Does Any Member Have Peripheral Neuropathy Or Lymphedema?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Many people who have had chemotherapy have developed peripheral neuropathy. I believe one treatment option is prescription nerve medications, such as gabapentin or lyrica. Some use CBD creams. Sorry you are having neuropathy; I understand that it can be terrible.

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Ron Beforee

Ron Beforee Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks, it is terrible for sure.

I have spent a lot of time traveling to & from various treaments , and trying various medications for it. Not to mention spending a significant amout of money on it. Medicare doesn't cover much of the treatments/therapies/medications . But when one is approaching desparation for pain relief, we continue to look for anythig that may help.

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I totally understand that. When I went through chemo last year I was advised to ice my hands and feet during the infusions. That was to narrow my blood vessels so that the chemo wouldn't do nerve damage to my extremities. I had to sit with ice on my hands and feet for over an hour each time but thankfully I didn't get neuropathy. Unfortunately, many people do. Sometimes the cure is as bad as the disease.

I hope you can find something to give you a bit of relief. You might find some cancer forums and search for neuropathy information. There are many people suffering with it unfortunately.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I had it in my hands and feet only, and mine was caused by Type 2 diabetes. My fix came in a natural form, yes, it surprised me when it worked too. I dropped my sugar/carbs that turn to sugar, down to below 50 grams per day, then I ended up down to below 30. It was not easy, but within weeks I noticed the good changes, including pain, numbness, and other benefits like weight-loss, and no cramping in legs or feet. I also added some supplements, Magnesium, B12, and B1. I'm 15 months into this routine of eating and still have one, tiny spot of tingling on one big toe, but not pain.

In fairness I have to say the exercise I do must have a lot to do with my success as well. I walk at least 3 times a week, just 30 minutes. Also some weight resistance with stretch-bands, and some light hand weights. I know that there is a need for meds, and would take them if I really had to, but so far, I don't need them.

I too so hope you find what works for you, just the little bit of pain I experienced was so scary :(
    PS almost forgot my electrolytes, and making sure I get enough of those each day. I just use drops (called Endure) in my water.

5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Alpha lipoic acid seems to work for diabetic neuropathy, but I don't know about other forms of neuropathy.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I've heard a lot of good coming from the use of ALA @Don Alaska but it's one I bought, then tried only a couple of days, didn't stick with it. That was back before my diagnosis and seems like I was trying it for maybe tinnitus or essential tremor (which now, I just live with both).

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I have peripheral neuropathy. I'm not diabetic, at least not yet.

I take Gabapentin. It helps but not a lot. Mostly I just live with it and move on. Nobody's been able to find the cause; I've had about every test.

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry you have to deal with this .Seems we all have so much as we age to deal with. Hope you feel better and find some kind of treatment for relief.

9. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've found in the last few decades, starting in and through medical, pharmacy school, and working in hospitals around the usa
    that "medicattion" is usually if not always a cause of the pain
    and relief comes "outside" the so-called pro-medical fields.
    It is available , with astonishing - almost 'miraculous' good results frequently.
    Sadly because people think if a drug doesn't work, nothing will, and are and have been taught that since before they were born - parents and grandparents often fueling that way of wrong thinking.

Denise Evans and Alan Sidlo like this.
  10. Ron Beforee

Registered

Thanks for the repllies ......

Along with the treatments / therapies [up to and including Stem-Cell .... I do take ALA 600mg p/day , Gaba 1800mg p/day [considering bumping that up to 2400 p/day]. Also do take Magnesium 400mg and my "B"s as well.

I'm thinking that at this point, I've tried just about "all there is" that can think of. So from time to time , I ask the question I did.

I have heard & read that statins can have some 'cause' ,so maybe I''ll drop that for a bit, see if anything changes ?

Denise Evans and Don Alaska like this.
  11. Ron Beforee

Registered

Have wondered about "outside" the norm approach ........ Just not sure where to start.

I have lost a lot of faith in research on the net ......... there is a lot of B/S out there.

12. Jeff Elohim

Registered

Recently at a large nearby hospital, a group of dozens of heart surgeons was addressed by a new concept to some of them - 'sttins' help one person after the number of people treated got to sixty four. i.e. Sixty four people were treated for some time before one person was helped. There was no mention how much harm was done via side effects and so forth.
    At the same time, the same presentation at the hospital, they were shown
    a protocol that , out of sixty four patients,
    helped sixty four patients. i.e. one hundred percent. with no side effects.
    They all were paid every day though for prescribing drugs, not helps.

p.s. don't look up oreganol or glutathione.

13. Jeff Elohim

Registered

We all since birth were taught a lot that is always wrong. Yes, it is difficult and rare to actually find the truth in any venue, or anywhere.

p.s. do not start by looking up oreganol or glutathione.

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had it after radiation treatment for prostate cancer. I hated the Gabapentin more than I did the neuropathy so I quit taking it and, now, I'm not sure if it went away or I got used to it, accepting it as a normal condition, as I have other limitations and pains.

15. Ron Beforee

Registered

OK, I won't ...:rolleyes: