Does Anyone Else Have a Blog Online?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a travel blog that I add to about once a month. This is partially because I want to keep active as a writer, but hopefully it gives other people a bit of amusement and inspiration. It's about Eastern Europe.

http://duckholiday.com/

2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Tom Locke, Oh I wish I could go to Europe, but I admit I'd be afraid to go by myself. I'm 63, and never been on my own before. I wouldn't be sure I was safe, and I do tend to be gullible. I also admit to having a very sketchy education, as I went from the fifth grade at 10, to college at the age of 35. So of course there is a very big gap in my storage of knowledge, and I wouldn't know what to see one way or the other.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ina, try this link. For some reason the link does not work with the slash afer the "www" in it, but when you put in the dot after the www, then it does work; at least it worked for me.
    Try this and see if it works for you, too. Bill might just need to adjust his link and take out the slash after the www part and put in the dot instead.

http://www.thelastsooner.blogspot.com

4. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Although on my own I have always enjoyed travelling. Could you not try a tour where it is structured and you would be with other like minded people.

Please be assured that countries like Austria, Germany, Holland, Italy are safe

5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it's fair to say that anywhere in the world is safe enough if you're in an organised travel group. Obviously, nobody can legislate for everything that happens, but I've travelled to over 40 countries and have rarely felt any sense of threat. In fact, I've probably felt more nervous walking around London at night than I have in some of the so-called dangerous places in the world.

6. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Well said Tom and I totally agree with you about London. :)

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

A small and true story: I was working in Ethiopia a few years ago and was sitting in a hotel bar with my friend, having a drink and watching BBC World News. We saw riots in Paris, disorder on the streets of Budapest and demonstrations in London. My friend (an Irish woman) turned to me and said, "You know, any Ethiopian watching this must think Europe's one hell of a dangerous place."

Jenna Parnellson and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've also had a few blogs over the years, where the site shut down, or was bought out (one by Twitter), and discontinued, so those blogs went away. I have one for my shop now, but haven't been as active as I should be. I post when I can, but since I've never had a sale that derived from there, as far as I know, there isn't much motivation. The stalking situation has turned me off from sharing much of a personal nature online, so I pretty much promote my shops and keep a few private accounts with just people I actually know, where I share more personal information and events.

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Diane
    I've known a number of people who advertised merchandise through a blog but I think she shut hers down and joined a group situation.
    I've also known several people who write under a fiticous name. One writes four days a week for years under Grumpy Old Dog. I guess I don't understand the stalking comment.

Ina:
    By the way, thanks, Ina for trying to read my blog.

10. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs, hey I got there. Your blog I mean. I really enjoyed the part I read. Of course I'll be going back for more.
    I also left a comment. (After I figured out to do that.)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you. I'll have to go read what you said.

12. Cindi Marie Bauer

Cindi Marie Bauer Active Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith, my husband just read to me what your blog was about, and I was intrigued.

Marie Mallery and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

I just found an app that is perfect for making an online journal. It has a free version, or you can have a premium version with extra perks and benefits; but just the free one is working for me right now.
    I a still learning how to use it, but you can journal things from you past or have one like a current diary or journal, either one, or both.
    It is called Day One, Journal.

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Cindi, welcome, my first grandchild name is Cindy. Which [probably not your real name but good choice.

Cindi Marie Bauer likes this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

My son set up the Day One journal so that people in my family can share stories all in one place. The Day One has been working on getting that set up, and now the journals can be shared, so I am in the process of integrating my journal stories with his journal.
    Once we get everyone set up with the same website for our journals, we can all add in what we remember about the family stories.
    This is not like my google blogspot, where i could just link the website and people could read it, it will only work for my family who share the Day One journals.

John Brunner and Bobby Cole like this.