I like your story very much, reminds me of when I met Paul - there was definitely intervention there ...........

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know if it was coincidence but the way my husband became a Freemason was just chance or a coincidence since his name began with The letter G.

When we first married, money was tight and it was his birthday, so when I saw a mans ring in a thrift shop for $5 that had the letter G on it and it looked like real gold to me, I bought it and gave it to him. Neither one of us knew anything about the Masons.

He liked it and always wore it. One day at a business meeting he shook hands with someone and they asked him if he was a mason, he didn't even know what the guy was talking about but this man told him and not long after that
    My husband joined the lodge in Cary, Illinois.
    He already had the ring which was good because they weren't cheap and his did turn out to be real gold, I got a bargain and he became a mason.

He went pretty far with it becoming a 33 degree mason and master of the lodge and also knights Templar and the Scottish rite.

It might be called a secret organization but there's really nothing hidden in any of it. Just like any other fraternal organization. I think the only thing you couldn't be is an atheist. They did a lot of charitable things.

So the coincidence of my husbands name starting with G and G being a symbol for God and Geometry in masonry is how he became a mason.

And now I'm wondering where his ring is because I haven't seen it in a long time.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was being taught by my father on how to ride on a horse in the racetrack, there was this guy who would pass by and smile at my father. I always see that guy that later I learned was a rich owner of race horses. That was my only association with the rich guy but I wonder why his face was always on my mind. When I was in college, I would read the sports page and sometimes would see that rich guy winning a big race. And when I graduated, I was hired by a commercial bank. After some months passed, that's the time I got to know that the rich guy was the one who recommended me to that bank... which his family owned.

PS. Until now that rich guy still owns some race horses and he is one of the top horse owners.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Julie Stewart and Corie Henson like this.
  12. Julie Stewart

Registered

Ah! @Chrissy Page 's story just reminded me of one ..... the reference to the letter 'G' stirred the memory ....

It was about 3 years ago, my daughter Sorrel and her boyfriend Garry were visiting me in Epernay. There was a huge brocante (flea-market) on the Sunday morning and we wandered around. Sorrel bought some pretty little teaspoons and I found some lovely knitting wool. Then Sorrel saw and bought an oseille plant (oseille is the French word for sorrel), a few minutes later I saw and bought a small lace runner (as for a dressing table or some such) my name "Julie" was worked into the lace design.

Garry moaned that he never found anything with his name on it - especially as he has the double 'r' spelling and that there was no such thing as a "garry plant" .... we all had a little laugh at this and decided to leave the brocante and get some lunch. As we turned round we all saw it at the same time - a comic book called "Garry the Pilot". It was in French, which made it even more unusual because neither Garry or Gary are names used here - it was spelt with the double 'r' - AND Garry is a pilot ! ! ! ! !

13. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've just returned from visiting my daughter in Spain . She lives very remotely way high up in the mountains...with no near neighbours..and the nearest very small traditional village 7 or 8 kms' away.

During our visit to Spain my husband and I visited Granada City which is about 2 and a half hour drive from where my daughter lives.

While we sat having a drink at a beach front Cafe..my husband was taking a photo of me and an elderly couple came by and he asked if we'd like him to take a picture of the 2 of us..

We got talking and we said that our daughter lived in the remote area in the Sierra del Hacho mountains , and they were astonished because they lived there in the nearby village..and when they asked my daughters' name, they not only knew her because but had been the very first people they'd met when they moved there .

Absolute co-incidence or something more?...that those friends of my daughter were the ones to stop and speak to us in a city hours away from where they live ?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

WOW ! FABULOUS !

Holly Saunders likes this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Registered

As a child, I wanted a Daddy so much and to be a 'family' that when my Mother told me she had met a man that wanted
    to marry her, I waited for her to bring him to meet me. I sat in the restaurant where she worked it was 11pm, in she walked alone
    Where is he !? She said it was too late and I'd see him tomorrow. I leapt out of my chair to the door, the sea front was jam packed
    with tourists. I waded through and grabbed the man I 'knew' was him - 'are you gonna be my Daddy?' ............
    He lifted me up and with a big grin took me back to the restaurant - it was HIM
    They called it a day when he wanted Mum to go back to Australia with him - oh well ......................