Does Anyone Else Have a Blog Online?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am working on having an online blog. It is just basically asmall one for my family, and I have it set up on google Blogger, which seemed to be an easy place to put it.
    It all started because my oldest son asked me to write down some of the information about when I was growing up, and some of the stories that my mom and dad told me, and later on my kids, about the "old days".
    My parents were born in the early 1900's; but due to the Great Depression, and then World War 2; they didn't have me until they were in their 40's. So some of the early pictures and stories were from way before I was born, like Mom's story about the longhorn cows chasing them in the buckboard on the way to school. (This particular story so terrorized both myself and my daughter that, to this day, both of us are deathly afraid of cows)
    Anyway (back on topic), I decided that the best way to do this was to write down the stories as I remember them, and then just put them online as a blog. Sometimes, it is a long way inbetween the stories; but it is something that I have been enjoying doing, and also a good way to preserve family history.
    Along with the stories, we are trying to get all of the old pictures uploaded, so that we can share those with each other, and the younger generation as they are interested.
    If you would like to read some of the stories, the web address is on my forum profile.

Cindi Marie Bauer likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

3. Harrison Greenberg

Harrison Greenberg Veteran Member
    Registered

I have started a blog a few years ago just jotting down what I did in my daily duties, and eventually I started moving to more educational posts and helping other people in their education endeavors.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

I have one partially completed. It would be for business (income) purposes. I am disabled and I would like to find a VERY flexible part-time job to supplement my income and I only can find "jobs" that pay a pittance. So it is on my "to-do" list to make a blog, put some advertising on it and do whatever it takes to monetize it. Whether or not I'll gain readership is anyone's guess!

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Those of you who have blogs might be interested in knowing that the Aviva Directory is accepting free submissions to its blog directory, whereas there is a fee of $149 for submissions to its regular directory. Free submissions probably won't last forever so take advantage of it while you can.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I am in the process of setting up a blog to address the concerns baby boomers may have about how to handle their need for medicare supplements and what the needs are when you live longer than you planned for. Today 65 is not the accepted retirement age, people are continute to work well past 70, not always for the money but for something to do. Companies not longer provide pensions that provide for a person to live much past 65. People need to be educated on what their choices are and how to protect themselves.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Priscilla King

Priscilla King Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm priscillaking.blogspot.com. It's evolved over the years, from being an unsatisfactory substitute for the Associated Content hack writing experience, through being where I ranted and raved about bills in the Virginia legislature (I now do that at a U.S.-only site), to its current content goal of one book review per day plus Link Logs, guest posts, and the occasional rant from me, as available.

8. John Stone

John Stone Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the tip! I've got a few blogs out there. What is the advantage of submitting a blog to a web directory? I've heard of them, but I'm not really familiar with what they do.

9. Ken Anderson

A blog directory is, in some ways, both a niche directory and a general directory. They are a niche directory in that they list only blogs, but they are a general directory in that they cover a large variety of topics, often including even a regional section. They offer the same advantages as other directories. Depending on the directory, they might help your positioning in the SERPs, and you might get some direct traffic. Some blog directories are stand-alone, in that this is all they do, but other general directories, such as Aviva and BOTW, have both a regular directory and a blog directory.

John Stone likes this.
  10. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a blog, but I used to have a lot of them in the past.
    Writing, sharing my opinions and my experiences are my hobbies. :)

11. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I have created five blogs on Blogger and before that i joined a team of bloggers on World Village owned by Joel Comm. That blog at World Village and another at Orble had 200 or more article entries each but those blog articles are now gone when the sites changed or the owner did not renew domain names. That's the prize if you do not own your domain and hosting, anytime it can be taken or erased from the blogosphere.

Jenna Parnellson and Diane Lane like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

@Teresita Campaner , it sounds like you must be an experienced blogger and writer, Teresita ! I don't know how you managed to keep up with five blogs.
    I do enjoy mine, but it is just basically a personal kind of blog; so there is no pressure to write on it except when I feel inspired to add a new story about our family's history.
    Do you still have that many active blogs on Blogger , and what topics do you blog about ?
    I think that i would like to have a blog or even a webpage that would also have some advertisements and generate passive income; but I am not sure how to do that yet.
    Do you make money from your blogs ?

13. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

I have started a few in the past but never followed up on them. A couple of them were doing pretty good, but then I got bored with them.

14. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not as active now as I was before in adding fresh content to my blogs. I created blogs on Alternative therapies, book reviews on young adult books, Adsense entrepreneurship, celebrity blog, and another about business marketing. I don't make money on these blogs, only peanuts. I made my first $100 from Google adsense from joining adsense-sharing sites such as webanswers.com

15. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

Nowadays, a lot of people have blogs online, it's a way to spend your free time especially when you're on your retirement.
    I did have a lot of blogs in my life, but I don't have time for it now.