Composting

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Member
    Registered

Thanks Ken and John, I will frwd your input to her. She is quite well versed in the skills of gardening and has churned out quite a bit of produce in the last two years. But experience counts and your input will add to her knowledge.

About the pic of the compost bin as suggested by you John, sure will post one when I can start walking again or I will ask her to take one. Right now she is my caretaker and a good one too.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think you need tougher worms. I raise worms throughout the winter. Starting with one bin, I'll have four or five by spring, if it's like last year, and my worms eat coffee grounds. A few days after I add some coffee grounds in a corner of the bin, the worms will be crawling over it. Even then, it's about balance. I certainly wouldn't feed them all of my coffee grounds (I wouldn't want to keep them up all night) but the rest of it does go into the outside compost piles. I even empty the grounds and the compostable paper from K-cups into my compost containers.

3. Ken Anderson

On the subject of balance, if you grew up on a farm that included horses or cows, you might be familiar with manure piles. Our manure pile was on one side of the barn, and it got pretty big. Although everyone knows that manure is great for compost, you could dig to the bottom of that manure pile and it was still manure - dried perhaps, but still manure. It didn't begin to compost into the soil until it was mixed with a bunch of other stuff, which would occur after dad spread it out in the fields.

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Such are the downsides to being an Internet Expert, huh? I figured you (and your worms) had experience with this.

Seek and ye shall find...whatever opinion you choose.

5. Ken Anderson