Do You Stockpile At Home?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Holly Saunders, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Does it count as 'stockpiling' if you have multiple 'junk' drawers with every nut, bolt and screw,
    known to man, in them?

No matter how many times my wife with throw all of these out, like the Wildebeest on the Serengeti,
    they will migrate back to those drawers!

So if things need fixing up until the end of the World, I'm set.:)

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I swear that whenever I do that, I'll need something that I had just dumped. I threw away a bunch of electrical cords, most of them with connections that no longer fit anything that I used any more, others to telephone lines or DSL, which I also didn't need. Then I wanted to show off a very old compact box television that I have had for ages and found that I didn't have the power cord for it.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

When we were little we lived on a farm and my father had various five-gallon buckets filled with screws, nuts, bolts, washers, etc... He would hand us a damaged item or give us a description of what he needed and it was our job to poke around with an old screwdriver in the buckets until we found what he needed. Looking back I think that it might have been his way of getting rid of us for a few minutes so he could concentrate.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I am definitely stockpiling a few bits Pre brexit!! Just a few staples etc... but we're getting such mixed messages about what will be more expensive. or not available, or very hard to get because being an island we import so much from Europe, so I'm stocking up things that have been mentioned of which there could be a shortage!!

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Everything will probably be available, but could certainly cost more.

images - 2019-09-18T193257.317.jpeg

6. Holly Saunders

Registered

We don't know that's the problem. The Govt have said that there will definitely be a shortage of some goods, and there definitely will be a price increase in other goods and services and ostensibly some goods will be less expensive ( hmmmm..I don't believe that last one, I remember they promised us the same when we joined the European Union in 75)...... but no-one is clear about what of the former !!

7. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

Now, when I buy shampoo, soap, etc, instead of buying 1 large container, when I need to replace it, I buy 2.

I buy 3 bags of frozen vegetables of the same product and place them in a gallon size zipper lock bag and date it.
    The extra cost of the zippered bags is worth it because of the convenience.

OT Frozen vegetables are often fresher than the fresh vegetables in regular grocery stores.
    They take a truck into the field and wash and freeze them on the spot. Fresh produce can take days to be delivered to the stores.
    Also, no sodium is added - check labels.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Despite the possibility of Brexit and potential shortages... I keep stocked up with everything on your list ... always have at least 4 or 5 large packs of T-Paper and Kitchen paper in the stock cupboard..

Oil is another thing..Olive oil and Groundnut il

I have 12 litre cartons of Skimmed milk in the cupboard at any one time

pasta, Rice,
    canned veggies (tomatoes, beans (baked, kidney and butter) , chickpeas, Canned fish ( Tuna, Mussels, Mackerel, ) Sugar, sweeteners, tea-bags..

The bathroom vanity cupboard has about 20 new toothbrushes and Interdental brushes ..several bottles of Mouthwash, ditto soap, ..

I haven't had to buy polish, window cleaner or laundry soap for about a year because I have so much already stored!

Always stock up with antiperspirant,shampoo and conditioner.. moisturising cream..and hand wipes for in my bag when I'm out.

In fact there's barely a thing I don't stockpile tbh!! ..

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep, I'm a stockpiler. :D I have auto-deliveries from Amazon of paper products (TP and paper towels), shampoo, cleaning supplies, etc. I'm also a k-cup hoarder and always have a minimum of 4 cases of coffee pods stashed. I rotate them to make sure we use the oldest ones first. I try not to buy so much food anymore but old habits die hard... we have 5 kids and I was used to buying enough for an army.

Holly Saunders and Von Jones like this.