Daylight Savings Time

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Hal Pollner, Mar 14, 2021.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It's currently just Arizona and Hawaii.

From what I read...Indiana was another state that resisted, then some counties decided to observe it (I wonder if there was outside influence), then it all became too confusing to those traveling or doing business within the state and to the rest of the nation doing business with Indiana companies. They finally succumbed in 2006.

I wonder if those businesses in Arizona with customers outside of the state have their employees shift their work hours to avoid confusion.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Arizona is probably confused enough with all the eastern/central snowbirds.

John Brunner likes this.
  3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

I notice Lowes changed its closing time to an hour later right after DST. :cool:

Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  4. John Brunner

That's interesting. I guess people are working on their projects into the later daylight hours. I see that mine is open until 9PM. I'm not sure when they closed during the winter. I read a comment from a Home Depot employee saying that they open an hour early during DST.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

This year, we go back to Standard Time on November 5th, but there is apparently a bill in Congress which could keep us on DST if it is passed and signed into law by the president.
    I have not really heard much about this in the news, but Marco Rubio started the bill in 2022, and it passed in the Senate, and I think that it also passed in the House and now just needs presidential signature. After re-reading the article (which was originally written in 2022, and parts have been updated in 2023), it appears that it was not yet passed in the House in 2022, and it does not say if it passed in 2023.
    Here is the news article about this:
    https://www.timeanddate.com/news/time/us-permanent-dst.html

I looked it up and the last action was that this bill was sent to a committee in March of this year, so it does not look like it is likely to pass and be signed into law by November. I wish it was, I get tired of the back and forth each year, and i like the later daylight of DST.

6. Don Roles

Don Roles Well-Known Member
    Registered

There is much talk in various places about not changing the clocks every spring and fall including here in Canada, it takes me months to get my body to agree with the changed clock by which time they are just about ready to change it again. I just wish the would settle on either standard time or DST and leave it there.......

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, it makes no sense at all for Alaska to have DST or switch back and forth. The supporters say it will destroy the tourist industry if we don't switch. I notice Hawaii and Arizona have destroyed their tourist industry by not switching....:rolleyes:

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

If it aint broke don't fix it. Besides what worked for Ben Franklin and people back then , doesn't mean will work for us 100 years later. IMO:)

9. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Tonight we fall back.
    Yay!

10. Don Roles

Registered

So now I will be awake around 3.30 up by 4.30 waiting for hours for the rest of the world to wake up and join me and looking for my bed right after the evening news ...Oh Joy!

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Life is hard..... then you die. :):):):):):)

@Don Roles , maybe you can try staying up a little later. That might help you sleep later.

I like having an extra hour of sunlight in the afternoons during summer.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  12. John Brunner

This one caught me by surprise. I keep my Apple watch on the charger by the bed overnight. When I got up this morning, I saw the change.

It reminds me of when I managed a 24 hour gas station. "Are we gonna get paid for working 9 hours?" No, but you get first shot at working graveyard shit when we spring forward. ;)

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I was up at 5:15AM Sunday (yesterday) changing clocks. Wife and I went to be around 8:15PM last night, due to the time change and still getting over the Covid vaccine pain in our shoulders. Woke up this morning at 4:30AM and decided to get up. IOW, I had already slept (somewhat) 8 hours and I generally don't sleep any more than that.

My wife needs more sleep than I do, but then again, she had never lived on a farm or been in a military service, like me.

14. Don Roles

Registered

My body and my dog are both still on last weeks time and unlikely to change so have left my clocks on OT (old time) as apart from the time the evening news comes on and my son gets home from work little has changed. Did manage to stretch my rising time and Shadows feeding time till almost 7am OT however which is a big lay in for both of us....

Mary Stetler likes this.
  15. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I hate the time change, as I think most people do. I wish they would leave it one way or another. But as usual, the government doesn’t care what their citizens want.