Did (or Do) You Take Your Lunch To Work?

Discussion in 'Jobs I Have Had' started by Kitty Carmel, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Hardly ever brought my lunch to work. To me going out for lunch was more than a break from the office. When I did bring my lunch I was surely broke.:oops:

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

"12 hour days", Holly? That's a lot of hours. Only job I ever had that I worked that many hours was in EMS back in the mid 70's. After I left that job, I only took jobs that I'd work 8 hr days with weekends complete mine (off). Sure worked for me. Salary wasn't that good, but loved the hours.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep 12 hour days Cody...but that's nothing compared to what my husband does...he works up to 15 hours per day including travel..6 days a week most weeks...

oooh and my daughter works from 6am until bedtime, ( around 10pm) with just about an hours' break whenever she can grab it ...7 days a week!!

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

During most of my employment years, in Manufacturing, I took my lunch quite often. It consisted of left-overs from previous night's supper or made a sandwich. Yep, the old "lunch-time" buzzer or bell would go off and all hourly employees would run to the frig. There were times I'd go to a local Taco Bell or McDonalds and bring lunch back. I'd always have lunch in the area I worked. Never used the Break Room/Lunch Room to eat in. Basically I was a "loner" when it came to lunch (LOL). There were also times that, during my morning break, I'd buy a giant Breakfast Burrito from the Food Truck.

One thing I never did was..........miss Break or Lunch times! Nope, no way!

When I met my wife, she was going out for lunch with ladies she worked with (Accounting Dept.) After meeting me, she decided that, even though she was making a nice salary, it was time to take her lunch to work. Pretty much shocked her co-workers that went out all the time, but. To this day, she takes her lunch to work, unless management takes the Department out for lunch for some reason.

Thing is, most office and salary type people either leave the company for lunch or buy lunch from vending machines or a small cafeteria at their work. Most hourly people don't do that. Yes, there is a difference between the "office" personnel and the "manual working" personnel.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

If I was single (or divorced), I could see having a job with hours like that, but married with or without kids........I'd have to pass on it. However, I do know there are jobs, like law enforcement, traveling sales, EMS and others that have those hours. For me, I just liked having my weekends free and just didn't like working more than 8 hours a day. There are those that make a very nice salary that start work at 8AM and are home every night at 6PM and those that have a nice salary and have to put in lots of hours to have that salary.

During my last job, hours 7AM to 3:30PM Monday thru Friday, wife and I done all kinds of things on weekends. During summer months in Colorado, she'd get home from work at 5:30PM and find me outside running the lawn mower.

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

Cody...we still manage to do stuff on the weekends that hubs has off occasionally..and we always make the time to go abroad on holiday a couple of times a year. generally speking unless you put those types of hours in, you don't fill the coffers so that's why we as a family have always had this work ethic...

Now though I wish my husband would cut back his hours a little bit.. just for his own sake, I think that having been employed for 40 years in the same business working long hard hours, he deserves a little bit of respite... he does get it sometimes..like last week he had a long 3 day weekend and he managed to get some outstanding maintenance done on the house...but it doesn't happen often..

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't know what "coffers" are? Anyway, you, your family, like my wife, have MUCH better work "ethics" than I ever had. When we lived in Colorado and my supervisor/director would tell us (his Dept.) that we could leave due to an oncoming snowstorm or blizzard, I'd already be "out the door and in the truck" before he finished his sentence. Only kidding, but I did leave and quickly. Took PTO. I liked my job, but say I can leave for some reason, and I'm..........gone!

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL....good thing you met a woman with a better work ethic or you'd be on your backside financially now you've retired... ;):D

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Better "work ethic", three college degree's and salaries that made my hourly pay look like.........well, won't go there. But, she was darn glad when I had her buy a lunch box and began taking her lunch to work. Plus, with the nice salaries she has made, she was able to save money that I could never do. But, then again, the college degree's and "above and beyond" experience in her field of work, sure make the difference. Her Resume' looks like she has a PhD, compared to mine.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

cof·fer
    [ˈkôfər, ˈkäfər]
    1. a strongbox or small chest for holding valuables
      * synonyms: strongbox · money box · cashbox · money chest · treasure chest · safe

* the funds or financial reserves of a group or institution
      * synonyms: reserves · resources · money · finances · wealth · cash
    2. a recessed panel in a ceiling.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thanks Ken! Dang it, didn't think of looking up the word. Should have.

12. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL. I should have said it doesn't happen often that my husband gets a long weekend off... Instead I wrote what looked like, he doesn't often get the maintenance on the house done... but he'll do that anyway even if it's on his one day off if it needs it...

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

So he's trying to make me look bad?

14. Holly Saunders

Registered

LOL>... yes probably... ;):D

15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Leaving the shopping area parking lot today the cars were, I don't know how many deep, lining up for the Taco Bell drive through. They were all the way to the street meaning that anyone wanting to turn into the shopping area parking lot couldn't even get in without veering into the outward bound parking lot lane. This was about 1210 so clearly people on their lunch break.

I just found this a little silly. Another reason I take my lunch to work. And if the line is this bad causing a hazard, park and go in! Plenty of parking available in that area.