Do You Feel Entitled As A Senior?

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Lon Tanner, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

True enough, although it's odd and a little annoying that the word is used in that way. We are not entitled to freebies, although some people may feel as if they are.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thou doest not comprehend the meaning of the word "Smite," doest thou?

LOL!

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I don't necessarily feel "entitled", but, like many Seniors who worked for years, that word does come to mind concerning Social Security. The word "age entitlement" comes to mind when thinking about Medicare and respect Seniors should get from younger folks. We get the SS and Medicare, but it really seems that many Millennials and younger Generation X folks don't feel like they need to respect our Generation. We drive to slow and we don't understand them when they talk to fast. Just my opinion.

I know this isn't part of this thread, but I do feel "entitled" to the VA Benefits I've gotten and get. Most Veterans would feel that way. I enlisted in the Navy to avoid the Draft and not have to be in combat on the ground in Vietnam. Some of my classmates avoided the Draft by going to college, of which neither I nor my step-parents had the money for. But, after my Honorable Discharge, did use my GI Bill to go to college.

Mark Bayarsky likes this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Regardless of age, respect must be EARNED. No one is "entitled" to respect.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Listen Beth, apparently you don't have any problems with young folks in your family, but that sure doesn't mean all Seniors don't. Yes, respect should be earned, but many from the younger generations don't want to show Seniors respect, no matter what the case is. We see it right here where we live! Even when the Seniors do nothing wrong to young folks, they still hate us driving the speed limit or just being slow in whatever we do.

Thing is, I've never come across a farm or ranch young person that disrespected anyone. Sorry, Beth, but have to stick up for those farm/ranch kids. You, and others, know that about me.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    Mark Bayarsky likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

You have such blinders on in life, Cody. Why do you waste so much of your limited time and energy on resenting people and making assumptions about how they think and feel? I'm sure no one "hates" you for the way you drive, but perhaps you are annoying and holding up traffic. Look to yourself instead of always blaming other people.

And there are plenty of "farm and ranch kids" in my family; I grew up on a farm and most of my family still lives in rural areas. You can't paint everyone with such a broad judgmental brush.

9. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Heck there is a guy I know from my youth. He is (was) a farmer. He now is prohibited from owning animals.
    After some unseeming acts in the bottom of the barn, he picked up the moniker,"Cowpoke".
    Not from his herding skills.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Somehow, as I was reading your post my brain superimposed it dead into the middle of Cody’s and I had to immediately go to the “face palm”.
    upload_2020-11-23_16-12-3.jpeg

And yes, I am entitled with the ability to laugh even when it just doesn’t seem appropriate.

11. Shirley Martin

Registered

Weird friends you have, @Peter Renfro . :eek: Y'all enjoy each other's company, do ya? :D

12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe you equate knowing someone the same as being a friend, but I don't, besides we kept sheep!!:p

13. Shirley Martin

Registered

Whoa!!!!!! Sheep????? Umph, umph, umph! :eek:

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I like to waste time! Does most of your family still farm and/or ranch? You never talk about that lifestyle, however I do of my past. Since I've lived both lifestyles, city and farming, I know the difference in the way both live. I'm not painting everyone the same way, but definitely know the difference in lifestyle between city kids and farm/ranch kids. All I have to do is go to a county or state fair and watch farm/ranch kids showing livestock. They are darn proud of what they've raised.

Beth, you don't live here, so you really don't know what the young folks think of the Baby Boomers and older here. One young lady delivery driver told me, "I just wish all of these old folks would sell their homes and get out of my city." So, in hearing that, Beth, would do you think of what she said to me?

But, basically, the only word I can really think of, which was used in the movie, Weekend At Bernie's............."whatever!" LOL

15. Shirley Martin

Registered

Those darn millennials! :mad:

Bobby Cole likes this.