Cutie and Lydia, Ella Too

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had to take Cutie to the vet when she was 24 because she was in a fight with another cat, who she ran off, but she had received a scratch that became infected.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think I e heard of a cat living as long as yours have @Ken Anderson! You must be doing something right..I'm surprised the vets don't ask you your secret.

My oldest cat died in Hungary at age 16. He's buried in the back yard in my old house in Budapest.

But he might have lived longer but while I was visiting my daughter in California he got out and the neighbor's dog practically took his hind leg off by the thigh area.

Thankfully vets were cheap in Hungary because he was at the vets for a month! The vet did save him but he wasn't the same.

Then the next year when I was visiting my daughter again in CA. When they picked me up at the airport on my return,,,,they told me he died.

My husband didn't care for him so Ive always been suspicious. :(

3. Ken Anderson

Mostly, I think they don't believe me.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Could be...I don't know how you prove a dog or cats age unless you have the papers from the breeder etc.

I have Pickles papers but I doubt I'll have to ever show them....he's been very healthy these 9 years but dachshund do have lots of health issues...mainly back.

Just remembered his bday is Feb. 17!

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

And she's very blessed to have a daddy and moma like you and Michelle @Ken Anderson. :)

6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I knew Chloe's exact birthday February 9 and the kittens are April 15. The day the Titanic sunk and President Lincoln died I believe.

That's sad about your kitty @Chrissy Cross and he's far away. I have thought of the cats we left buried at places we lived.

7. Ken Anderson

Ella decided she liked butter today. I left a stick of butter out, in a butter holder with a cover. But she removed the cover, ate the whole thing, and licked it clean. It was nearly a whole stick of butter.

8. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Good for her coat @Ken Anderson My tabby loves to lick dishes clean for me, but a whole stick. Wow!

9. Ken Anderson

If we offer her people food from the table, or after we're done eating, she will always turn it down. It's like, that's not cat food, I can't eat that. However, she eats trash off the floor, moths and other bugs and now, I guess she eats butter.

Yvonne Smith and Kitty Carmel like this.
  10. Lynda Rhodes

Lynda Rhodes Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I love this thread it will be a great place to hear about all your precious babies & share adventures of my 3 kitty girls. Butterscotch - 4, Adalyn - 2 & baby Destiny - 7 months. Look forward to hearing about all of them!

11. Ken Anderson

By all means, feel free to start threads about your pets. That's a part of what the Pets & Critters area is for.

12. Ken Anderson

Since my wife has been gone, I have been sleeping in the center of the bed, so each of my cats could sleep on either side of me if they wanted to and they wouldn't even have to look at one another. Instead, there are fights and the loser usually goes downstairs to the cat bed, leaving the victor as the only cat in the bed. When they are both intent on staying, then I am awakened with hissing during the night and I might even get swatted in the crossfire.

13. Ken Anderson

Cutie, my only remaining 27 year-old, has never been a winter cat. While all of my other cats would go out in the snow, if there was even a patch of snow on the ground, Cutie wouldn't go out. Well, today was our first really warm day this year, and Cutie wanted to be outside. She went out yesterday a couple of times, but for only a short while. Today was warmer, and she was out. However, while I can let Ella out and just check up on her every now and then, I don't feel comfortable letting Cutie wander on her own. She is very old for a cat, and starting to get a little feeble, both in her body and her mind, and she certainly can't run very fast. So I worry about a stray cat coming along.

Ella has had a few altercations, some of which were loud enough that I could hear them from in the house. She has the sense to determine whether she's going to get her butt kicked or not, and isn't averse to escaping when that makes sense to her. When she's out, I leave the library door open. We have a library that used to be a full-length porch, I think, so I leave the outside door open a crack so that she can get inside the library where there are several places to hide, and where we'd be more likely to hear a catfight. I don't know what Ella uses to judge whether she has the upper hand or not, and I suppose it's a cat thing. I have seen her stand down cats that are bigger than some of the ones she runs from.

Anyhow, I trust Ella with this. Cutie is far too old. There is also the fact that she has always been the alpha cat, and Ella has been kind enough to let her boss her around a lot. Another cat might not do that. Compounding this, she's deaf and sometimes confused, so if I don't know where she is, I can't call her. Technically, I suppose I could call her but it wouldn't do any good. Ella has been pretty good at letting me know where Cutie is when I ask, but I don't want to depend on that. A few times last summer, I lost sight of Cutie while she was out, and asked Ella where Cutie was and she showed me. But she's a year older now, so when she's outside, I stay out with her. Mostly she sits on the porch steps, or lays under a couple of spruce trees. Sometimes she will walk to the back part of the yard. It gives her some stimulus that is clearly good for her, because she's more likely to want to play or otherwise engage after she's been out. It gets her out of lying in the bed and not wanting to do anything.

Okay, enough of this pointless story.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Cutie is a very fortunate "Person" to have your love, @Ken Anderson. I'm sure she returns it tenfold.

15. Ken Anderson

Ella did. She left me two mice at the back door.

That's a tough one for me. I'd really rather she left the mice alone when they are outdoors, but that's a cat thing, and she clearly brings them to me as a gift, so I can't help but praise her for her accomplishments and thank her for the gift, and then dispose of the mice when she's not looking.

Frank Sanoica likes this.