Do You Have Any Shopping Horror Story?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Angel J More, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Back when I had a car and shopped at a certain super market, there was one cashier who liked to remark on things you were buying as she checked them out.
    "Oh, a case of beer, and chips, I see. Party at this guy's house tonight". She'd announce to everyone in earshot.
    "A bottle of aspirin. Is that for after the party"? It just went on like that. Sometimes I wanted to smack her in the head.
    Worse yet, sometimes her bagger was this jerk of a guy I knew from school days. Some people call me Danny. This guy will say, in a loud voice, "Well hello Danny donut. How's Danny donut today"? I hated that guy. He's dead now. I'm not happy about that. He was always pretty upbeat and laughing.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

I wasn't a shopper but working the night shift at Wal-Mart. A fellow came in with red all over his pants and shirt. He went right over to the bathroom and one of our associates went in the bathroom. Associate asked what he was doing, reply was he was painting a building with red paint. It was blood. He then started to shop around the store, garbage bags, rope, duck tape, knife, when he got to the register my friend checked him out,He paid with a $100.00 bill all bloody. She told him to lay it on the counter, and gave him his change. He went out the door and to a white paneled truck. One other associate was outside and got his license plate # and called the police. We think whoever was in the van could be still alive not sure. Police found the dead body of the man he killed in a dumpster back of Big Lots a mile away from us. Police came in the store, crime tape all over the service desk, bathroom and register he was at. We were all questioned. My friend was releaving me for my 15min. and was in the rest area getting a cup of coffee. Was clueless what happen till I went out on the floor. My friend said, not releaving you anymore.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marilyn Pahl - Oooer :eek: that's 'orrible
    Just as well you were taking a break, you'd have needed one after that ! :eek:

4. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

The one who went to check on this fellow in the bathroom, came out they say white as a sheet, he sure didn't know what the fellow's intentions were. I thought my friend played it cool, not picking up the bill and it stayed on the counter till the police arrived.:cool:

Patsy Faye likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Very cool and level headed, quick thinking too - good man ! :D

6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Ken, your post is shocking! :)

I don't think I have a horror story such as being stolen from.

I was accused of stealing at the flea market when I was there with my mother. A woman was selling rings and stated I stole one. I didn't and my mother let her have it. I'm sure she thought I did. I had my money in my pocket and kept putting my hand in my pocket to check for it. That's what the woman saw.

I think my main horror story is bad service. Once I went to the department store after work to buy a sterling bracelet as a gift.

Me to the twit behind the counter: "I'm looking for a sterling silver bracelet. I......"
    Twit behind the counter: We MIGHT have some ankle bracelets that would fit you"
    Me. Stunned. I think I just walked off.

I never measured my wrist until about a year ago when I saw a beautiful cuff bracelet I liked on Etsy. The measurements given seemed small so I measured my wrist. It's under 6 1/2 inches. I ordered the bracelet. It fits with room to spare.

I know I'm overweight but I'm not huge and I don't wear ankle bracelets on my wrist. I should have made a complaint.

Ike Willis likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Marilyn Pahl

Jesus! This is true???

8. Marilyn Pahl

Registered

Yes it's very true. I don't think anyone who worked the night shift that night will ever forget it. We didn't lack for excitement at that Walmart. When we weren't open 24 hours. Night shift workers were locked inside the building. One night our Supervisor was outside looking for the Frido Lay truck it was running late, 3:00 am. The truck turned in and the driver wouldn't get out or open his windows he kept pointing to the ground. There was one big alligator coming up the driveway entrance. Supervisor was banging on the door to get in, but the doors are time locked. He forgot to place a block of wood to keep the door open. And sat on top of a big garbage can, outside. Then called the police to get Wild Life over there. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just came from Hannaford (grocery store) where I picked up some cheese and crackers, and a few other things. The woman in front of me was in the 14-item express lane with a half a cart full of stuff. But it gets worse.

She pays for a few things with an EBT card, which is what Maine uses instead of food stamps. Then she pays for another group of stuff with another EBT card. Why does this woman have two EBT cards? Then there are some things, like the case of beer, that she can't pay for with an EBT card. She tries four credit cards, all of which are declined. Rather than being apologetic or embarrassed, she acts like it's the clerk's fault that her cards are declined. Finally, she pulls out a wad of cash, still in the envelope that you get when you withdraw a bunch of money from the bank. She pays for the rest of her stuff.

Instead of stepping away, she rummages through her purse for a couple of minutes, then pulls out about twenty lottery tickets and asks the clerk to check them to see if there are any winners. There aren't, so she tells him that she wants to buy new tickets using the same numbers that she used on each of them.

In no particular hurry, I started out being patient.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

You have just won the “International Patience of Job” award!
    I would have lost a major portion of it a moment or two after the second EBT card popped up. Then, after the second debit card was declined, I would have lost the rest of what little patience I had left.
    Then the lottery tickets? Yvonne would be pulling a very vocal husband out the door......

Von Jones and Holly Saunders like this.
  11. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Having a second EBT card does not necessarily mean the criminal act of having two identities for the same person. A person can be an authorized user of someone else's card. For example, if I had an EBT card and was going shopping and my disabled neighbor asked me to take her card to shop for her, it is allowable. An able-bodied person can also make such an authorization. Despite this woman's poor behavior, she may have been doing it all legally. Rudely, but legally.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

The nearest I've ever been to homicidal in a store: busy day, every checkout had 6-8 people in line. The checkouts were situated so that at least three people were "hemmed in" and couldn't back out if there was someone behind them.

The woman in front of me had a full cart, had had all of her items run through and THEN pulled out a stack of coupons big enough to choke an Army mule. OK, we'll get through this..... UNTIL, it develops that a good number of what has been checked is NOT what the coupon is for.

"Ma'am, this coupon is for the 18-oz size and you have the 12-oz size."

"Well, can't I just use it for the 12-oz size?"

"No, Ma'am."

Turning to daughter: "Go get the 12-oz size."

"Ma'am, this coupon is for ABC cookies. You have XYZ cookies."

"I couldn't find ABC cookies. Can I use it for the XYZ cookies?"

"No, Ma'am."

Digging through 12 bags of groceries to find the cookies and handing them to the cashier.. "Then just take these off."

At this point, the daughter returns and whines "I can't find the 18 oz size!!!" "I KNOW IT'S THERE! GO BACK AND LOOK!"

Rinse and repeat...….all through the rest of the pile of coupons.

Thought my head was going to explode.

13. Ken Anderson

I didn't say that it was illegal, although it probably was. Mostly, my comments were to her bad behavior, particularly in an express lane.

14. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

She bought twenty lottery tickets but uses food stamps to pay for food???????

15. Ken Anderson

That's called an investment. ;)