Crazy Or Stupid Things That I Believed As A Child

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't know how old I was but I can remember first learning that water and food went down the same tube when it was swallowed. Since it came out a different uh.. tube, I guess I assumed that it went down a different tube to a whole different place. Plus, mom would get upset with me if I ate too fast so I assumed that was so I wouldn't accidentally mix the water or juice with the food. I don't remember what I thought about soup, but I was probably confused by it.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I even thought about that....at least I don't remember. :)

This is kind of embarrassing but I don't really think I knew about sex until I met my husband. I had the classes in high school but I never really thought about it.

I didn't date in high school, dad was strict....my husband taught me everything. :)

Good thing he knew what he was doing.

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Eating Cheerios as a kid... I would chew them up and the good ones went down on the right side of my throat. The bad ones...lolol whatever they were went down on the left side.
    I thought grown people were born grown....until I got the facts of life at age six.

4. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

I, and some of my school friends actually believed that the old lady who lived on the corner of mystreet was a witch, she had long scraggy grey hair and of course, because she was OLD, we thought her very ugly, ashamed to say, but we'd often taunt her and run away giggling and frightened at the same time ... anyway, she came to our house one day and told my Dad how cruel we were ... I never did it again!
    Karma, I guess that's how some little kids now view me

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

When I was very small (I mean under 7 because we moved from that house when I was 7 ) we also had an old lady who lived up the road in a cottage by herself with long wild grey hair, and we too thought she was a witch. We didn't taunt her but we would run hell for leather past her door in case she came out to grab us. It didn't help that in the field opposite her house, and just on the end of our road was a Huge Chalk mountain... ( Hill)... and we truly believed that her friend the Ugly Giant lived under there...so we would dare each other to climb as far as we could up the chalk hill.. before sliding on our backsides back down because we could hear the Big old Giant roaring..and coming to get us!!

Now all of that is typically child thoughts... however my big admission is...

I was actually in labour giving birth age almost 21 years old... and I had NO IDEA..where this child was going to emerge from, I thought it came from my stomach... ( I cringe when I think of my lack of knowledge)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Omg that is funny....and you wonder why you were pg...Lololo

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Looks like we were similar in that department. :)

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I must have been about 3 or 4 years old when my aunt told me that my "belly button" was for putting salt into so a person could dip their celery whilst they were sick in bed.
    Strange that she wouldn't relinquish the salt nor the celery when I caught chicken pox. It was at that time I learned the truth about the ever popular innie.
    It is for sticking your finger into when you get tempted to pick your nose.

9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I thought we pooped babies :oops: o_O
    I thought Sparky's talking piano was 'real' and I so wanted one
    The times I tried to catch a falling star ..........:rolleyes: (and put it in me pocket)

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I really can't think of anything. I use to read a lot when I was little and learned about where babies came from, the differences between men and women physically, inventions, just a lot of things. Being in reading circles and clubs was my favorite pasttime. I also thought some of the childrens' book didn't make any sense at all but enjoyed them just the same.

11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

oooh I read a lot too when I was a child @Von Jones , and unbelievably my mother was a nurse..yet somehow I never was taught or read about how Babies were born.

You sound like my o/h when he was a child, he thought everyone around him was childish lol....and he questioned things even when he was very young as an adult would do...never taking things at face value...

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when I believed it when someone told me we could get pregnant from kissing. :)

I also remember when my mom used to tell us not to eat the watermelon seeds because they would grow into watermelons in our stomachs.

I was such a tomboy when I was young and I was always trying to kiss my elbow because someone said if I could kiss it then I would turn into a boy.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I believed that too about seeds and also swallowing gum. :)

Bobby Cole and Babs Hunt like this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My mother would tell me not to swallow gum because it would remain inside my stomach forever. I think she might have believed that though. Come to think of it, maybe that's why I am fat. I have a stomach full of Black Jack chewing gum from 55-60 years ago.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

That reminds me of this song @Ken Anderson: