Does Google Control You?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, May 15, 2024.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Personally I don't spend a lot of time worrying about google or any other of the thousands of data miners. I can't imagine why "they" would care what I do, unless they are focusing on advertising and tracking my spending habits. I'm too old to worry about what nefarious plans might be in place, so as long as they don't hack my bank account or mess with my social security account I will be OK.

I have enjoyed the occasional Youtube video (owned by Google), use my Fitbit trackers (owned by Google), etc. It seems that I can't escape their tentacles so I don't bother. I still use google as my main search engine out of habit.

Jack Roberts likes this.
  2. Thomas Terry

Thomas Terry Member
    Registered

Do you think this is just a Google problem?
    The way things are done here is certainly widespread and affects many more companies and sectors.

‘They’ don't care what you do, algorithms and AIs have been doing that for a long time.
    You should think about the consequences. It affects you whether you realise it or not. As a result, it also restricts your own life. For example, you only receive customised advertising, your circle becomes ever narrower, you are never shown new things outside your own ‘bubble’. This may not be bad for one person, but if it affects more people and society (and it does), then it becomes a problem. Pluralism adé.

3. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I read somewhere,maybe Epoch news that Google and Facebook were removing the Trump assassination attempt as fake news wherever they could.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Not only that, people have been doing searches, and even when you put Trump in the search engine, it asks if you want to know about Kamala Harris instead of giving answers for Trump, like he dies not even exist in the search engines. And the AI bots are even worse for completely eliminating results about Trump.

One of the interesting things that this is causing, is people are more and more coming to Twitter where they have uncensored news from everywhere, and can hear actual statements of news. Twitter (X) is not the number one social media platform, ahead of facebook, instagram, and the others.
    Also, some of the telecommunications companies (like C-Spire) that stopped supporting the Olympics, are now running ads on Twitter instead, because they realize that is where their advertising will be best responded to.

5. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Apparently "they" do care; algorithms and AIs didn't invent themselves. And as I said, I don't care about the consequences; I'm old and not susceptible to advertising except when it annoys me. My entire life is an ever-shrinking bubble because I'm older and prefer my own "bubble."

6. Thomas Terry

Thomas Terry Member
    Registered

They don't remove it, no one from outside intervenes explicitly. It's completely natural. The old news (attack on Trump) is overlaid by new news (Harris new candidate).
    That was exactly the strategy behind the nomination. Trump out of the media, Harris in.

Trump and Harris are always associated with politics. If you now search for a political topic, all kinds of topics related to politics are suggested. The results are then suggested according to views and reach. So if you search for “Trump”, the search engine knows it has to do with politics. The topic of “Harris” is currently omnipresent in the field of politics - so it is also suggested to you although you searched for Trump.

No, it influences large parts of your life. Whether you want to admit it or not, whether you see it or not.
    Algorithms and AI were certainly not invented to sell us insurance, food supplements, soft drinks...to sell us..
    To believe that you can escape this is very naive. The smaller your bubble gets, the more susceptible you become - not just to advertising - to (fake) news, extreme positions,... As long as you know that there is still something outside your bubble, you can be fine, but you will get to a point where you no longer realise it.

Mary Stetler likes this.
  7. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

My bubble is not small. It is just I use very little on line stuff. I go to my search engine weather page, I check my email, I come here. I do a few people on youtube which I might stop doing. I need to spend more time at the farm getting ready for winter.
    I need to clean my house but...
    My hubby and I don't spend a lot of time together so the phone or laptop can't pick up our conversations. My neighbor next door said she noticed that more ads pop up with regard to conversations they have at her kitchen table. Not sure if it's a real 'thing' but it sounds like it.
    Nothing in my house is smart, including me:D

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.