Do You Read Books Regularly or Occasionally?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ruth Belena, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I've ever done that, thank goodness. I haven't got enough space for all the books I already own. I have made the mistake of buying the same book twice though, and that's even worse.

2. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

My trip to the library yesterday was great. I picked up a new book (to me) from 2013, 'Return To Me' by Lynn Austin. She is one of my favorite authors. This book is a fictional account of the return to Jerusalem during the reign of King Cyrus (in Babylon). I am excited about this journey I'll be taking.

3. John Stone

John Stone Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to spend thousands of dollars a year on Amazon for books. Then at some point lots of stuff just started becoming available on-line for free. I almost never buy physical books anymore, but still read things on Kindle and many free PDF formatted books. Most of them are some sort of business or technical information. These days you have to update your knowledge constantly to keep up with the changes, especially on the web. I'm just glad I don't have to buy physical books anymore.

4. Priscilla King

Priscilla King Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm a bookworm. If I'm making $100 in a week I can buy a new book to show support to a writer, and probably will.

5. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

It's interesting that you mention that. Growing up, me and my sister both loved reading, and my mother encouraged it - she actually signed us up for the Nancy Drew club, where we got 2 new books every month. My brother on the other hand, couldn't understand it - he hated reading.

When he was out of college and working, someone gave him "Interview with a Vampire" by Anne Rice and told him how good it was. He felt like he had to read it - so he started it and actually enjoyed it. He asked his friend for more recommendations and started reading "The Hobbit" and" Lord of the Rings" books.

I remember he came to me and said that he finally understood. The only books he had read while in school where "required" books like Shakespeare and Hemingway, which he hated, and he thought all books were like that. It was funny, but rewarding, to see his love of reading develop, after being teased unmercifully as a kid.

Betty Johnstone likes this.
  6. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Regularly, reading books is something that I do literally from my teens.
    Reading books in my opinion helps in some sort of self development.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are always things that i want to learn more about; so I usually read for educational purposes, at least a little every day.
    I also like to read for enjoyment, and used to always have a novel that i was engrossed in; now, it seems like there are other things that are more important for me to do, and I just haven't spent much time reading for entertainment.
    I really like the Amazon Lending Library. You have to have an actual Kindle and an Amazon Prime account to use the lending library; but you can check out a book from their library, and keep it for as long as it takes you to read it.
    You can only have one book at a time, and are allowed one book maximum per month; but it is a good way to be able to read book that are too expensive otherwise, and that you just wan to read, and don't need to own.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I usually only read news on the Internet, but I enjoy reading a book every now and then. I really find the fantasy genre interesting, as it displays adventures we couldn't possibly experience.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm reading absolutely every day, and like Ken, I am mostly reading in bed to fall asleep, though sometimes when I'm free throughout the day also. I also have trouble sleeping, but not falling asleep.
    I wake up in the night and find it hard to get back to sleep. When I can't fall asleep immedIately, I reach for my book and read for half an hour or so. This usually will distract me from whatever is keeping me awake, and make it easie to fall back asleep.

Pat Davis, Joe Riley and Ruth Belena like this.
  10. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I love to learn how people lived and how they coped with their struggles, and i get a glimpse of the answers by reading books, mostly biography books.

Pat Davis, Joe Riley and Ruth Belena like this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been in my lifetime an avid reader, however, the last several years, I have not read as much. I lost vision in one eye and reading became more difficult. I still read but I'm much more particular what I read now. I am currently "The Road To Character" by David Brooks and I plan to read "A Lucky Life Interrupted" by Tom Brokaw next. I guess it's fair to say I have been a life long reader of the western novel, and still read one when I think I have found a good one.

12. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I read every day. I studied 19th-century literature and it is still an obsession of mine. History is also something of an obsession and I've been engrossed by the Byzantine empire of late.

One of the daftest questions I've ever been asked - and there are plenty - came during a job interview some years ago. I mentioned that I was something of a bookworm and was asked what kinds of books I liked. Since I wasn't particularly interested in the job, I thought I'd be sarky and replied, "Ones with words in."

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I enjoy reading books. I read both Fiction and Non-fiction (Biographies especially). We use the library a lot in Winter months, less in the Summer. We usually load up two book bags on each visit. I like that I can still light a candle or oil lamp and read a hundred year book, if I have to!;)

Bill Boggs likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Two weeks ago I went to the library and checked out five books. I read one of them. Tried to read another. I returned them yesterday. I have Been reading "The Road To Character" but so far it's boring. I doubt I will finish it. It's been a while since a book has lit a fire and I didn't want to put it down. I don't know what I'm looking for, what will interest me. Politics seems my one endearing interest. But what to read?

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

To paraphrase Will Rodgers, I never met a book, I didn't like.;) When I go to the library, I choose books by the titles and covers. I have come up with many "duds & duplicates" it seems I find certain shelves in the "eye-level" range, which are easier to see than the upper and lowest shelves (at least with bifocals). I guess what hooked me the first time I chose the book, still is at work. I find this process very satisfying, and just work my way through the batch. My Wife has said,that when I read a book, I become lost in it. I also like book marks, and my favorite one is the Bible, in 50 words.:)