Do You Believe In Ghosts?

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Roma Downey did a great series years back, think it was called 'miracles'
    Would love to see them again, can't find them

2. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Active Member
    Registered

No, I don't. The Bible is clear on this subject: "For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not anything, neither have they anymore a reward. for the memory of them are forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished..." (Eccl. 9: 5-6).

Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I do. I've never seen one or had an experience either. I don't like the thoughts of ghosts though. I would wish people's spirits would move on.

I don't read the bible. I think the above quote could be open to multiple interpretations.

4. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Kitty Carmel - Spirits do move on Kitty
    Repetitive sightings are just like a video replay of an event/memory - not a spirit at all

5. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would hope so. I've sometimes wondered at places where these were a large amount of deaths at one time, that those people all dying together, didn't stay around. They went on.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

They did - sightings dating back years to the present day are mostly repetitive scenes
    @Kitty Carmel

7. Sharla Skyspirit

Sharla Skyspirit New Member
    Registered

Yes, I believe, I have experienced ghostly apparitions and strange incidents in more than one place. However, what I have and always will question is whether or not these ghostly spirits have the ability to travel, say if/when we move from home to another whether or not those spirits can move with us - Anyone?

8. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I believe in ghosts and have had many things happen that have convinced me . Sitting on the sofa one night with a friend and the sliding glass door opened all the way and then closed again. When I worked for a company doing shipping, two other ladies worked with me, we all were touched on the arm or shoulder and had our hair stroked. The radios in the area would turn on when unplugged,parts would be pushed off the edge of the tables. It got so the other girls wouldn't work by themselves. I do believe and I plan on becoming one. I do not believe that they will hurt you though.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

Hello Sharia - yes loved ones (I believe) will be close no matter where you are :)

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was going to post a poll about this question but, since I see that we have a thread, I think I'll leave it at that. However, since it's been a few years since this thread was last visited, and we have a bunch of members who weren't around then, I'll pop it to the top.

When asked the question about whether I believe in ghosts, I tend to be skeptical. Possibly, it's a matter of interpretation. Could it be that experiences that are interpreted as being evidence of a ghost are actually caused by something else? As with UFOs and Bigfoot, it seems clear to me that a lot of people are simply making this stuff up, others are delusional, and others are the unwilling victims of a hoax. However, there are those who are otherwise sane, yet have truly experienced something that they have interpreted as being a ghost. I trust that people have truly experienced things that they have no other answers for, other than that they are a ghost.

As a Christian, I believe that life does not end with our death, but it's not entirely clear to me just what will happen to us after we die. Reasonable Christians disagree as to just what it is that we can expect.

However, if ghosts are real, I'm not sure how they would figure into it. If ghosts represent some portion of a person's consciousness that has remained after death, I don't know what that means. Do people get to decide whether to remain here as ghosts rather than moving on to heaven or to hell? Could ghosts be people who are relegated to the place that Catholics know as purgatory? Or could they be something else entirely, such as demons, djinn, or something else?

I have had a couple of experiences that could be defined as being ghostly. I don't necessarily define them as such, but neither do I have answers.

One came in a flash and then it was gone, never to return. Shortly after moving to the house that I have now been in for twenty years, I walked into a room - the room where I have my office now, as a matter of fact, and saw the image of a woman in clothes that looked like they might have been from the 1920s or 1930s. She was standing in the room looking as if I had startled her. I saw her fairly clearly, clear enough that I thought it was a real person, but she was gone in an instant.

The town has no records of my house because it was here before the town was formed in the early 1900s. It was a three-unit apartment building when we bought it, but I don't know what it was before that. Some people have told me that it was a boarding house for people who had been hired to build the paper mill, and that would make some sense. The house across the street from me clearly was, as it has dozens of rooms, and some parts of the house are cut off from other parts of the house.

Ours isn't so clear. From the way that it was set up, it seems more likely that it was built as a single-family home, and later split into three apartment units. The part of the house that we use as a library has a different foundation than the rest of the house, and it seems reasonable to me to believe that this was originally built as a porch or a deck, later enclosed and split into two bedrooms. The wall between the library and the rest of the house is an exterior wall, and the door joining the two is an exterior door.

In the crawlspace, I found several jars of canned vegetables that had clearly been there for many decades or even as long as a century, and I can't see someone who is renting a unit in a three-unit apartment building canning stuff and putting it down in the crawlspace, so I think that was done before it was split into apartments.

I haven't been able to find anything about anyone dying in this house. A drunk kid fell out of an upstairs window and died in the hospital later, about ten years before we bought the place, I am told, but I haven't found anything about a middle-aged woman dying here. Then again, those records probably wouldn't exist.

Anyhow, I am not convinced that what I saw was a ghost. What it was, I don't know, but it has never returned.

The other experience is one that I have told elsewhere in the forum. In my story about taking in a feral cat, the cat I was talking about was Bird. We took her in just before we left Texas, and she moved here with us. She lived in this house for more than fifteen years before we temporarily rented a place up north, to be nearer the camp while I was working on it, and my wife had a job up north. Bird went out one day, and didn't come back. She would not have run away so I suspect she was taken by a fox or a coyote. She was in her 20s, but very healthy for her age.

Since we still had the house here in Millinocket, I would drive back every now and then and spend the night here, making sure things were okay here, and so on. Sometime after we lost Bird, I drove back to Millinocket one night. I was here in my office, downstairs, on the computer as I am now. Michelle was still up north, so I was alone here.

I heard something falling down the stairs. Since I was alone here, that was strange so I went to check. A cat toy was on the landing at the bottom of the stairs. I am nearly positive that it wasn't there before because I had swept the landing, since I had tracked snow into the house. Oh well, I was confused by it, but I didn't go immediately to thinking that a ghost had left it there. Maybe it was at the top of the stairs and something vibrated the house, causing it to fall. I didn't know. I went upstairs to look around, but nothing was awry.

I got back on my computer and about fifteen minutes later, I heard something falling down the stairs again. Another cat toy, and not one that I had seen when I had gone upstairs. At that point, things seemed a little creepy. Since Bird wasn't very well-liked by the other cats, given that she had been taken into the house, while the others were born into my family, none of the other cats would play with her. She claimed all the cat toys and, while I played with her whenever I could, she occupied herself by playing with the cat toys. One of her favorite games was dropping a toy down the stairs, then chasing it to the bottom, then carrying it back up to do it all over again.

While Bird was here, the sounds that I heard from my office were not at all unusual, since she was always dropping toys down the stairs, particularly balls and stuff that would roll well. But Bird wasn't here. Was this her ghost? I don't know.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Veteran Member
    Registered

No I do not believe in Ghosts of any kind. Just not logical

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not sure whether I believe in ghosts or not. Seems like there are some suspicious unexplained happenings, though.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Such a good story relating to 'Bird' @Ken Anderson
    Reminds me of the 'Stone tape theory' which I do believe. A home/building will absorb strong emotions good and bad
    sometimes the emotions are re-played, which is why many sightings of 'ghosts' in old buildings are the same, seeing
    a person doing the same thing each time.
    I pasted the Stone tape theory, although you have probably heard of it .......

The Stone Tape theory is the speculation that ghosts and hauntings are analogous to tape recordings, and that mental impressions during emotional or traumatic events can be projected in the form of energy, "recorded" onto rocks and other items and "replayed" under certain conditions. The idea draws inspiration and shares similarities with views of 19th-century intellectualists and psychic researchers, such as Charles Babbage, Eleonor Sidgwick and Edmund Gurney. Contemporarily, the concept was popularized by a 1972 Christmas ghost story called The Stone Tape, produced by the BBC.[1][2] Following the play's popularity, the idea and the term "stone tape" were retrospectively and inaccurately attributed to the British archaeologist turned parapsychologistT. C. Lethbridge, who believed that ghosts were not spirits of the deceased, but were simply non-interactive recordings similar to a movie.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

upload_2020-9-21_8-31-24.jpeg
    In other words, logic just doesn’t apply to some things.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I do believe that there is something, but what exactly a ghost is, or where it comes from, I don’t know. There are enough verifiable reports of people having seen a ghost, or interacted with one in some way, that I think that the phenomenon is real.
    I wish that my Chipper would run around my house, but he doesn’t. One night, after I went to bed, I felt him sleeping on my lower legs and feet , where he always slept. It was before Poodle was sleeping there, so I know that it was not him that I felt.

My mom told me about going to a church meeting, and they had 3 nuns a from somewhere that were speaking that night. She said that the face of one of the nuns suddenly changed and turned into a skull face, and then changed back again. She had no idea why or how that happened, but she said it shook her up pretty bad.